Black Roan?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaniceZ

Reaction score
I have been looking at stallions to breed my mare to, and came across one that i like, they say he is a black roan ovaro. I have never heard of a black roan before.

So is there a colour black roan? if so, is it the same a blue roan? or smokey black roan?

thanks.

Yes, a black roan is the same as a blue roan.
default_yes.gif
Smokey would only enter the picture if the horse were carrying a dilute gene. Hope that helps!

Yup, Black roan is just as it sounds. Black coat, with roaning!

Same as Blue roan.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much!! I was confused, because there was no black roan option on the 'colour calculator' :DOH!

Would that mare by any chance be the mare standing out in my barn right now
default_laugh.png
. I sent photos to Devon that i snapped really quick. Im planning to take nicer photos in the morning for you two
default_smile.png
. Fashion is doing wonderful and has settled in nice, you two are going to really really like her
default_yes.gif

Casnos Minis, I would say that yours is a black appy, that is varnish roaning...that's another "roan" again. Of course, it could have been a true roan appy, that is ALSO varnish roaning.

Casnos Minis, I would say that yours is a black appy, that is varnish roaning...that's another "roan" again. Of course, it could have been a true roan appy, that is ALSO varnish roaning.
The breeder has black roan on his papers. He was born completely black and then started to roan. Thanks for the info. I love him anyways and I love his coloring. His dad is actua;;y a near leapord appy and mom is a black and white paint/pinto.

Christy

I agree that horse pictured is an appy roan. I have silver bays that are registered as sorrels, a silver dapple registered as a grey, etc. I don't really let the papers tell me what color my horses are.

Would this guy be a black roan paint?

dittojanieshead-stallionwebsave.jpg

dittoleftsidefencecornerweb.jpg

This are not very good pictures-Sire is black paint/dam is grey paint (turned white)-his was born Black/white

Nancy, he could be a black roan pinto, but my hunch is he is a black pinto who is turning grey. I personally love grey horses and own three (a stallion, a mare, and a gelding to-be).

If he is roan, it would be sabino roan in him, not true roan. If he were true roan, his head would be darker than his body. But, I do think he is going grey (white).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jill, I think your hunch is right, as he gets more white hairs in the black as he ages. And if anything his face is the lightest part. I have had him since he was 5 months old, he is turning 3 and I am dieing to have him trained to drive, I know I am prejudice, but I think he is a beautiful mover, he is a grandson of Bond Dynamo. Here's a face shot, please ingore the ugly woman in the picture, she sure loves this horse.

nancydittothumbnail.jpg

oops picture is so little probaly cannot see much

This mare looks like a black roan. This is her summer coat

cinny.jpg

this is her winter coat

cinny01.jpg

My black(blue) roan:

Denni- weanling picture

UnDENIABLE.jpg

recent picture

Denni%20and%20Bailey.jpg

Here are pictures of two of my blue roan horses. The first is a picture of my 11 year old mare K's Tiara Dew. The second picture is my 8-year old stallion, Reeces Thunder Bird.

Dewrt2.jpg

Thunderlftsm2.jpg

Casnos Minis,I say that is an appy also!! And so, will someone tell me what a sabino roan is?

Thanks,

CW
CW --

Here is a sabino roan that I own (and bred)
love0034.gif
See how he has white hairs all over his body and also all over his head? A true roan would not have these hairs on his head. His dam is a pinto wiith sabino.

Jill

[SIZE=12pt]Whinny For Me's Skippin Miracle[/SIZE]

2003 31.5” AMHR Silver Chestnut Sabino Roan Gelding – First “Home Bred Foal”

Shown as a yearling to multiple championships

Skipper%20and%20Lou%20in%20Stall.jpg

Skipper-VMHC-by-DRockwell.jpg

Horses%20--%2006092007%20--%20005%20SKIPPER.jpg

Latest posts

Back