Body clipping in Winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossbuck Farms

Reaction score
In November I body clipped my ultimate show gelding for a big christmas photo shoot. I ordered him a custom blanket for winter with a hoodie. He is fine and not freezing. I guess you can manage a mini in winter with a clipped coat.

URGH! Now you know, we're all wondering where are the pictures
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I also have the ultimate A division show gelding (Tibb's Sundowner), and the ultimate B division show gelding to be (Little Kings BT Bacardi Gold), but they're not currently clipped. BUT, I do plan to clip them, probably around February, so I can work them without them getting so soaking wet in sweat. I'll of course be blanketting them. Planning to just clip their bodies and leave their legs and necks natural at first.

So, do we get to see your show boy?

As soon as I get the Christmas photos. He was a professional model for a lady from CA. It was really cool. THey even paid us.

That does sound pretty cool!!! I look forward to seeing his Christmas pictures!!!
thumbs-up2.gif

When i was in Ca i bodyclipped 3 horses they went on a photo shoot for some designer dresses and they had a choice between the 3 horses to see who would look better with what they wanted. IN fact when i was in SO cal i body clipped all my horses in the winter no problem.

Also always body clipped my riding horses so that they could be ridden safely daily in the winter without getting all hot and sweaty and taking forever to cool out

Couldnt do it here in ID but.. I do start clipping them in the spring and blanket till it gets warmer out consistently

Heck I just wish it was that easy for me to body clip. It's a big deal around here, as we have only done it a couple times and never did legs.

Thanks goodness Carl is so patient and likewise the horses:)

Has anyone with non show minis let them shed out and how long did it take? Last year we gave up and had to body clip Shortcake end of June ! She was hot!

we rarely have to clip non show horses. Pinto's seem to shed quicker then solid horses but most will shed out pretty well with some help from brushing. One thing though if you have a horse that hardly sheds at all it can signal a nutrition problem. Horses that are protein deprived seem to have very shaggy dry coats that dont shed well.

Latest posts

Back