Foal IgG tests

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frekles93

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]This weekend I went to a vet meeting in Branson MO. They have venders there tring to push their products.. yada yada..... Well this on booth caught my eye. It had daily stuff. Well I had previously worked on a dairy for 8 years before I went to the clinic. Hard habit to break.Got to looking and they have milk tests. Well it was for calfs IgG levels. Looked to the other side and there was FOAL ones. KOOL got to reading and they where for the mares colostrum to see if the levels where high enough in her milk. They also have blood tests for the foals. I dont know about you, but I thought this was a GREAT idea for horse breeders. These are ways you can find out if your foal has access TO the antibodies and if they GOT them. I have 5 of the milk tests (free samples) and I am going to get some blood ones. If there are low IgG levels, I can load up and go post haste to the vet and stop any problems. QUICKLY. Here is the sight... enjoy.... [/SIZE]

http://www.midlandbio.com/

April

Interesting site... the only thing I see perhaps not working with this is that it tests the colostrum itself not the actual levels in the foal - so it would be possible the milk tested OK for anti-bodies and still the foal for whatever the reason may be didn't absorb enough of them?

I just bought a 3 test foal IgG kit and their pipetter (needed for the tests). They were the most reasonably priced ones I found and that ship FAST! Very easy to work with.

The only other kind I found would have cost me about the same price as I paid for the 3 test kit, EXCEPT, i would have only gotten one test!

I have never used them (from these companies), but I had to buy some because the vets out here don't do their own lab work. Figured I'd buy the tests and have the vet do them that way I'd know for sure.
default_yes.gif
:

Interesting site... the only thing I see perhaps not working with this is that it tests the colostrum itself not the actual levels in the foal - so it would be possible the milk tested OK for anti-bodies and still the foal for whatever the reason may be didn't absorb enough of them?
You are correct Lisa, the mare's milk can be high quality, but the foal many not be able to absorb it for whatever reasons. If you plan to save colostrum to have it available "just in case" the milk tests would be helpful in knowing the quality of the milk you are saving. But I would still test the foal to make sure they got the immunity.

Guys I am so with you on this Igg testing, I have had to have foals in the past get the transfusion because of poor Igg levels, something that can be corrected and deadly if not attended to. If you are going to breed, you need to take on All the responsibility of checking foals at birth. This makes it much easier. My filly this morning, see Oh MY Golly Miss Molly, tested low. She was from a Maiden mare and as we do not know all the answers as to why she tested low, I am just glad that we found out in the time frame allowed, seeked the necessary treatment and Whala, the proof is in the pudding
default_yes.gif
:
4fe17498.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]I think the milk tests are a value because you can tell IF the mare has a good level. If not a good level , you can bet on the foal crashing. Stop it before it happens. If she does and the foal has nursed...... chances are the foal will do good. Using the milk along with the foal blood one I think is just a good idea. To me they dont cost too much. I see foals that come in the clinic so far gone because they didnt get enough colostrum. The quicker you know what the mares milk is like the quicker you can get something done. No the milk one alone is not an indicater of what the foal has absorbed. Thats why I want to go with the blood one too.[/SIZE]

April

Can you purchase directly from them or do you have to go thru your vet?

April, this is very interesting. I understand what your saying abt the two fold test. If you test the mare and her levels are low then your fairly certain the foal didn't get it. Then you would use the foal blood test to check the foal or take them to the vet to be checked.

Thanks for the info!

Debi

Now Keep in mind this is only what I do and my opinion. I have learned that if you are going to go through the trouble of selecting stallions and mares and investing in breeding quality horses that you are going to show and sale you need to be a responsible breeder. It is more than just buying a mare bred because you want a baby. This can get very expensive and that is why my horses are not the cheapest for sale. I do not go overboard but I do what I feel is important for the health and welfare of the animal.

I check all my foals after foaling within a 6=8 hour time frame. I do not check mares milk because even though the mare may produce a large bag that is dripping wet with colostrum that does not mean the resulting foal has absorbed the required amount to sustain a healthy start. Nor does it mean that the mare has even produced good colostrum. There is no real way of telling and if you wait for the foal to start showing signs of illness, it could be to late.

When I have a foal born, I start right away monitoring its temp. this is always one of the first signs of the foal not getting the needed ingredients to a good and healthy start. Normally an infection, most commonly in the joints, is the first indication that you are in trouble. This type of infection can be extremely expensive to battle and the results are not always positive. An ounce of prevention.

I have seen the kits out on the market for testing the foal for IgG levels but I have found the best way for ME to do this is through my vet. Most test require blood plasma that is not an easy task to get from a foal. The results are instant and the vet I use has ordered plasma in small bags just for me and my minis. If you are into the breeding and your vet is new into minis, ask them to order small bags of plasma so that the cost will be kept way down. Having to give plasma is expensive, but for me it is worth it.

