Are you a "big dog" person or a "little dog" person?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic

Reaction score
Do you consider yourself a "big dog person" or a "little dog person"? I've always considered myself a big dog person; I have a Great Dane female (house dog) who is 153 pounds and 34" tall, and two Livestock Guardian Dogs, one at approximately 100 pounds and the other about 150 pounds. Our smallest dog is a Catahoula and she weighs 60 pounds, also a house dog.

A friend is fostering a darling four-pound Yorkie female that was taken from a puppy-mill situation, and I'm considering adopting her. Can a big dog person be a tiny dog person too? Opinions?

I started as a big dog person, then moved down : )

Always had big dogs, labs and collies. Then we found the "ditch dog" - we think she's a border collie mix, but she's small and about 30 pounds. From there I got 2 chihuahuas, they are 5 and 8 pounds!

All have their good and bad - love them both. But we have found an issue - we had to get the second small dog so the first one had a playmate, but neither is big enough to safely play with the border collie, so she has no one to play with. Maybe you need to get 2 small dogs?
default_rolleyes.gif

I guess I prefer medium size dogs. I've had a shepard mix, an Australian Shepherd, and a blue heelerX; all were in the 40-50# range, and just about the right size. What I consider big dogs are too big, and I just don't care for little dogs. My MIL has a doxie, and he's a nice enough dog, but I'd never have one. I've had friends with chihuahuas, nice enough but I don't want one. I've been around miniature Schnauzers, nice dogs (even the two neurotic dogs my Aussie grew up with), but I don't want one.

I started as a big dog person, then moved down : )

Always had big dogs, labs and collies. Then we found the "ditch dog" - we think she's a border collie mix, but she's small and about 30 pounds. From there I got 2 chihuahuas, they are 5 and 8 pounds!

All have their good and bad - love them both. But we have found an issue - we had to get the second small dog so the first one had a playmate, but neither is big enough to safely play with the border collie, so she has no one to play with. Maybe you need to get 2 small dogs?
default_rolleyes.gif

You are SO helpful, lol!
default_wink.png

I like the idea of a little dog being small enough to take with me when I go places; something I just plain cannot do with the really big dogs very often.

But I do worry about a tiny dog getting hurt by the Catahoula. I wouldn't take her out to the barn where the LGDs are, I'd be more worried about her getting hurt by the horses, I think the LGDs would be fine, and the Great Dane is very gentle and careful, but the Catahoula is playful. Still, the Catahoula is good with the one cat that isn't afraid of her, and the cat is close to the same size as the Yorkie.

If I were going to be practical I'd get another dog about the size of the Catahoula so those two could play together.... hmmmm

I have both but I am a BIG Yorkie fan. I have 2 Yorkies, a weimaraner and a British bull dog. Yorkies are fantastic Big dogs in a little body
biggrin.gif
They have heaps of character and are really easy to train. My 2 will walk any where with me without a lead and they never leave my side.

I have had many over the years and they have all given my hours and hours of joy.

Thanks for the input, Eagle. My husband's aunt and uncle used to have several Yorkies and I thought they were awesome little dogs. I haven't met this rescue Yorkie in person yet but from the sound of it I'd like her. She needs lots of rehab of course, as she'd been caged basically her entire life it sounds like (sigh) but she's healthy. Her foster mom is doing her best to work with her right now, and I could contue that. I have a soft spot for dogs in need.
default_wub.png

I've always been a big dog person.. the little dogs just seem to yappy for me. Also wouldnt be much of a deterant for a thief....

I love both big dogs and little dogs...My preference in big dogs, tho, is prohibitive as I am a renter and MOST landlords will not allow the breeds I like...Rotties and Dobermans. I also love Labs, but can't bring myself to get another one since my 1st "heart" dog was a black Lab.

I've since become a small dog person and having 4 small dogs is a lot easier than having several big ones...LOL! I own 2 Min Pins (LOVE this breed), a larger Yorkie and a Chihuahua/Papillon mix (Chion).

Good luck with your "new" Yorkie! If your Catahoula plays well with smaller dogs they should be fine together.

I love tiny dogs; my current ones are a 6 lb. Malteses and a 4 lb. Chihuahua(I've had a number of Chihuahuas in my lifetime...all pretty true to type and truly small.) That said, I have also had and loved several large(not 'supersized', but considered large)dogs...including a Lab, a Rottie, a half-Rott, half-Dobie,a purebred Ridgeback(who was extra large for a female at 113 lbs. at her life's zenith). After I lost her at age 12 1/2 last year, I watched the rescue groups for MONTHS looking for another 'larger' dog with the qualities I want. I needed one with a little age, size, SHORT hair coat(just don't need anything else with a lot of 'FUR' that needs serious grooming to keep up!), and most of all, that would respect my present fencing AND be OK with my elderly small dogs(vitally important to me!)FINALLY found a purported? Ridgeback cross at Animal Humane, and she is working out VERY well! 1 1/2 yrs, 60 lbs.,already housebroken and w/ some bssic obedience...respects the fencing and OK w/ the 'tinies', though I don't leave her alone w/ them in the house because she does try to 'play', and is just too ROUGH for them! She is a goofball, loves to run BIG circles at TOP SPEED, just for the heck of it; also very vocal, growling and whining while doing her best to stand on her head(no kidding; if I can ever get a video, I plan to send it to 'America's Funniest HV'...it is hilarious to see!) She loves the minis; thinks they are other dogs, I believe, so I have to speak to her sometimes when she is trying to get one of them to play!

