Blue Eyed minis vs Brown eyed minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although blue eyes are nice, I usually perfer horses with brown eyes. Probably just because I perfer solid colored horses though.
default_yes.gif
:

IMG_3212.jpg

default_wub.png
:

I have one blue eyed colt that will be our future herdsire. Although the blue eyes or not doesn't help me decide whether or not I will buy a horse I still find them very facinating. I absolutely love his blue eyes, he got them from his sire SHM IM TU KOOL!

Knight Stars Kool Kowboy:

Kowboy.jpg

Well I love both too, BUT OH I will stop dead in my tracks for a blue eyed mini!!!!! Probably why I also raise rare Blue-eyed white donkeys!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Now there are sooo many out there that I have come in contact that don't like blue eyes, I have asked people when inquiring on a horse if it has blue eyes and they come back and say NO!!! like it would be a bad thing!haha

I love the different colors of blue eyes too, dark light, half brown half blue it is really neat I think!
default_wub.png
:

Its always been my theory that some dont like blue eyed horses as they look too human LOL. I myself love them and own a lot of blue eyed horses.

Heres my flirt due to foal early March!!

flirt-392x282.jpg

Nope! I don't have a problem with them in people, though, just animals. My brother's dog has a partial blue eye, and I think it's kind of freaky, LOL!

So here's the real kicker question...

Those of you who do NOT like blue eyed horses - do your spouses have blue eyes?
default_wacko.png
:

Lets hear!

I agree with ThreeC, I would prefer brown eyes but blue eyes would not keep me from buying that "perfect horse". IMO the brown eyes are just softer. The blue reminds me of the white exposed eyes that say,"I'm really scared".

I'm not a big fan of blue eyes in horses, not sure why. I love them in cats and goats, but not in dogs and horses! Guess I'm just weird ;)

Jessi

All my life, being around horses (big ones) it was always brown eyes for me!

Although we have a mostly pinto herd, they all had brown eyes too. Then I went nuts for a little stallion and we got him. (Spuds)

website1010007.jpg

He had a bald face and blue eyes, and it was through him that I fell in love with blue eyes! I got used to them. Then we lost him and I went in search of another boy with blue eyes.

We now have Lotto
default_wub.png
: He has blue eyes.

website1002022.jpg

We bought a few mares for Lotto (Taxi and Muffin) and they have blue eyes too.

Taxi

website1003013.jpg

Muffin

website1003007.jpg

We also have 2 Spuds daughters with blue eyes and a colt with blue eyes.

Then we bought Topper from Dona and he has one one each!

website1005005.jpg

I do buy horses with brown or blue eyes, makes no difference. I don't buy for eye color.

Conformation Yup!
default_yes.gif
:

After rambling on........Yup, I do like blue eyes! LOL! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something really lovely about big dark eyes, so brown are great, but I do have to say that I have always been a sucker for blue eyes. I just love them!
default_wub.png
:

Have to agree though - eye colour would never be a reason for me to buy or not buy any horse.

I like both Brown Eyes and Blue Eyes, but I am drawn to Blue Eyes. However when I see a horse I like and it does happen to have Blue Eyes I usually prefer a Large Blaze/Apron, BUT I do like them to have eyeliner around the eyes if they have a Large Blaze/Apron Face. I have heard there are to many problems associated with Blue Eyed Bald Face Horse with no Eyeliner.
default_unsure.png
:

My stallion here has a Half Apron face with 2 Blue Eyes and he does have Eyeliner on the white side of his face.

My Mares here have both Brown and Blue Eyes and most are Pinto or Genetic Pinto.

I look at conformation first and then body and eye color, but I am drawn to dark colored minis, but I do have 3 Silver Bays here in 3 different shades and all three are Pintos Genetically speaking.
default_yes.gif
:

Here is my 4 year old 34" Stallion who was very fat when I took these.

I love his head
default_wub.png
: and he was my "diamond in the rough" so to speak
default_wink.png
: when I bought him in "04" he was a rack of bones but I saw through all the hair and bones.
default_wink.png
: and saw what he could be.
default_yes.gif
: There is quite a story that goes with him and I am proud to be his mommy and he never has worry about going to another bad home EVER. He will be gelded and stay here forever if I ever find my DREAM Black and White Overo stallion.
default_yes.gif
:

This is my Monty: His first crop of foals born this year were very nice and all were Pinto and most had Blue Eyes even out of non-pinto mares.

100_0362.jpg

100_0363.jpg

Sorry if the pictures are so big :no:

Jeri

I love blue eyes! We own two stallions with blue eyes - a black overo (that has the perfect face markings that keep the black around his eyes) and a perlino pinto. They have given us a few with blue eyes, too, but not all. Maybe I like blue eyes because I realize the "wild and fun" pinto color patterns come hand in hand with the blue eyes. I do prefer to show a solid colored horse just because the white is so difficult to keep bright. I was told by a reputable judge that the color swirls and lines of the pinto horse often deceive them as they look the horses over in a line up. One pinto swoop in the wrong place can give the horse a pot belly or droopy topline and if the judges judge too quickly they could miss your good horse. :saludando:

t.jpg

This is S Bar P's Heza Cut Above. He has two bright blue eyes, coming from his perlino pinto sire.