I have in the past not tested my foals IgG levels because I thought they just LOOKED to healthy to be sick, only to get up a few day after foaling and finding my little ones to weak or having to ill of joints to even get up. It can cost into the triple digits to save a foal from this type of infection, you need to decide what is right for you, your foal and your pocket book, before you breed.
default_yes.gif
:

It normally cost me around $150 - $250 for the syrum. The is also IgG syrum that you can buy and give orally as a safety measure, I keep that on hand as well, but keep in mind, there is nothing better than mares colostrum and there is no substitute only supplements and those supplements will NOT give them the needed antibodies. Hope this has been helpful.
default_smile.png

txminipinto: Yes, you can buy the things directly from the company and might I add that it is also CHEAPER to buythe products from them
default_smile.png
Atleast it is with the foal IgG 3 test kit.

I found a cheaper way to somewhat test the colostrum so I don't need the colostrum testers.

One of the posters said that they have their vet order the plasma for them. I would encourage everyone to ask your vets about whether or not they will/are capable of doing these things. I have one person that will supplement with a serum, as long as I bring them up there, 45 minute drive accross state lines, OR, the next option for me that could do both colostrum supplementing or plasma transfusion is 2 HOURS away. Some vets will not order things for you...like plasma....so be sure to ask.
default_yes.gif
:

I have learned that if you are going to go through the trouble of selecting stallions and mares and investing in breeding quality horses that you are going to show and sale you need to be a responsible breeder.
I think this is a pretty unfair "blanket statement" for someone to make! Not everyone has easy access to a vet, or equine facilities for that matter. There are some of us that spend a pretty penny on our horses, and do the best we can for them, and just because we don't or can't do things your way, does not make us irresponsible, and yes, I DO take offense to that!

I happen to live 80 miles from the nearest vet. They have NO large animal facilities...just a tiny little building right up town. They have no ultrasound equipment, no portable xray or anything. They are there basically for small animals and cattle, but will also help whatever else they can, that needs them.

They will not come out for "routine" work at the drop of a hat. They do "scheduled farm calls" only 2 days a week...Tuesdays and Thursdays. The only time other than those days that they will come out, is in an emergency situation.

So maybe for you, it is easy to have them there within 6 or 8 hours after their birth, but it just isn't going to happen here.

[SIZE=14pt]When I talked to the vender, he said that they are tring to push these tests to the average horse breeder. That was their focus on producing them. I know most people CANT get into a vet at a drop of a hat for a "well baby" check. I did do this for 3 of my first foals. Got rather costly,not to mention the vet was very hard to get a hold of. I thought these tests may be something that "Average Joe" can get a hold of to test there own foals, just to be safe. I personaly will be getting the whole blood tests and do my own blood draws at home. [/SIZE]

I also have to comment on your statement Donna.....are you implying that if you cant afford the vet visit then your shouldnt be breeding?? If so I TOO take offense to this too. I believe I get MUCH better care for my horses with out running to the vet for minor things. I think it is up a "responsible" breeder to take as many precautions as possible. Tests IgG levels at home "to me" is just one of them. You dont have to be rollin in the dough to be a "responsible" breeder.

April

It was certainly not my intention to imply anyting of sorts to anyone in paticular , and I am not rolling in the dough. I do not usually post on this site because it IS so easy to get collars ruffled. As I stated in my opening line, this was My opinion and I certainly know how hard it is to get vet care. I am one of the few miniature breeders in Central Va. The vets I use have seen some minis but not like the states that house larger farms. We work together to take the upmost care of my horses. I would think that most people would. I was only implying MONA to people that dont give a rip. I would feel sure, since you have stated that you take very good care of your horses, that would not be you. I do know however, of people that just want a backyard pet, so they seek out that CHEAP mini for their eyes to focus on out of the kitchen window. Then after some time they decide they would like to see a baby out of the back window, so they get something to breed. My goal here was to reach out to those people and remind them of what is involved, not just popping out babies here. I have harldly ever voiced my opinion on LB because of people that only want to start trouble, no matter the post, they seem to seek it out and milk it for all it is worth. I do hope that is not your intention as it was NOT mine to create a STINK, only to raise eyebrows to people who think breeding is just another thing to do on a sunny day..
default_yes.gif
:

I would like to say that I am sorry , I did not mean ANYTHING to sound or come off offensive, and having explained myself, I would think the matter should be settled and there is no need for any other offensive comments..

This site should be used for information and aid in the best interest of all.

[SIZE=14pt]Thank you very much for clearing that up! Yes I know just how easy it is to ruffle!!!
default_smile.png
The only reason I posted this topic is to let everyone know about it that there ARE ways you can do this at home! I myself will be getting the whole blood ones. If it is bad, I will load it up and get it to my work before it is too late. Saw beautiful foals put down because they are just too sick to make. These tests could prevent that![/SIZE]

April

Latest posts

Back