Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
I saw the thread about people's winter comfort food. One of my faves is soup. One of my very fave soups is Butternut Squash. I just made this last night. It's a new recipe for me and it is absolutely amazing. Try it out, those that like squash and tell me what you think!

Here it is:

2 large butternut squash - halved lengthwise, peeled and seeded

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 leek, white and tender green part only, thinly sliced

1 shallot, finely chopped

2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger

1 teaspoon curry powder

1/2 cup dry white wine

6 cups water

1 cup unsweetened coconut milk

1 sprig thyme

Coconut shavings, for garnish (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set the squash, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Fill each cavity with 1/2 tablespoon of the butter; seaason with salt and pepper. Roast the squash for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, until tender; cut into large pieces.

2. Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the olive oil. Add the onion, leek, shallot, ginger, and curry powder and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned. Add the wine and cook until evaporated.

3. Add the cooked squash, water, coconut milk and thyme sprig. Simmer over moderately low heat for 15 minutes.

4. Discard the thyme sprig. Working in batches, puree the soup in blender until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with coconut shavings and serve.

Yield: 6 servings

Enjoy! You will love it.

I LOVE Butternut Squash. This soup sounds yummy and I will definitely try it out. Thanks for passing it along!

Back