bucking

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockysticksfeatherfarm

Reaction score
Today we tried to take Stoney for a walk as we try to do at least every other day. We go down our road and back which adds up to almost two miles. Our main goal is just de-sensitizing him and keeping good manners on lead. For some reason he seemed kind if spooky. As we headed out the driveway my daughter had him as always and my idiot neighbor drove by and peeled out and spun rocks (we live Ina caleche road) and startled us and the horse. My daughter hung on to the lead but he bucked around got her in the chest. She is ok and didn't get hurt. We went ahead and walked but my husband took the lead just in case once he was calmed down we continued. He did ok most of the way, cars pass all the time and he doesn't flinch we just move to the side. But for no apparent reason he went bronco again and got my hubby on the knee. He has never bucked around like this accept not to long ago in his pen playing but While I was in the pen. I tried to calm him to let him know its not ok to do around humans before I left the pen. I am going to get a chain for the lead so we can keep better control. Any suggestions on what to do when this happens so my daughter can stay safe but not let him get away with it? Thanks

Be sure he is well exercised and let off his steam before going out on your walks. Cold weather, a windy day etc. will add to his being frisky. He had a normal reaction to your stupid neighbor's antics but in the future, I would not let a child be leading him along side the road anyhow. A chain could be helpful if applied and used correctly but don't let it give you a false sense of security either, or put it in the hands of a child. And remember never to tie a horse up with a chain. So sorry this happened and glad no one got seriously hurt. BAA to your neighbor.

Here are some links for you:

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a chain over his nose and use it if you need to! Backing a horse up at a trotting pace, "growling' a knock it off, and not being polite about asking him to back works for any "respect me" situation. May seem harsh, but if he did that to a dominant horse in the field, do you think she's going to take it ? Nope. There would probably be some kicking and quite a bit of biting, or as "my" boss made does, an epic body tackle thing.

There are a lot of questions I have about this situation... How can a bucking horse get you in the chest? This seems like an impossibility to me unless the handler gives way way too much lead rope?

How old is your daughter? How old is the horse? Does the horse normally have impeccable manners and stay respectfully out of your space? Does the horse get regular exercise at the trot and canter for extended periods of time?

I hate to recommend a chain if the handlers are inexperienced or if the daughter is a youth, particularly an inexperienced youth.

He really needs turnout in a big area, or good sound exercise in a big round pen- but nothing, IMO, beats being free. My colts go out in small paddocks, about half an acre, every day, on their own but next door to each other. At least once a week I turn them out in a three acre field and they go BERSERK- they act as if they have not been out of their stalls for a month.

I agree that that is NOT "bucking" that is KICKING and kicking with a target in mind too, and it needs to be corrected, whatever the cause.

How old is he? Is he kept with other horses and does not like to be taken out by himself?

This exact thing has happened to me twice. I feel sure both times were pure brattiness. Both horses had pasture 24/7, walks and excercised regularly, and regular handling. Their teeth were done, they had had chiropractic checkups. As far as I know there was no physical reason. Both times it happened because I was asking them to do something they didn't want to do.

I do not know of a good fix for this where you can feel safe. Perhaps a chain, but I think when the hrose goes into the bucking frenzy he loses his mind and a chain might not help.

The most recent time this happened to me I got the horse calmed after she did the broncho act, then she looked at me and deliberatly went off into the bucking frenzy again. She was respectful enough not to run over me, though I could tell by her face that she considered it.

I do not have either of these horses any more. You have to decide what you want. You can give him another chance to behave himself, but if he does it again he is obviously not safe for your child.

This little squirt has learned he can get away with it. Like the others said - YOU need to be the boss of the herd, and like any herd boss, there are some sharp reprimands given for bad behavior.

First of all, you need to keep a short lead....your hand within a few inches of the halter. I don't like using a chain over the nose because if you don't know what you are doing you could damage the nasal bones. I use a rope over the nose on a young horse. Attach the snap to the ring near the right ear, run down right side of face, thru the right ring, over the nose, and then thru the left ring. And if this brat decides to show those feet or try to show them a VERY LOUD, Low and deep QUIT and jerk that little brat's head HARD toward you so that there is no way those back feet can land on you. He will pitch a fit because he is used to getting his way, but you need to be consistent and NEVER allow him to show you his heels.

