Foaling Alarms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoria

Reaction score
After many years of sending our mares out to be foaled we have decided to keep our mares at home from now on. Can anyone recommend a foaling alarm that they like and why they like over other types. Also does anyone know any good places to purchase from.

[SIZE=12pt]We use the Equipage Foaling alarm! We've used it for 5 years and have never missed a foal! :aktion033: :aktion033: [/SIZE]My Webpage

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got Magic Breed, available through Shoof. It's great, sure you get false alarms when the heffalumps go moonbathing, but I'd rather that than arrive too late!

There's also a NZ version that I believe is cheaper than MB, but just the same type of alarm. Just gott go look it up...

Breed Ezy is the one I found.

We're going to try to set up a camera this year too, something we can monitor through the computer.

We also use equipage but the darn thing goes off every now and then just because it feels like it. :eek: Though, we also, have never missed a foal while using it.

We've found that for best use, use vet wrap to keep it tight on the halter. Otherwise when the horse plays in the food bucket, or whatever reason, it keeps it almost always quiet.

The two top brands here in the U.S. are Breeder Alert and EquiPage. Both are pricey, but taking in the possibility of losing a foal, they're worth it.

Breeder Alert has been around longer and I think is slightly less expensive.

EquiPage is very similar to Breeder Alert but seems to have made itself desireable because it's improved the same basic concept.

Both seem to have very good customer service.

I would check out both and compare. I think both have links on LB's Breeders List page?

My other recommendation would be to check out closed circuit camera systems for your barn as well. Having both is invaluable. And when the occasional time that the halter alert ends up not working, having the camera on your mare (and you setting your alarm during the night
default_wacko.png
: ) is much better than running out to check!

Just my 2 cents........

MA

Thanks for the info. Nope we wouldn't considering foaling without an alarm...

Yes we have been trying to find a suitable cctv system for the barn for quite sometime as I like to use it for monitoring sick horses, we also want one that can do 2 locations inside the barn and in the barn foaling area just outside my bedroom window (but I have a non horsey husband to consider), plus have 2 locations that can view - my house and my mothers, haven't found anything quite right just yet. Any suggestions?

I like and use the foal buzzers that the people from New York sell here on the sales board. They are very innexpensive, and when used in conjunction with a camera system have worked well for me. I have not been able to afford a more expensive Equipage system yet, and although this system doesn't allow you to be notified when you are not in front of your TV monitor, it has saved many babies for me! I am sure they would ship internationally for the shipping fees.

I like and use the foal buzzers that the people from New York sell here on the sales board. They are very innexpensive, and when used in conjunction with a camera system have worked well for me. I have not been able to afford a more expensive Equipage system yet, and although this system doesn't allow you to be notified when you are not in front of your TV monitor, it has saved many babies for me! I am sure they would ship internationally for the shipping fees.
Do you have to go out an reset this type?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Breeder Alert system along with cameras. Besides foaling they are good for watching sick horses.Saving just one foal will pay for the system.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back