Dog Shock/Electronic Collars

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreAcres

Reaction score
Hey guys--

What are your thoughts on shock/electronic collars for dogs? My 5 month old Rottweiler/Golden Retriever puppy barks constantly when outside alone. She has to sleep outside and is occassionally put out on a 20 foot cable during the day to do her "business". She house, food, and water is out in reach on the cable. Plus some toys. I keep her with me as much as possible, but there are times that she must be left alone. My parents and neighbors are getting fed up with it. If she doesn't stop soon, I might have to find her a new home. I've talked with many people who've used shock collars and have had great success. I bought one yesterday and only put it on when she'll be alone, in a situation when she'll bark. Right now I ONLY zap her when she barks, period. In the future I may use it to help train her a bit better, such as coming when called, "get out of there", etc., but for the most part it's strictly for barking. I have aquired 5 books since I've gotten my puppy, talked/emailed numerous professionals, watched shows about this sorta thing, and talked to friends who've used the collars before. I'm trying my hardest not to set my puppy up to fail and by learning all I can to train her properly. Just thought it'd be nice to know what others think about this and if they've used collars before? Did you have a good outcome, or not?

Thanks, Erin

And what happens when a thief comes and the dog just sits there and watches???

I would not use a shock collar on a puppy, end of story- and I have NO problem with these collars used correctly.

Have you tried the spray collars that are "voice activated"??

After all, if you are actually there, what is the problem with properly training the pup without a shock collar??

'Fizz, if you have any tips or pointers on how to teach a dog (especially and older one) not to bark, me and my parents would LOVE to hear them. We tried a lot of different things with out female crapzu/pom cross and the only thing that worked was the shock collar. We never would have been able to re-home her, so our only option was to put her down, or have her wear the collar when her barking gets bad. (otherwise the animal control officers would be more than happy to "take her off our hands" ie have her put to sleep in the pound when the neighbors started to complain). I can totally sympathize with using the collar. She got shocked a number of times, but now she just doesn't bark and thus the collar doesn't bother her. I HATE to see her wearing it, but would hate even more for her to be taken by animal control because we couldn't stop her barking. :no:

So to reiterate... if you think a dog can be taught not to bark... How? (pretty please!)

BTW... if an intruder came into our home, the HOUSE would bark at him/her. We have a better alarm system than the dogs (who would likely run and hide if an ACTUAL threat came up).

I have used the shock collar on my mastiff because he developed the habit of trying to eat little doggies, he was 18 months and it was a heart wrenching decesion- and the last one after seeking not one but two very qualified trainers where we did try may other things, it was with both trainers and a consultaion with our vet that we used the collar as a tool in his training- but it definately was not the end all be all and we worked and still do work with other aids and cues for him. The other thing that made us hesitate was that that seems to be the last resort- what if something else comes up and we used or very last traing method.

While attending classes they were people there with many different types and ages of dogs some with problems some just learning obedience- any how I saw a few intresting methods for dog barking that were less intense than the shock collar.

I don't have the answer for the dog barking but at 5 months could you consult with a trainer in the area that might be able to give you some other suggestions as your puppy is only 5 months old and still very young and inpressionable and the collars can be intense and traumatic. At 5 months I would still think there are some different methods that could be tried and it always helps with a support of a trainer to bounce what works and what does not- Plus if the collar is the answer a reputable trainer can give you some very important pointers about the use of the collar I know that the trainers in this area have a reasonable consultaion fee.

I know that you are under pressure but don't loose heart- Hope it works out for you two.

Tiffany

I am not anti bark collars and have threatened my kids with them as well
default_wink.png
: however only 5 months is kinda young...........my suggestion would be to crate the dog indoors if possible when it needs to be left alone.......that will make the pup feel more secure.........which in my experience at this age the barking is often out of insecurity and then develops into nusiance barking..............crating has worked well with my barkaholics
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Hello,

I have a problem with our outside dog. He barks constantly either at the kids or even a flea walking down the road. I purchased a shock collar off of ebay for him. It only shocks him when he barks. (Not a remote controled) And it has seven different levels. Goes to a warning shock then stronger. This way he barks to let us know something is out there, but he doesn't bark all the time..You can easily reset it to go back to the low level. Now, when he has it on, he only barks when he needs to, not just because. I really didn't like the idea at first, but we had to, didn't want all neighbors (including landlord) to get upset.. And it does help. Just becareful, they are not to be used on dogs that has seizures... Hope this helps. Pm me if you need the name of the collar..

My point was that this is NOT an anti bark collar- this is a shock collar.

The anti bark collars normally give a warning first and then a mild jolt.

This is a collar being activated by the owner.

If you are actually there to activate the collar you are there to chastise the dog for barking and to train it not to.

I have already pointed out that the spray collar, voice activated, is one option.

Training the dog not to bark is another.

Small dogs do possibly have more tendency to yap than large ones.

Maybe.

I'm not convinced.

I have and do use a shock collar myself, BUT not, NEVER on a five month old puppy.

