Gelding an older stallion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoRebel

Reaction score
We have a 17 yr old stallion who is just not interested in breeding anymore. I've tried now with 2 mares that have been in full blown heat cycles (one of which I know he likes). He's been hand bred before and had no problem with it last year when he had only one mare. The mare never took as far as our vet can tell. This year he has absolutely no interest in breeding anything. Period.
default_wacko.png
:

My question is would it be alright to geld him at 17? I'd do it in the fall when the weather is cooler. Would it cause more problems to geld him now than just let him be a stud? He's wonderful (most of the time) with the colts up to 2 yrs old. He'll put them in their places and let them know where they stand in the herd but never attack or viciously hurt them in any means....

Opinions???? Thanks in advance!
default_yes.gif
:

We gave a horse to somebody and they had him gelded at 15-16 with out problems. Far as I know he is still alive(19 now) and liveing with the mares.

I had a 19 year old stallion gelded just 6 weeks ago. He was VERY interested in breeding, but unfortunately, a fertility test proved him to be sterile. He hardly seemed affected. Healed very quickly. He is calming down nicely and is much easier to handle. I think he is going to make someone a very nice pet.

We gelded a stallion at age 15 without a problem. His priority in life now is mealtime!

MA

default_please.gif
: Anyone else with opinions????

Thanks to those who have offered their opinions already!
default_yes.gif
:

My arab was gelded at 14. Today he is just fine at 21. He was always a very calm stallion and he is still very calm. I did not own him at the time so I don't know how long it took for him to 'calm down', but I know the procedure was done at home with no problems and he healed well. I bet your boy will do just fine being gelded. L

I have a mare here that my stallion is not interested in breeding. I'm not sure why. Maybe she smells funny to him or something.......I have no clue. Maybe your stallion just has his favorites, or wants some new girls.

I also had a racehorse that was as picky as he could be. One year I had several mares for him to cover, and he would only breed half of them and could not take an interest in the rest. I'm not sure what that is all about.

Perhaps he is just very picky too.

Just something to ponder.

I have done several older boys-12-14-15 all of them made out fine and became much better horsey citizens.They are happy since they now have pasture buddies.

I gelded my 24 year old stallion Debonaire last year - all went well, he still exhibits some stallion behavior, but does not show any interest in breeding mares - now herding them around is another thing, but the possessive nature is not anywhere nearly as dominant as it used to be. Wouldn't try to turn him out with my other stallion tho - on fence lines there is a lot of squealing and posturing going on, but my older stallion doesn't stick with the fight much anymore - still, I would not want to see either of the boys hurt, so won't be risking them out together.

I have never had one that old that was gelded but my neighbors have, and have had NO problems at all. Check with your vet and yes, that is wise to wait til cooler weather. I would go for it.

Tiffani,

This is a great thread.
default_yes.gif
: I am so glad that you put it on LB! :aktion033: I am getting some good ideas and even though I hate to even think about gelding Boss, :eek: I know that it is a possible solution for the future.
default_yes.gif
:

Most folks are successful gelding aged studs, and as many have posted, even mini ones. There is more blood when gelding an aged animal, and greater risk. Because of clotting issues, older animals are often stalled to minimize movement for the first few days, and make sure everything is clotting as it should be.

While many sounded as if their animals were successfully gelded at home, it is often a safer bet to have an older animal gelded in a clinic environment. My trainer decided to geld her 19 year old mini stallion a few years ago. The procedure was ultimately successful, though her vet was very reluctant to perform the operation, and risk losing the grand kids good pony.

If he were mine, not interested in breeding, and a pleasant boy to be around/handle, I'd probably be tempted to leave him with mares that I'd leave open anyway, and just fill out the cya stallion report annually.

Latest posts

Back