Big Horse question about Paints

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Why is it that in the Paint world we have "Breeding Stock" that show no color?

But with minis and ponies - pinto color can never be passed on?

MA

PS: My last question should have said -- But with minis and ponies - SOLIDS with pinto backgrounds - the pinto color can never be passed on? What is the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
This mare is out of an overo sire so she can be hiding the overo gene. I don't know if this is the same with minis or not. I'm terrible with color genetics in the minis! If she's out of at least one paint parent she wilol be registered BSP. I keep running in and asking SO these questions lol

edited because my ttttttttttt sticks
default_wacko.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldnt the same hold true for the Big Horse Appaloosas?? If 2 visiable spotted Appaloosas produced a solid baby? Why cant that baby go on to produce spots?? And in the miniature world it is said that appaloosa markings wont/cant skip a generation? When in the big horse world they can?

Also, if there wasn't a breeding stock division, what would happen to those solid colored foals produced? Instantly worthless? Not like the mini which keeps its registration with or without color... Same for the appys.

i was told they register them breeding stock because its illegal to kick a registered foal out of its registry. So if a solid foal is born they are breeding stock. Doesnt at all mean you will get color.

This would be the same as if AMHA became a breed. Then they cannot kick out oversize foals just because they are oversize. Just like the Paint assoc cant kick out a solid foal just because they arent pinto.

does that make sense?

In APHA only colored horses can compete in most classes unless designated breeding stock classes. So you end up with solid horses that basically only breeding stock in the eyes of APHA showing. Unfortunately the price goes into the toilet if the horse is breeding stock and not regular registry. That is not to say solid horses can't be as conformationally correct or have the same athletic ability as colored horses. This is the dilemma for paint breeders as full siblings can be worth several thousands difference depending on if they have color or not.

That is one nice thing about minis is that solids still have value within the registry.

No Pinto pattern in any breed, or Appaloosa pattern, can be passed on if the parents are truly solid.

The problem arises out of defining "Solid" as the Pinto people call a blaze faced four white socked horse "Solid" thus, as we well know, if you breed two of those together, you can get some wild results!!

Frame cannot be carried, any more than any other pattern, BUT again, define solid as blue eyes alone can and do indicate the presence of Frame or Splash.

In Appies it needs only to have white sclera, striped hooves and mottling- sometimes only one of these characteristics is enough.

Sometimes these things pass completely unnoticed and a horse gets registered as "Solid" and thus the confusion began.

When you have a registry that relies on a pattern, and sets regulations that define that pattern, you will always get this problem.

I know, of course, there must be rules, that only makes sense, but it also makes sense to enter the 21st Century and get the definitions straight.

At least the majority of Mini people are trying to understand- now, if we could just get the people who actually are responsible for the registrations to take some interest...
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back