Sorry but, if you do not have the time to train a puppy maybe re-homing is not such a bad idea after all.
default_smile.png

A shock collar can be a usefull training tool if used properly. The ones I have are owner activated and you can supply a warning beep only and not the shock....this is all I ever needed to use after a couple mild jolts. I do think 5 months is a little young for the shock collar and the spray collar might be effective, they are very inexpensive I think...around $40. Good luck..

Also I wanted to add...the dog will become confused that it only gets corrected for barking sometimes (when you are in the house and have the control). What about when no one is home to correct him/her and she barks...she will not understand only being corrected "sometimes".

Maybe I wasn't clear...the dog does NOT bark when I'm in sight. The problem occurs when she's left alone. Sometimes I put her on her cable, so that she may have outside time, when I'm not able to go out with her, or don't want too. I am putting as much time as possible into training her and she's doing much better aside from the barking. A friend of mine, an adult mind you whose raised a couple dogs this way, uses a shock collar on her 6 month old Dobie. He's been wearing it for a couple months and is a very obedient dog.

I have to ask though, if a bark collar only shocks the dog when it barks and I only shock the dog with a shock collar when it barks, whats the difference? Except the fact that I control the shock, how is one more "cruel" or inapproperate (spelling?)?

To make it clear, because I'm not sure that everyone here understands, I don't sit around with the shock level on high and zap her for every little thing. I strictly use it for barking.

I asked for opinions, so I accept everyones advice and thoughts, but I am using a collar on her (at least for right now). I hope no one hold that against me. I don't take pleasure out of shocking her, believe me, but I need to get her to stop and I've tried everything else thats been suggested too me.

The dog must sleep outside. I live with my parents and thats just the rule. She may come in during the day under supervision, but is outside at night. Thats just the way it is, so I'm trying to make it work.

I understand that she is only 5 months old, but by using a shock collar is not causing harm to her. She recieves a mild jolt to discourage the unwanted behavior, its not like she rises in the air with her air sticking out in all directions like she just stuck a paw into a lightsocket.

Thanks, Erin

PS...did you all know that there are shock collars out there for HORSES? They were invented to stop cribbing and other unwanted behavior. How is that different from this situation?

I have trained dogs on barking colars, when they bark it has different levels. They get shocked when they do the barking.

Dogs are smart, my dog when she barks on and on and on, I say do you want the collar on and she shuts up.

Believe me she can be barking like crazy and when I put it on she stops instantly without getting any shock, and she knows when it is off, I tryed one day to put on a normal collar, she thought it was the barking collar, but didn't take her long to figure that out.

You must watch out that if left on for long periods of time can burn their skin if they do not stop the barking, some dogs will not stop even with the shock. Should not be put on unless supervised. It is a training device not something to be worn all the time.

I have trained with pennies in a empty pop can, if you are around, when they bark shake the can it makes the noise to get their attention and say their name (Penny) No barking, do not change the words and must be consistent and use their name. This does work but takes a lot of patients.

Forgot to add, praise them when they do not bark or when they stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have said to go with an anti-bark collar; for one thing, that way the puppy gets the same reminder all the time, not just when you are at home. If you (or no one) is home, where is the puppy, inside or outside? If outside, what is to tell her no barking allowed then? Also an anti-bark collar works instantly, the same every time. With you controlling the collar, do you carry the controller with you constantly? Or do you have to put it down & then go & hunt it up when she starts to bark?

I have a neighbor who, when she had a dog, believed that her dog never barked. Sure it didn't, while she was at home. If she was away, it barked non-stop.

There is almost always someone home here, so we've never had to resort to any sort to training collar to teach the dog(s) that barking for no reason is not the thing to do. It's quite possible to teach a dog not to bark without a shock collar. Ours are expected to bark if there's a reason to--foxes, coyotes or stray dog in the yard, something going on with the ponies, someone driving/walking into the yard--otherwise they are expected to be quiet, and they are.

I have nothing against shock collars for training, as long as they are properly used; I'd use one myself at times if I had one, but since I have a whole list of things I want/need to buy, a shock collar hasn't made it to the top of the list yet. :lol: If I did have one, though, I wouldn't use it for training a dog to not bark.

Gotchya Fizz, Ours is a BARK collar. It gives audible warnings, then a mild shock, then a somewhat more intense shock. Diva was over 2 years before we used it. And trust me, we TRIED reprimanding her for barking, keeping her on a leash outside with us, time outs, a spray bottle, etc. She ignored everything but the shocks. Now she wears her collar and everyone is happy, including HER because she can go outside and play and not be "led to temptation" and spoil her fun with time outs. In fact, now she often goes for weeks without the collar before needing to wear it for an afternoon as a "refresher". And she NEVER wears it in her kennel or when nobody is home. Reble, we do the same thing... ask her "want your collar?" or hold it up for her and she gets the point. And yes, I've had the shock myself... unpleasent in the way sticking your tounge to a 9 volt battery is unpleasent.
default_yes.gif
: Not painful.

Sorry, Erin, but I don't really understand why you want to know what people think of shock collars. Clearly, you are using one and intend to keep using it irregardless of what other's opinions or advice may be, so why even ask?

