Does anyone know what a bit and rig is and where i could find one

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summer storm101

Reaction score
hi i have a mature 2 year old mini gelding and i went to a show where the judge liked him a lot. the judge was a proffessional and said that if i was going to drive him in the future and i said yes he said for some part of the training i should use a bit and rig he expalind it but i still dont understand wwhat it does and where to get it????

Bitting Rig

I believe several of the vendors of mini harness have them. It's basically a headstall and saddle with multiple rings for checks and such. This is used for ground driving.

default_smile.png

It is used in place of a full harness when ground driving. It has various loops and straps which can be used knowledgably to help with headset and collection. When used properly it can be beneficial but its not a magic device that suddenly makes your horse a champion driver.

if used properly they really do help to teach a horse to flex at the poll and use their neck to drive.

The key words here are .... "if used properly". If you do not know what a bitting rig is or how to use it, you could do some damage. I HIGHLY recommend attending some seminars - a lot of the local clubs put them on. If at all possible attend one that is put on by one of the well-known driving trainers. A bitting rig is not something for the novice. You need to know how to use the surgical tubing, how to use the long lines, to know what is a proper head set. You need to know what it means when a horse is "on the bit" or "running out of the bit", etc etc etc. Words on paper (or a computer screen) are not going to teach you how to use it. You need to see it demonstrated and have someone working with you until you get the hang of it.

Watch the Forum and the club newsletters for announcements of seminars. They are WELL worth the time, trouble, and money if you want a well trained (and safe to drive) horse.

The key words here are .... "if used properly". If you do not know what a bitting rig is or how to use it, you could do some damage. I HIGHLY recommend attending some seminars - a lot of the local clubs put them on. If at all possible attend one that is put on by one of the well-known driving trainers. A bitting rig is not something for the novice. You need to know how to use the surgical tubing, how to use the long lines, to know what is a proper head set. You need to know what it means when a horse is "on the bit" or "running out of the bit", etc etc etc. Words on paper (or a computer screen) are not going to teach you how to use it. You need to see it demonstrated and have someone working with you until you get the hang of it.

Watch the Forum and the club newsletters for announcements of seminars. They are WELL worth the time, trouble, and money if you want a well trained (and safe to drive) horse.
Also, there is a certain "feel" when the horse is working on the bit or if he is "strung out" - the seminar would be a great place to start... a plus if you can bring your horse to work under the tutelage of a good trainer....

Denise

Silversong Farm

Latest posts

Back