Feeding a expecting mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a different feed plan for expecting mares? and at what point in her pregnancy that you change her diet? Thanks!!!!

I feed them as normal until the last 12 weeks and then I begin to up the protein levels and quantity

I feed pretty much the same throughout, but I'll up the hay a bit more during the last 3 months. After foaling I double the ration balancer and they'll get pretty much free-choice hay, of course.

We watch the mare and feed individually. If she is low on the pecking order we may pull her aside to give extra food along the way, especially in winter.

If she is well fed
default_wink.png
we will leave her in a herd of bred mares for the competition.

Their nutitional needs increase the last three months and jump dramatically after they foal and are nursing. That is when you REALLY have to make sure they are getting enough food.

My first year of breeding I made a horrible mistake. I was feeding Omelene 100 and not nearly enough minerals. My colt that year was born with very lax tendons. After that I learned to go to a better food and be possitive my horses were getting plenty of vitamins and minerals. I have been using Strategy, keeping out salt and trace minieral blocks, free choice minerals, a high quality orchard grass hay, plus also some alfalfa hay thrown in the last trimester and ever since then we've had no more trouble with the lax tendons.

You need to remember that they will require an increased feed allowance right thru the first 3 months after foaling also. It takes a tremendous amount to produce milk and maintain body weight.

Generally my mares are consuming 2-3X their personal before mommyhood rations during lactation. So last trimester it increases, after birthing it will generally need to increase a little more, then stabilize, then gradually decrease.

I break this into 3 feedings, normally, to keep their systems in good balance. Of course, with those who have great pasture, it can be adjusted as needed for their body condition. Most often the pastures are not good enough to cut back much (if an early in yr foal), so just plan on the increased feed until the foal is eating well, etc.

I feed Triple Crown 30% Supplement as a ration balancer, but I do increase the amount starting the last 3 months of gestation until the foal is weaned (unless mare is super easy keeper, then I back down on the amount as needed). I also increase he amounts of soaked shredded beet pulp and grass hay as needed per the mare's condition.

My mares all get Equalizer which is a supplement of all the vitamins needed to help with the foals getting the proper nutrition well growing during the last 3 months.

Than we add frisky foal once they have their foal.

This way the foals, start getting their food with in the first week, they do nibble on mom's food.

And of course always alfalfa hay cubes during the winter months, in the summer still get the hay cubes until they go out to pasture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Moorman's Gro Strong Mineral. Ten years ago we had some neonatal maladjustment foals and I emailed or wrote every vet school around the country. Several of them recommended Gro Stong. We started using it and since then, we have not had a foal with this syndrome.

I found this on another web site: http://www.stallingspainthorses.com/trainer/feeding-to-win.htm

We're really stuck on Moorman's Grow Strong Minerals for our brood mares. We feed it free choice in the pasture in one of those wind-revolving cattle mineral feeders. After eight years of use, we're convinced it has virtually eliminated leg problems in our foals. GROSTRONG Minerals provide key vitamin and minerals as well as electrolites.

The ADM website also has much information on vitamins and minerals. http://www.admani.com/allianceequine/Vitamins%20and%20Minerals.htm

As they stress on there, and I have heard this before, a trace mineral block does not provide enough of the essential vitamins and minerals. There are many other good articles on that site written by vets and other experts in the nutrition field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back