Any Jewelry Television lovers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowsmystictopaz

Reaction score
Hi there I was wondering id any of you guys watch jewelry television. I was also wondering if any of you have gotten gemstones from them and have gotten them appraised. A friend of mine wants to get a parcel of 100 carets of gemstones and see what we get out of it and then take the gemstones we pick out to a jewelry store to try to sell the gemstones. If you have done something like this and liked what you got in return could you tell me about it. I am really curius about prices more then the gemstone in itself but your welcome to tell me the name of the gemstone and what you sold it or it got appraised at. Thanks ahead of time.

I wouldn't recomment it to your friend. Stores have their own suppliers they trust and who are bonded and liscensed. Nope, I think the stuff they sell is priced too high and usually not to my tase at least. I think the phrase "buyer beware" is apt.

They go right to the dealers thats why its exspensive and thats a good thing in my opinion. I am just trying to help her out so she can start getting things done.

Indeed buyer beware. YOU have to know everything you can about gemstones and you have to back it up. If you buy a parcel and there is ( just for example) an orange gemstone. Can you tell me if its Garnet, Sapphire, Sunstone, Topaz or somesuch? If your friend wants to make jewelry or to save some stones and ebay the rest, then go for it. But it is VERY hard to make any money these days with the Ebay mentality ( I want it cheaper than cheap). Have her go to Ebay and see what is there. I do think that there are many people on their who buy parcels and resell individual stones.

I can pretty much tell a gemstone from looking at its color texture and quality. If you want to test me out i double dare you to send me pics of gemstones ill know as soon as i see them and then you can tell me if im wrong or not to use jewelry television. You might think that they are over priced but thats just your opinion. I want to see what others think. I am joined to almost every single gemstone and jewelry group there is on yahoo and i can never find better quality then jewelry television. They offer more then you can think of when it comes to gemstones. I highly recamend you watch the show before you judge because i think it would be a good learning exsperience.

Hi shadowmystic,

I totally agree with you and your friend, I have bought jewlery from them and it appraised for triple the amount I paid. I think you should do more reserch as to what kind of gems you would be getting.Yeah well worth it. I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM E_BAY.......some people just dont know what they are talking about and it shows. :DOH!

Good luck to you and your friend.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Shadow, I am sorry to sound rude, but no you cannot tell one gemstone from the other just by looking at it. This is why there are certification courses for gemologists. You cannot, without tools, tell my example stones apart, it cannot be done and this has played out on some Discovery channel type shows. While JTV has some great stuff, they are not high end, maybe middle of the road. They may carry some great pieces, but there is a reason why they sell off parcel lots and this is why those lots show up on Ebay.

Listen to any input Dimi can share, she messes with jewelry.

Thanks Pepi but I do more than "mess with jewlery" it is my life. I am not a gemologist but know my stones and crystals and gems and STILL I can be mistaken especially on the yellows and greens...I did not intend any disrespect I merely wanted to have your friend be aware that in the gem biz it is very difficult to sell to a "jeweler" unless you have the creds to back up your product.

you know what god gives gifts to people. you just dont know it because you never tried. i think that you guys really need to think about what yopur saying. I dont like that you guys cant givea good opinion when you dont know enough to even give them a chance. I just came here for some help and not a bunch of not good veiws. Please if anyone has something good to say please do say it.

Hi there I was wondering id any of you guys watch jewelry television. I was also wondering if any of you have gotten gemstones from them and have gotten them appraised. A friend of mine wants to get a parcel of 100 carets of gemstones and see what we get out of it and then take the gemstones we pick out to a jewelry store to try to sell the gemstones. If you have done something like this and liked what you got in return could you tell me about it. I am really curius about prices more then the gemstone in itself but your welcome to tell me the name of the gemstone and what you sold it or it got appraised at. Thanks ahead of time.
Read your post..you asked for peoples opinions and they were given, nobody's being mean just encouraging caution. I "have" a God given gift, I don't know you at all, you don't know me obviously but I took the time to try and give you my thoughts, my honest ones and I'm sorry if it wasn't what you wanted to hear. I in no way was being rude or disrespectful..merely warning about the closed business that gemstones can be with jewelers in retail. Nuf said, I'm done.

I apoligize for being to testy. Lets sart over right now and try this again. Who here have a gemologist degree. If you do then could we talk about jewelry television in privet. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

If you are serious in this, here are a few things that you will need.

Gem jars, bags are too hard to write on an read

Tray for gem jars

Bag or somesuch to carry the trays

Tweezers

Caliper's'

Gemologist Loup

Since most of the stones in a parcel are not calibrated ( unless you specifically buy a calibrated lot) you will need the gem jars to store each stone in. Jars are best because the stone is easily seen and you can write what it is ( if you are selling, you need to be 100% absolutely certain what you are selling) and its size. Keep in mind that most Jewelry stores will already have a gem dealer on speed dial. This is one tough market to get into at that level. If you have craft fairs you may be able to sell your stones loose or set them. If you arent willing to buy all the setting tools, grinders etc, then you can purchase the snap in type. But again, know what you are selling and know that people who are in 'the know' wont buy snap in settings.

I wasnt trying to be negative, just to be negative. I was giving you straight facts. Might not be what you wanted to hear, but hearing all sides is what makes good business decisions. Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

Thanks i already have the twizers some jars and the 10 loupe so i am ready to go. I understand what you where trying to say and thanks so much for the help.

Not quite good to go yet LOL I forgot to add that you will need a book that lists all the gemstone color intensities and/or a set of master gems to compare too. A scale that will weigh in carats and a MOHs tester so you wont quite be guessing on stone types.

Latest posts

Back