Having spent 30 years "in dogs", I believe shock collars have their use and place, but shocking a 5 month old puppy in my eyes is unacceptable. The puppy is lonely out there, and most likely very bored. Of course he is going be excited over and bark at any activity.

If the dog must spend hours alone outside and unattended, perhaps a dog does not suit your lifestyle at this time and rehoming him to a place where he will receive more attention would be in his and your best interest.

I don't mean this to sound harsh or mean, but I feel really badly for this poor puppy.

Shelley

No one at all was saying you were cruel, in fact, most who responded said they too have used the collars. My only concern is the dog might be a little young for one, but none the less, I still think you should try the spray colar or the "bark shock collar"....when no one is home at your house and you have her outside, how do you know if she is barking or not????? Your neighbor? What if your closest neighbor isn't home either? She probably is barking and not getting corrected for it, so that's why I say she may get confused on why she is only being corrected sometimes. With the spray or bark collar she will get corrected every time and not be confused. Just like horses, consistency is the key.

Also being "in dogs," I have to say I agree with Shelley. This puppy doesn't need an anti-bark collar, it needs attention and TRAINING or a new home. A special collar is only a band-aid in this situation. Take it off or not be there to ZAP it, and what will the pup do? BARK... BARK... BARK... The puppy is lonely, bored, and/or wanting to play and be loved. You're going to have to spend some quality time obedience training this pup as well as wearing it out with play every day and the barking will stop. Would you ever think to leave a young child alone with toys and expect it to keep itself entertained for very long? Of course not... and you most certainly wouldn't fit a child with a collar to zap'm if he wouldn't shut up!
default_wink.png
: I know dogs are dogs, but we do expect an awful lot from them from a very young age. Take a minute to try and look at things on the other end of the leash... your heart will know where to go from there.
default_wub.png
:

Just reading back through some replies... oops... and pressed enter a bit too soon.
default_smile.png

About the shaker can suggestion mentioned on the first page of this discussion, that's great, but please avoid using your dog's name when giving a correction as negative association tends to make teaching commands much harder (eg. "come when called"). You must also remember to praise (and mean it!) after a correction as well as redirect the dog once it stops doing the undersirable behavior or it may never know what it was doing wrong and what it can do that's right.

Also, billie, did you ever try rewarding your yapper for being quiet? You mentioned constant reprimands for barking such as time-outs, spray bottles and finally a shock collar, but do you honestly feel you spent enough time obedience training (with positive reinforcement) and playing?

I'll admit the couple times I've read in this thread how dogs will be quiet when "asked" if they want to wear their shock collar makes me cringe...

Sorry, Erin, but I don't really understand why you want to know what people think of shock collars. Clearly, you are using one and intend to keep using it irregardless of what other's opinions or advice may be, so why even ask?
I guess in my head I wasn't asking whether or not I should use one, I WAS asking what other peoples experiences were with them. Did you have success or not, basically?

I know many don't agree with me using a shock collar, but I have tried everything else I know of. I am willing to try other things that might work, I'm just tired of being shunned for trying this method.

The puppy is NOT left outside for hours on end alone. She spends most of the day with me. At night is the longest time she's left alone, but she sleeps through most of it. I do know that she doesn't bark when no one is home, because I can go to the neighbors and don't hear her...and believe me it echos. Her issue is just wanting attention, which she gets plenty of. But sometimes thats just not possible, if I have other things going on in the house. My parents don't want her in the house all the time during the day and I'm sorry but I'm not going to sit outside all day with the dog. It doesn't hurt her to be alone for an hour and then to come back in.

I guess I shouldn't have started this topic. I came here looking for advice/experience stories, but instead am getting blamed that I'm not giving my dog enough attention, or not training her properly, and that I should just find her another home. Thanks to the ones who are truely trying to help me. I appreciate it.

If one of the moniters would delete this post all together, that would be appreciated.

Thanks, Erin

Erin,

Just alot of opinions, don't take it personal. It is still a learning experience to all to see both sides.

This happens sometimes, not meaning too hurt anyone.

We all learn by experiences.

YES we rewarded her for being quiet! AND ABSOLUTELY we ALL spent a LOT of time with her, playing with her and praising her for being a good dog, playing fetch, doing obedience, running in the yard. Please, do not accuse me of not spending time with her, we were inseperable from the time she came into my home until the time I went away to college. When I was in school during the day for high school, she was with my mom or my step dad. That dog was with me if I was in the bar, reading in my room, and of course I also spent hours with her playing on her own terms, not just letting her follow me through my day.

Forgot to add, that even when we were busy or away from home, she had other dogs to play with, so she was never lonely.

are you sure the dog dont have seperation anxiety? I swear Mitzy does. She dont bark often, normally only if somebody is out side the door doing something or when somebody just arrives. I tell her "enough" and she stops. I do let her bark some but not much. I do want her to warn me when somebody is here but be controled as well.

However if I leave her somewhere or go outside with out her she whines like crazy until I come back. IF she is in her kennel she is fine, but if left out she isnt so good.

Latest posts

Back