And like the others have said...walking along the roadway is NOT sufficient for a youngster to burn off that energy. He needs to be turned out in a big enough area to really burn it off. But trying to be nice and calming toward him when he is having a juvenile 'fit' is not doing him any favors. It only rewards him for poor behavior and it will only get worse.

I agree that this sounds like a "combo" problem--the combination of having too much fizz and too little respect. As much turnout time as possible to let him burn some energy off is a good first step. It might be difficult for a less-experienced handler to tell between fear and fizz, but in both cases, priority #1 is to ensure your safety and priority #2 is to get his respect. He does not need to be calmed when he has a tantrum, but reprimanded! If you position yourself correctly between his throatlatch and shoulder while leading and grip the rope a short length from the halter, he will not be able to give you the heels. When they have tantrums they can be very quick, but if you maintain your position relative to them, they cannot do you much harm. If he tries to invade your space, bring your hand up beside his eye to push his front end away from you. When he has a tantrum, I would recommend a good strong tug on the lead rope as a "wake up call" that that's not OK and get him to face you, then back him up--quickly! Make him work when he acts out. Then give him a few seconds to relax and soak up the lesson before continuing with whatever you were doing before the incident. Pretty soon hopefully he will figure out that his life is easier when he is a good boy, and that being bad takes much more energy/work than being good. Not sure how old/big your daughter is, but correcting this issue is probably a job better suited for an adult unless she is sufficiently experienced and physically strong enough to stay safe while handling him. Just my two cents
default_yes.gif
default_whistling.gif

Exactly SuggaryCharm! He needs to be discipline d even if he is fresh. You don't think its OK for your daughter to punch you because she didn't have recess today right? Not much different with a horse. My three rules are you don't pull, stay out of my space until invited in, and don't hurt me intentionally. Those need to happen all the time. Break one, you think the world is ending. Haven't had to enforce any in about 9 mos with my guy. One harsh reprimand replaces a million small ones.

Yes a horse should have manners even when feeling fresh, but I figure why fight with them needlessly? Discipline is so much easier if the horse has had sufficient exercise. I say it is not even fair to the horse to expect him to walk sedately down the road if he hasn't been out in two days and what he is wanting to do is run and buck. Yes, an experienced handler can cope. But, for a child or an inexperienced adult, it is just so much easier and safer if the horse isn't taken out for a walk when he is feeling very, very fresh.

To answer some questions.. The gelding is two years old and my daughter is 10 and pretty small. It's her horse and so far we have never had an issue like this (since January). He has never lended that he would kick and has never tried to. He has been a pain about going out sometimes and does some head tossing, planting his feet etc. but she has never lost control. There was a big weather change that included a lot of wind so I think for sure he was feeling frisky or fresh. We do walk him at a trot for a good bit of the walk
default_smile.png
We don't really have a space set up to turn him out right now... Though I think I might ask about the pasture next door but I have to check the fence... Fencing is the issue. My next project is a round pen then hopefully getting him exercised wont be an issue. I am certain the first time was because he was scared and tried to get away and since we all got startled he figured it was something for sure to be scared of. My daughter is gaining experience but she is still learning, luckily we have been going to Little America each to learn. She has been handling some very stubborn yearlings
default_smile.png
I am getting mixed advice she needs to be his handler or that an adult should handle him... I always take over if I think he is just being to moody to avoid incident.. Is this bad? I don't want her to get hurt but I want him to learn she is boss too.

I think a lot of his trouble stems from lack of exercise space. I know you are doing your best with his walks and including some good trotting time, but a 2 year old needs to have the freedom to run and chase, preferably with a companion, to let off his excess energy. I think that what you are experiencing at the moment is a build up of that excess energy which is making him react so dramatically to 'exciting/worrying' circumstances.

