Clipping for summer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trails4jd

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
My first wee one is black. I do not show Eddy. I wondered if I would be doing him a favor by giving him something like a hunter clip? Would his coat grow back in time for winter? Our summers have typically been in the 80s and often in the 90s with a few days at or just above a 100. However,. the last couple of summers we've reach about 115. This would be purely for his comfort. If I do this, would his coat grow back sufficiently for winter which can on occasion get into the teens. Thank you!

Horses grow and shed their coats twice a year. Shedding winter coat in the spring while growing in their summer coat; and shedding their summer coat in the fall, while growing in their winter coat. There should be no problem with clipping, and still having a good coat for next winter.

Yes, they get a new coat twice a year. If you clip him, sometime in fall it will all shed out and he will still get his winter coat. Most of mine get a trace clip this time of year to make them more comfortable. But you may want to see how he sheds out before you go to the trouble. If he sheds out pretty short I think he will be more comfortable without being clipped. The slightly longer hair protects them from the sun and bugs better than a clip,

D2EFC718-A769-4420-AC8D-3B2BE2B39BF9.jpegI did just clip Jasmine the super pony for the purpose of having her more comfortable for getting going with conditioning drives. It also helps when we do care-home visits during the spring. I’ve clipped Falcor a high trace type pattern. Phillippé will get clipped in A couple of weeks. Donkeys are different with their coats and shedding patterns. He’s not shedding at all yet.

View attachment 51466I did just clip Jasmine the super pony for the purpose of having her more comfortable for getting going with conditioning drives. It also helps when we do care-home visits during the spring. I’ve clipped Falcor a high trace type pattern. Phillippé will get clipped in A couple of weeks. Donkeys are different with their coats and shedding patterns. He’s not shedding at all yet.
Can you do that in canada? I thought nights needed to be in the 50's to clip safely. Billy is miserable but I'm reluctant to clip yet. Clipping the belly is okay?

I do trace or modified trace clips all the time, as soon as the days get into the 50's. If our nights are in the 50's, our days are in the 80's and they are just too uncomfortable. Right now our nights are getting into high 20's and mine are already done. Lots of horses in work are clipped all winter. If you take off too much you need to blanket.

I guess I should add that my horses come in at night...I don't know if I would still clip if they lived outside.

Could I ask, do you all notice your little ones shed at different times or differently than big horses? Our big ones are already well underway with shedding but little Marty hasn’t started at all. He otherwise seems well but I’m not sure if this is a sign his Pergolide needs to be adjusted.

I'd agree with that, the horses seemed, for the most part, to start shedding earlier than my littles, but they are certainly catching up now. Except Phillippe... cause donkey. He has his own agenda.

Could I ask, do you all notice your little ones shed at different times or differently than big horses? Our big ones are already well underway with shedding but little Marty hasn’t started at all. He otherwise seems well but I’m not sure if this is a sign his Pergolide needs to be adjusted.
He is normal. Miniatures just don't shed off easily. And they begin to get a winter coat earlier, too. I clip in spring and sometimes in early August also.

I clipped Billy's belly yesterday. We are due for another chilly week, but hopefully have a bare belly won't make him cold. He get so hot when we exercise. Maybe this will make him feel cooler all over.
A little breezy yesterday--not good weather conditions for clipping!

I'm in NW Connecticut and one of my mini horses has started to shed like crazy. The other who was on Prascend for the last 6 months for PPID has not yet started to shed. Interesting thing, his bloodwork just came back so low that the vet now thinks he may have been misdiagnosed with PPID (by another vet). They just had me take him off the Prascend this week. Crazy. They now say he may just be a Shetland Cross ? All I know is that he is not shedding. When the vet was taking a blood sample (so before I had recent results) I asked if he would shed out because he was now on the med, she said not necessarily. She told me, most minis still have to be clipped even if their medication is at a proper dose. My last mini who had PPID the last 2-3 years (of her 27) and was also on Prascend and she never shed out. I always had to clip her. Perhaps each horse is different.

I'm in NW Connecticut and one of my mini horses has started to shed like crazy. The other who was on Prascend for the last 6 months for PPID has not yet started to shed. Interesting thing, his bloodwork just came back so low that the vet now thinks he may have been misdiagnosed with PPID (by another vet). They just had me take him off the Prascend this week. Crazy. They now say he may just be a Shetland Cross ? All I know is that he is not shedding. When the vet was taking a blood sample (so before I had recent results) I asked if he would shed out because he was now on the med, she said not necessarily. She told me, most minis still have to be clipped even if their medication is at a proper dose. My last mini who had PPID the last 2-3 years (of her 27) and was also on Prascend and she never shed out. I always had to clip her. Perhaps each horse is different.
That’s Interesting thanks. Aside from the coat he is doing great ( body weight, muscle, thirst, etc). I do think Marty looks pretty Shetland like so I don’t want to read too much into his fur if that’s the only sign.

Not sure what being a shetland cross would do? 2 of mine are registered shetland and they both have shorter winter coats than the others. But they all start shedding at the same time.

Minis do seem to shed later than full-size and grow winter early than full-size; but good, balanced nutrition can help them shed a little earlier in the spring. I started mine on flax, initially just from January first until after spring shed, now year round, as we are on hay year round due to extended drought. It's a bit late now for improved nutrition to fully help with this spring's coat condition, as the coat started forming at the winter solstice; but it can help with future shed cycles.
[and, again, I didn't hit the reply button, so my comment sat here since yesterday.]

Not sure what being a shetland cross would do? 2 of mine are registered shetland and they both have shorter winter coats than the others. But they all start shedding at the same time.
Minis do seem to shed later than full-size and grow winter early than full-size; but good, balanced nutrition can help them shed a little earlier in the spring. I started mine on flax, initially just from January first until after spring shed, now year round, as we are on hay year round due to extended drought. It's a bit late now for improved nutrition to fully help with this spring's coat condition, as the coat started forming at the winter solstice; but it can help with future shed cycles.
[and, again, I didn't hit the reply button, so my comment sat here since yesterday.]

I guess I have a mental image of little furry Shetlands, but I’m new to the mini /pony world so maybe I’m wrong 🙂

I think Marty is in a good place nutritionally for a toothless old man, we have him on the Smart Itch Ease from SmartPak which has omega 3’s and various other things in it, his skin and coat were a mess and it really helped his summer coat (he was very badly neglected and rescued just over a year ago).

Latest posts

Back