BHR.. any Paint people around

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RENMACMINIS

I bought a APHA paint mare Saturday she is 6 years old. I was told she was not broke to ride, but i have been trying things with her that makes me believe she has had at least some basic ground work done with her. This is my very first Paint horse and I would like some input from anyone on here that has had or has them.... here is her bloodline...

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/impressive+super+cat

and here is the bloodline to the stallion she is bred to for a May 2007 foal...

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/blue+dee+max

"Kat" is HYPP N/N before anyone asks, she is a very sweet, gentle mare and I am hoping I cant put some hard work into getting her completely trained and turn her into something other than just a broodmare.

I will add some pictures of her later as I cant get photobucket to open up for me right now.

Kat... she needs some weight put on her.. she was just weaned from her foal on Saturday and they had her on a dry lot.. because they were out of pasture...

Picture-1.jpg
303007_371049_thumbnail1.jpg
303007_371045_thumbnail1.jpg
303007_371041_thumbnail1.jpg

her previous foals...

04 colt
2004col.jpg
05 filly
2005fill.jpg
06 filly
2006fill.jpg
the stallion she is currently bred to is the sire of the 2 fillies

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't know anything about paints other than I really like them. But goodness, those last 2 fillies are beautiful!!!

Pam

My grandpa has a paint mare with Impressive bloodlines also.Cant really see her conformation that well from the pics to critique,but she looks friendly.I really like her 04 colts color,and the 06 fillys conformation.
default_smile.png

edited to add: Is Blue Dee Max a black and white paint?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I am a long-time Paint person, and an even longer-time QH person--can't really tell much about your mare from the photos, but she looks like a Breeding Stock? No visible color(or at least, I can't see any in the photos...!) Her breeding, though, is basically all QH-and some pretty good old stuff, at that! I like to see the Joe Reed/Leo stuff(Leo was well-renowned as a broodmare sire-that is, his daughters were known as great broodmares)--also, I see Three Bars(straight TB, but ran rather short races, and was VERY well-regarded in the QH world), Oklahoma Star, Peter McCue, Traveler--some of the finest old QH bloodlines, IMO. This is the case with most, if not all, APHA horses-the registry only came into existence because some of the early QH people were so stuffy about spotted horses! The HOBO line was well known to contain paints, as one example.

When I was a young teen, after owning several very ordinary grade horses, I actually advertised that I was looking to buy-and ended up buying a little 14 h. 1/2 in. bay mare with a little blaze and hind sock. She was not registered, but obvious quality-and FAST?! That little mare could RUN--had been roped off of, and I ran barrels on her. Turned out, she had several half siblings who were in the early AQHA studbooks, and was by the same sire as a top QH race mare of the day, SHUEFLY. She could have been hardshipped into AQHA, but as a youngster, I didn't have the $200 it would have cost back then, and my non-horsey parents didn't, either....I named her "Luz Benedict"(ever see the movie, "Giant"? I'd been down in Texas when/where they were filming it the summer before I got her, and that was the name of Mercedes McCambridge's character-she played Rock Hudson's character's sister--bet I am the only person on this Forum who has actually MET James Dean AND Liz Taylor!-and Rock Hudson, of course!)Anyway, I bred Luz to a blue roan grandson of old KING P-234, and Roan Waggoner-another two grand early sires-and got an outstanding strawberry roan filly-not a bulldog-y type, but a lovely refined mare who could stand up well TODAY in type and quality. Later, when I went off to college, I sent Luz over to an uncle in Texas; he bred her to a wild colored sorrel frame, and got a wild colored frame colt!! I wish I had this fine mare today; she was an extraordinary individual and producer-because she had the breeding behind her!! I actually researched her background, found she went directly back to the sire of Man 'o War!!

But, I digress--what used to be called 'cropouts'-QHs from two 'apparently' solid colored parents, who showed color, (which, it turns out, was usually sabino, or 'hidden'frame) are now recognized as just the visible manifestation of what their parents 'really' were! If that had been known back in the forties, when the AQHA was just getting started, there likely wouldn't even BE an APHA-they would all be under the AQHA umbrella....

Looks like your mare is a good producer; with those solid bloodlines, she should be a good candidate for whatever you wish to do with her!

Margo

My SO raises Quarers and Paints. Says you have a nice mare there. He's a bit prejudiced toward the Painted Robin and the Tufferenell lines (we have those lines in some of ours). He says it looks you have good foundation lines. He like the stud too. Congratulations! I'm glad you're going to train her to ride. A "brood" mare should know how to do something besides raise babies!

Yes Kat is a breeding stock, the only white she has is a star and her left rear foot has a little splash of white right above the coronet band. These are the only pictures I have her so far.. She wont stay far away enough from you in the field to get good ones. I tried to have my oldest daughter get some this afternooon when I had her out and was working her a bit but she kept chopping her head off in the pics so I gave up..lol...

Yes Equine Lover Blue Dee Max is a black and white paint... I have permission to post these pics so here is a picture of him...He is 16 hands tall as well.

Wannaride_21.jpg

BlueDeeMax.jpg

again those fillies are sired by him and of course the one she is carrying now is by him as well..

Last edited:
That stallion is gorgeous and throws beautiful foals! If you need to sell the foal.....keep me in mind next year.
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

Minimule if it is a filly and comes out looking like either one of the last 2 fillies she wont be going anywhere!!! If it is a colt I will put him up for sale as I dont have the room or facilities to keep him unless I geld him.

I raise paints also and your mare has some nice halter bloodlines. The stud she is bred to is my stallions, sires full brother. Small world. LOL. I love the Blue Max lines but I'm looking to bring in different bloodlines for the fillies I have kept off of my stallion. My stallion is a black and white tovero, 16.2 and huge. Everyone loves him and wants to breed their mares to him but I'm not set up for outside mares right now. Not with all the minis on the other side of the land.

Thanks Everyone!! I am really excited about this new mare. They told me she wasnt broke to ride.. but I dont know.. someone has done something with her. I have had a saddle and bridle on her and she was fine with it.. even went as far as tightening the girth all the way up and still no reaction... There are a couple of shows left around here this year they have one a month. I am hoping she puts on some more weight and I can take her to at least one of them and see how she does there. Then spend this winter working on training her to ride then hopefully I can show her all next summer and hopefully show the baby as well.

Sherry

Ok.. here are some new pictures of Kat... now please keep in mind that she needs some weight put on esp. along her topline. Also my 8 year old daughter took most of these pictures so might not be the best you all have seen.

Picture002.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture006.jpg

You have a really well bred mare, predominately halter bred but the dams line on each side of the pedigree has some good riders. I wouldn't have minded having a pedigree like hers when I was breeding paint halter horses.

The stallion she is bred to has several halter horses that were also all around horses. You should have a nice baby.

I am at work and can't get the pics but can imagine they are nice.

Latest posts

Back