Having a round pen might help, but only to give him a bit more exercise - you can only do so much circle work with a 2 year old, IMO, and you would have to build up slowly to prevent damage to his joints etc. If you could get the use of the next door pasture -even for 3 or 4 days a week - I think you would find that he will start to settle down again. A more mature horse may well manage on several long walks each day, but it is not the best thing for a youngster. I would not recommend using a chain on him either, especially if your daughter is leading him, introducing a horse to a chain needs to be done carefully and is not the best thing if he suddenly has a 'mad moment'. When introducing our youngsters to a chain for showing purposes, we also have a normal headcollar and lead in place so we can rely on that if there is a 'problem' moment and not get left with a sudden jerk on the chain.

He's a lucky fella to have such a caring family looking after him. Good luck to you all.
default_yes.gif

Agreed. Any horse needs more space than a stall.

You say you work with a miniature farm that is close by. Maybe you could board him there until you have a good facility?

I board my guy out and wouldn't have it any other way. This way, he has companions, ( I just can't afford two at this moment! Maybe in the near future, im waitng for a half sibling of his to come up for sale) which fufills his emotional need to have a herd. They have a big field and a run in shed (with awesome fencing) PLUS he as a stall, specifically built for a horse his size. He loves being able to see out. He lost 50 lbs after moving htere (which was a very good thing!) as he had friends to run with, instead of just him in a round pen. I board him at a private residence, owned by a former vet tech/engineer who's sister is a vet. I have not a worry in the world about my little man, even in bad weather, etc. I know my board owner will do the right thing. I pay $200 a month, including driving training, salt licks, grain, hay, sawdust, etc. I get 2 mos a year that i don't pay any board, in exchange for stallion service.

Thanks for all your help and advice! Btw he is in a dry lot not a stall but its not big. It is big enough for him to romp around.
default_smile.png

If a horse does not have turnout you are not going to get sense out of it, simple as that. Sorry to come over so harsh but I think you were silly to have got the horse if you did not have the facilities for it.

I don't have a large turn out either but I take my girl out most days.

And we lunge on a line, go for long walks, hook to the cart and trot.

Just because some of us don't have large fields for our little ones

Doesn't mean we should never of got them

We just have to be creative.

The horses in the stables have less room than my girl does .

And are taken out less as well in some cases

Yes your boy probably needs more exercise

If you can use a round pen great, either way get the energy out

Before you daughter has him. Some days we have to

Work up to a canter on the lunge before my mare settles for the day

What he needs in my honest opinion is some lessons on..."this is my space" "that is your space.

Tired, silly, not enough exercise she told me are excuses, but not a replacement for manners training for "space".
I agree that a short-term lack of exercise (a matter of days) is often used as an excuse for bad manners; however, a long-term housing arrangement that does not allow a horse (especially a young horse) sufficient room to exercise freely does a huge disservice to the horse--both physically and mentally--and is a real problem, not an excuse. Long walks and other forced exercise are helpful and can be good bonding activities, but IMO are not a substitute for turnout time. I remember reading a "rule of thumb" somewhere a short while ago about grazing 3 minis or 1 big horse per acre, max. 1/3 of an acre per mini seems a reasonable guideline to me--enough room to run and play but not "overkill," though I'm sure they appreciate extra space if it's available.

But yes, manners are essential and it sounds like the work you did with your guy paid off--glad to hear you got him sorted out.
default_yes.gif

Tantamount to walking a puppy on lead, and NEVER letting it off, basically.

The good news is that you are providing lessons for your daughter which is a huge step in the right direction. Bravo! And to answer your question, no I would certainly not be allowing your child to be leading the horse outside of a fenced in area.

As the others have said, you do need to provide proper and very safe turn out for your horse now so he can run and buck till his heart's content and be allowed to be a horse. (No barbed wire) This is something that should not be on the back burner; its a priority and an essential part of horse ownership as well as providing a good well ventilated stable for shelter. You can divide one acre in half and give yourselves the option of rotating them. You can get 330' of field fencing at Lowes for about $135.00 or so which goes a long way. Please don't walk the horse along any road or outside of a fenced in area for safety sake. Good luck and best wishes and again bravo on the lessons.

Latest posts

Back