I breed for loud colored pintos and blue eyes are a plus! I do think some judges don't like blue eyes, depending on their large breed background, but a good horse is a good horse regardless of eye color!

All of my breeding stallions have at least one blue eye and many of my mares are blue eyed as well. I love having blue eyed foals!

Here is an example of blue eyes and a bad hair day! I love this picture of Redrock C Me Now, now owned by Stephanie White, Three C Farm.

Noahapril.jpg

Since I 'cut my horse teeth' in the arabian world which REALLY frowns on blue eyes I was strongly against them until I became exposed to blue eyes in the pintos.....large and small. Now I think there is nothing more striking than bright blue eyes on a dark head!

9-06UltimateCowboyCBY2.jpg

This is Reflectuions Ultimate Cowboy CBY. The pic doesn't really show up his blue eyes very well, but in real life I think they are stunning. He now lives up north with Steffanie!

This is another one with two wonderful blue eyes and again I don't have pictures that really show them off....Reflections Star Bright

brightfillyrsmaller.jpg

The thing I find so interesting is how they can skip a generation. I wonder if they can skip more than one generation?????? Star Bright's sire and dam both have brown eyes....her grandsire on her dams has 2 blues...so does Star Bright. As far as I know there are no blue eyes in Skipper's or Cowboy's pedigrees.

I wish the stud books would list eye color!

SUCH pretty blue eyed horses on this subject! I love looking at them!

Charlotte

p.s. I forgot....S Bar P, who is that pretty stallion (?) on your post? I couldn't access your web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE the blue eyes! I had a few spot app mare with the clearest blue eyes that just sucked me in. Then is my baby--Moondancer. It is hard to think of her as not a baby even though she is 5 years old now. Her sire is all Van Lo bred and a blue eyed overo.

P1010774.jpg

P1010777.jpg

I really like blue eyes but I also think one reason is that I know the color genetics are there if I see blue eyes show up. I like the flashy colors and breed for them along with conformation and bloodlines I personally like. So to me blue eyes equal pinto/overo. I also have buyers that come to me wanting blue eyes as I have so many. Sometimes I get the solid color big horse backgrounds folks here and they dont like blue eyes at all, to each his own.

Here are just a few of ours. First is our loudest overo filly born this year, what a doll!

skittlesciscofillyrunrtsidenice1wk.jpg

This is her pretty splash overo mom, Skittles.

skittlesfacepretty606.jpg

This is the proud Dad, Cisco, a frame overo.

ciscofacegood406.jpg

This is another blue eyed Cisco son who is a black with the cream gene tovero.

charadeciscobothrunwoodfenceVERYGOOD1d7706.jpg

And for something different here are 2 blue eyed leopard appys, mom carries the cream gene and maybe splash too

fireslatecoltfrontofmomtrotNICEfullsun2day.jpg

Here is the same leopard colt pictured above but u can see his eyes better in this pix. His eyes are beautiful. To the right is his half brother same sire with brown eyes.

firejoleneslatecoltsheadsgood92506.jpg

Here is a black blue eyed filly from the same appy mom above. This filly is now a yearling and everyone that comes here tries to buy her. She is very striking looking being jet black with 2 bright blue eyes.

firewaterfillyheadblueeye1std.jpg

So here's the real kicker question...

Those of you who do NOT like blue eyed horses - do your spouses have blue eyes?
default_wacko.png
:

Lets hear!
Hubby has blue-grey, Nathan has grey-blue... both their eyes (and mine) change colors, Nathan's have been soem amazing shades of blue. We loved it
default_smile.png

I like both Brown Eyes and Blue Eyes, but I am drawn to Blue Eyes. However when I see a horse I like and it does happen to have Blue Eyes I usually prefer a Large Blaze/Apron, BUT I do like them to have eyeliner around the eyes if they have a Large Blaze/Apron Face. I have heard there are to many problems associated with Blue Eyed Bald Face Horse with no Eyeliner.
default_unsure.png
:

I know in cats, dogs, and other animals... alot of the time if you have white without the eyeliner, you can have issues with sunburn and such around the eyes. We had a cat who was a calico, one eye mostly outlined, the other not really marked. Every summer that un-lined eye would become inflamed and bright pink from the sun. I always threatened to pin her down and finish her makup job. We were always asking her when she was going to finish putting on her eyeliner, too :p

I love wide blazes, but not aprons/balds so much. It's really a horse-by-horse thing, and honestly... eye color wouldn't keep me from buying a horse I liked
default_smile.png

THANKS EVERYONE FOR POSTING. I WISH I KNEW HOW TO MAKE A POLL OF THE BLUE EYES VS THE BROWN EYES TO GET A BETTER IDEAL OF THE COUNT ON EACH. ANYONE KNOW HOW TO POST A POLL LIKE THAT.

THANKS melissa :saludando:

Back