Dangerous Dog Toy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlawridge

Reaction score
Received this in an email today and wanted to post it here for all to see. Perhaps this was posted before, if so, I apologize for the duplication. If not, it is important to share.

Dangerous Dog Toy!!!

This is true; http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/pimpleball.asp

On June 22, 2008, my 10-year old lab mix, Chai, sustained a severe injury from a product that the company Four Paws, Inc., produces. The toy I'm referencing is the pimple ball with bell (Item #20227-001, UPC Code #0 4566320227 9).

dangerousdogtoy-ball.jpg

While chewing on the toy, a vacuum was created and it effectively sucked his tongue into the hole in the ball. From speaking with my vet, this likely occurred because there is not a second hole in the ball preventing the vacuum effect from happening.

I became aware of this when Chai approached a friend at my home whimpering with the ball in his mouth. She tried unsuccessfully to remove the ball but the tongue had swollen and could not be released.

Chai was taken to the Animal Medical Center (an emergency care facility in New York City ) and was treated by Dr. Nicole Spurlock to have the ball removed. Because the size of the opening on t he ball was so small, all circulation to his tongue was cut off.

dangerousdogtoy-removal.jpg

The doctors had to sedate him in order to remove it. Once the ball was removed, his tongue swelled to the point that he could no longer put it in his mouth. Chai was sent home with care instructions, and to be observed overnight for any changes. By the following morning, Chai's tongue had swollen even more.

dangerousdogtoy-swollen.jpg

He was taken to his regular vet, Dr. Timnah Lee, for treatment. He was admitted and kept sedated for a period of three days during which time they were treating his wounds and waiting to determine how much of his tongue could be saved.

On June 26, 2008, Chai had his tongue amputated. He was kept in after-care for an additional three days.

On Sunday, June 29th, I brought Chai home from the vet with a barrage of home care instructions, to last for an additional 7 days. His next visit was to have his mouth re-examined and have the feeding tube in his neck removed.

On the way home from the vet we stopped at Petland Discount where I purchased their product to speak to the manager on duty. Upon meeting Chai and seeing his condition, he removed all of the balls in question from the shelves. He also gave me the customer service number to their corporate headquarters to request that they refuse to continue purchasing all Four Paws products, but I have not called them as of yet.

Additionally, I shared my story with friends who have a French Bulldog named Petunia. Upon hearing my story, their eyes widened. They explained that the same thing happened twice in one night with a smaller version of the same ball to their dog. Fortunately, they were able to pull it off before the tongue swelled, but not without tremendous effort and pain to the dog. They recalled how horrific it was to hear their dog screaming while they had to pry the ball from her tongue.

To date, my veterinary bills total over $5,000 and I will have regular follow up appointments for some time. Additionally, Chai now requires a much more expensive form of food because of this injury, averaging approximately $200 per month.

Additionally, I now have to re-teach my dog to eat, drink, and adjust to life without his tongue.

Feeding him takes me about 90 minutes twice a day and for at least this first week, he is not to be unattended for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Oh my, that poor dog. What is the purpose of the hole anyhow?...is it suppose to be a hole to put treats in? Poor thing.

I saw this, and what an eye opener. I now make sure not to buy any toy with only one hole.

What breaks my heart for this poor dog is the owner didn't put it down and it now requires a huge amount of care to keep it going. What quality of life this dog now has is questionable. I think I would love my dog enough to let it go and not suffer like that. JMHO

I'm sooo sorry he had to go through such trauma. Thanks for giving all of us dog lovers a heads-up about this possibility.

Thank you for posting this, a good warning. Do you want to know another dangerous to small dog thing is, that I think is quite common. It's those greenies, the small bones dogs absolutely love. I read some place that they can easily get stuck in a small dogs throat and have asked two dog vets and both agreed that they are dangerous. I used to buy them for my Chihuahua's but no longer give them any. I give no treats from foreign countries, they put small quanities of arsenic in their rawhide chews too.

OOOhhhhh that poor baby!!!! I just want to take him and hug him to no end!!! Thank you for posting this warning. Such a sad thing to happen.
default_sad.png

Oh my goodness.....
default_new_shocked.gif

That poor dog....

I have learned to be very careful when buying toys for the 'kids' because miss Moxie is a major power chewer. Any toys that are recommended for power chewers haven't stood up (she goes through most in about 30 secs once she gets started). So I tend to avoid toys like that (the only thing she hasn't completely destroyed so far are kongs...but she doesn't seem to like them that much even with them 'stuffed'). I cannot give her rawhide because she devours it in no time (same with one of her pups), so I am very cautious when buying things for them.

~kathryn

Yes I got this email too however with no pictures. So I sent it to some friends that I knew that have dogs. It's defiantly very sad, dog owners need to be very careful when they buy toys, don't just buy them because they're cute.

We learned this the hard way when our Australian Cattle dog got sick when she was a year old and had to have surgery, when piece of one of those rope toys got stuck in her intestine.
default_new_shocked.gif
Luckily after a few days at the vets and a $1000 later Trixie is just fine. But a hard lesson learned

ETA: The best toys I've found for major chewer are those Kong toys, I've never had problems with them and they are made to last

~Jessica

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one who thinks they should have simply poked a hole in the other end of the toy to release the vacuum??
default_wacko.png
Good lord, that poor dog! Time was obviously of the essence and waiting until he got to the vet cost him his tongue.
default_no.gif
Poor puppy.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a pet supply store in town where a friend works. Her dog has had to have surgery twice to remove "foreign objects." The latest being the tip of his Kong
default_new_shocked.gif
! I now only buy the "Mack tested" toys for my corgis. Henry destroys even the indestructible toys. So far so good with the "i-Squeak" toys and another brand I will have to check on. It is a big hard plastic ball shell, with a smaller ball inside. He loves that and carries it around. A few teeth marks, but still intact since Christmas. All other toys have been thrown away. The knotted ropes were a disaster in the making. He shreds those and I knew I was close to impaction surgery if I didn't immediately burn them all
default_nono.gif

(And yes, Leia, I was wondering the same thing...drill a vent hole!!
default_unsure.png
)

Am I the only one who thinks they should have simply poked a hole in the other end of the toy to release the vacuum??
default_wacko.png
Good lord, that poor dog! Time was obviously of the essence and waiting until he got to the vet cost him his tongue.
default_no.gif
Poor puppy.
Leia
I think thats what they did but his tounge was so swollen it could not fit back out the hole..or at least thats the impression i got from reading it. But i do agree if this was acted on faster it would have saved the dogs tounge.

I feel so bad for that poor dog too.

I have to be really carefull with buying toys for my dog because he is a power chewer. the only toy we found so far that he can't chew through is a kong (large red or black) and a ball by Kong it has no holes and it's bouncy he loves it!

as far as other toys we save them for our outings to the park or to play with in my parents back yard when we visit (they also have a surplus of dog toys for him to choose from
default_rolleyes.gif
) and we never let him chew on theses toys they are just for playing "fetch" or "tuggy" or "find it".

Latest posts

Back