I have NEVER allowed my tiny dogs to go out to the barn, period...to me, it presents just too many hazards for them. They have a safely fenced back yard, plus the house, and they are quite content. I do let them go with me in the truck occasionally, when the weather is suitable, but have never taken them 'everywhere", though I might wish to if I had no other responsibilities when traveling. Having a dog along IS a big responsibility in itself, IMO.

I think it is VERY easy to be BOTH a big AND a small dog 'person', and I'd bet you'll love it! Let us know what you decide, OK? and best wishes!

Margo

Eagle that pup is just TOOO cute.I'm not a big Yorkie fan, but I could take that pup home.I started in 1958 with German Shepherds and raised and showed them for over 42 years(same line descended form my origianl breeding pair in 1960.Got a Pembroke Welsh Corgi(big dog attitude with no legs)in 1972 and have had them since.2 spayed females now are 11 and 9.5 Thinking about a Standard parti poodle when something happens to 1 of these but not sure the younger 1 would tolerate a larger female dog.I love all dogs-each breed has their won special unique traits We had a blue heeler for a while He was awesome, but they can be very 1 person attached(he was and it wasn't me.)

We have both, but I'm a little dog, especially shih-tzu, kinda person
default_wub.png
The little fur boy below is my best friend and my second of my life "he must be from a story book" kind of dog. Love him so much it hurts... If he's not a gift from God, I don't know what is.

Watson--011609--010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I always considered myself a big dog person. The bigger the better. In fact I used to regularly declare that small dogs weren't real dogs at all, they were 'scraps left over from making the real dogs'
default_laugh.png
But... I have been forced to eat those words and am now a lover of both. I do not love every breed whether they are big or little but I got a Boston Terrier for my birthday 2 years ago and I am thrilled to have her in my life. She is less than 20 lbs but can hold her own with my 135+ lb Bullmastiff while still being small enough to cuddle on my lap, travel in my vehicle and go with me almost every where. I too worried a bit when she first came here to live that she'd be hurt by the big guy but she just walks all over him.. literally and figuratively
default_laugh.png
default_wink.png

Here is a picture of my pair. Love em both but for different reasons.

P9080033.JPG

PC200081.JPG

P9120037.JPG

Funny you should ask that! We've always had big dogs (Dobermans) we bred them for awhile and then we got into the tiny dogs. So I LOVE both but have a big soft spot for my dobies...and guess what. I get home from school today and my dad surprises me with a doberman puppy!
default_new_shocked.gif
I started to cry and this is the one thing I have been asking for, for years! We pick her up the 15th I'm so excited
default_biggrin.png

Growing up I had bad experiences with dogs, great dane tried to bite me, pekingese came after me and a beagle bite me in the face. I grew up with a black lab that was the most awesome dog. We also had an australian sheppard but she was a one person dog and that wasn't me. So when I got married and had kids I thought it would be a good idea for my kids to grow up with a dog so they would have better experiences than I. We got a short haired collie/husky mix and she was fantastic with the kids, loved that dog...even though she played too rough with the cats. Then we were dogless for a few years and figured when we retired we would get a dog then. Some friends of ours had shih tzus, and I just loved their "Sweet Pea". So when they said she was expecting I was excited. When they were born I went to see them and I was done. We now have a shih tzu and I would have never believed in a million years that I could love a dog so much. He is such an awesome dog, with the grandkids, with anybody that comes over. He goes out to the barn, on walks and loves to go for rides in the car. Here he is guarding my grandson.
default_wub.png
sleddnworeeanout.jpg

And here is his cute face.
default_wub.png

harleyfavoritenov10.jpg

So I guess my answer would be little dog...now.
default_biggrin.png

PS Eagle your Yorkie pup is just too darn adorable!!!
default_wub.png

default_saludando.gif
i own big dogs i have a great dane X bullmastiff and a rottweiler

but i just love all dogs great and small

i have my own mobile dog wash business

and iam with dogs all the time coudnt think of a better job then being outside hanging out with dogs

I love them all -- tiny, giant, and everything in between!

We just lost our old Yorkshire Terror, Teddie, who had the personality of an entire kennel. We took him in as a foster dog, but he instantly decided Keith was his human. Teddie worshipped Keith and only put up with me. Every night he would spoon against Keith's stomach and try to kick me out of bed!

I've been owned by a number of terriers, and the only drawback is when they remind you that they are smarter and more stubborn than you!

For the time being, we have a tiny Maltese, Billie Holiday, and our ancient blind toy poodle, Shadow. We are on the lookout for an LGD...time to balance the pack with another biggie to watch over the littlies.

Our little dogs are never allowed in the corral, but when I'm carrying one, all three horses sniff them and get all soft-eyed, as if they're saying "It's a baby!"

Latest posts

Back