Are you a "big dog" person or a "little dog" person?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after feeding a little dog for so long, I think the dog food bills for a big dog would be sticker shock!
default_biggrin.png
Ok, so for comparison... We have two 40-50# herding dogs (one red heeler and one blue healerX), we go through at least one 40# bag of dog food per month. We'd probably go through more if the red heeler would eat more, but she's too busy doing everything but eating (we do give her table scraps and other extras, as she is thin). [i don't worry too much about the blue heelerX, she does get dog food, but also finds her own food; last winter she ate a deer and a cow, both she found dead out in the back pasture.
default_rolleyes.gif
]

I am a big dog person all the way. My collie is my doggie 'soul mate'. She is so intelligent, loyal, and sweet. Wouldn't hurt a fly and is always right by my side (but never in the way). My grandmother has 4 pekingese (spelling?) and a maltese and while they are sweet for the most part, I can't stand them. They are loud (ALWAYS barking at something), obnoxious, and much harder to train. They have accidents in the house at least once a week. My collie will wake me in the middle of the night if she has to potty. She has never had an accident. I just love her-so laid back and of course horse savvy. She takes in abondoned cats and kittens and is always out playing with the foals. Great with my little 3 yr old sister who tries to 'ride' her and gets right in her face. The little dogs snap, the collie loves the attention.

Yep, big dog person here!

I have1 Great Pyrenees, and 2 Boxers so I guess I am into the larger breeds. I do not think Boxers are larger but that is my opinion. I have had boxers all my life and now have my second Gt Prys. I would like to get a smaller dog and am trying to figure out what kind. As you know I have alpacas and 1 horse soon to be 1 large horse and one mini. My whole yard is fenced with no climb fence so my dogs run the yard instead of me wlking them. I do not really want a very small dog but would like a lap dog. Any ideas? I lost my chow/border collie mix a little over a month ago and miss her terribly.

Nancy, if you like Boxers then a small dog for you would be a BOSTON TERRIER!! They are absolutely BEAUTIFUL, SWEET dogs, loaded with personality, always making you laugh at their antics. BUT, beware, these dogs come in various sizes (3 different weight groups), so make sure you do your homework and ask the size of the parents (weights) and choose the smallest if you want a lap dog. My Molly was about 15 pounsd, and they do come smaller, and she ws a WONDERFUL lap dog and wonderful all around companion!!
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

Mid sized!
default_biggrin.png

I grew up with a yellow lab, then a St Bernard/Black Lab x, then I got a medium sized mutt, also a Rotti and a St Bernard. But my all time favourites are my Cardigan Welsh Corgis. 30-40 lbs, small enough to take pretty much everywhere, but not a small 'froo-froo' dog. I've had numerous people say that they are a lot more dog than they thought they would have been and were very impressed with that fact!! Not for everyone, as they are super smart.....but with 7 in the house now I'd have to say they are my favourite!
default_wub.png
:wub

~kathryn

Thanks for the suggestion on the Boston Terriers. I just checked them out on the web and was interested until I saw the costs Pups are listed for sale from $650.00 to $2400. Wow I did not even pay that musch for my Gt Prys.

Love 'em all.

But it's the small guys I want in my life. My ancient Maltese died a couple of months ago and I've been waiting for something to turn up to keep my Cocker Spaniel company. Nothing has yet so guess I'll have to make a decision (and I'm not good at decisions). What I do know is I want something tiny, female and incredibly cute...Oh I guess that would be a ''froo froo dog''.. Probably end up with something huge, male and decidedly lacking in froo froo.

Good word 'froo froo" Like it.

Good word 'froo froo" Like it.
default_blush.png
not sure where I picked up that term...whether it was at a dog show, or whether it was something I coined....but I hope people don't take offence to the word!!

I love the 'froo-froo' dogs!! I always watch them at dog shows!!! They are absolutely adorable!!!! Just not the dog for me
default_smile.png

~kathryn

default_blush.png
not sure where I picked up that term...whether it was at a dog show, or whether it was something I coined....

~kathryn
Don't think you coined that one Kathryn, we use it in my family all the time too. Probably some french word we English speaking Canadians have made our own.

I second the Boston Terriers, they are wonderful dogs, happy to be a lap dog but ready at a moments notice to go hiking, play fetch or just romp in the back yard. They have everything I like about the big dogs plus the benefits of being small- they can curl up on my lap or in my bed without me being crowded and they can ride in my car happily even if I have a passenger or 2. As for cost, yes they can be pricey but you might want to check into breed rescues. Sometimes you might find your perfect dog waiting for a badly needed new home and there are quite a few Boston rescues on line.

Mine is an excellent watch dog but not yappy at all which happens to be the thing that I always disliked about small dogs..

Latest posts

Back