Jeffrey’s update.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a dressage whip is a good size.
Sometimes I've left my whip at home and pulled up a stiff weed by the roadside to use. I use the verbal cue "trot trot". The sharp "t" sound gets attention. A little treat if he trots a few steps would be a nice reward!
Love reading about your progress! I wish I could have a donkey. (Too much grass and mesquite beans)

I think a dressage whip is a good size.
Sometimes I've left my whip at home and pulled up a stiff weed by the roadside to use. I use the verbal cue "trot trot". The sharp "t" sound gets attention. A little treat if he trots a few steps would be a nice reward!
Love reading about your progress! I wish I could have a donkey. (Too much grass and mesquite beans)
Thank you @Marsha Cassada and @Standards Equine, I'll let you know how it goes :) 🤞

Congrats on all your progress! 💕💕 Such wonderful news! 🥳 I too love my dressage whip, it seems to be the perfect length for handling/working with ponies on the ground, the driving whip is a little too long for me.

I'm so happy to tell you the progress I've made with Jeffrey. :)
I'm able to pick up his front feet and clean them and he stands well for that. Today was the first I've tried his back feet and I was able to pick them up about 6 inches and hold for just a few seconds. I wanted it to be my idea to lower, not his. He did not pull away.👏 I praised him so much.

I also was able to get him to jog with me for a short lenght. I praised him so much again. @Marsha Cassada and @Standards Equine I bought a telescoping short training whip and used as you suggested @Standards Equine, from behind. The second time I tried it, he moved away from my side while doing a sideways walk, jog stride. I will continue short sessions. I think he will get it.
I couldn't wait to tell you. Thank you:)

☺️ So happy to read your progress and the joy you are finding in it! You‘re doing a wonderful job with Jeffrey, who by the way, is super cute! 😍 He is so fortunate you two connected! Donkeys are different than horses, and I think that discourages many people.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful update! 🎉🥳

Hooray @HersheyMint !!! Congratulations on your success. Maybe trying to get the trot aid beside a fence will help him stay straighter. And yes, in finding the balance of trotting beside you, there will be lots of offers with different answers. With practice and praise, you and he will find the right one. I don't ever discipline a forward answer to a forward cue, even if it looks not ideal. Even if they shoot forward past me, then I'll just change to jogging a circle to keep them close to ideal beside me while not discouraging the forward. I know you'll get there!!

New year walk. I braved taking Jeffrey out for a walk away from our property. My sister was here and took Mint and I had Jeffrey. He was so alert. Ears up. I think he enjoyed the walk. We stopped and met new neighbors and he stood still all the while. :)

I'm able to clean his front hooves but his backs we had a set back after the farrier came. I'm slowing gaining his confidence. Sometimes and extra person would be great help. Slow and steady I go.

He has picked up on jogging nicley when I ask him to jog leading him.

We have made great progress from the scared boy of 8 months ago to now. I need to remember that cuz it seems he has been with me all along.

Hooray congratulations!!! Setbacks are all part of the journey. The farrier is still Phillippe's least favorite person but still, he tolerates him well. No pulling or kicking, just would really much prefer to not be around him at all. And he's never had a bad experience. Just an aversion... They are who they are. I'm thrilled that your tour around your property went well! His world just got bigger!

Back