Another woodburn picture

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
I finished another one. This one was taken from a photo I shot in IL a few years back. This was out on Port Clinton (I think
default_unsure.png
: )

Let's say I want to do this and make some $$......where would you advertise or try to sell?

lithouse.jpg

If you're interested in doing custom pieces, you could probably get some business right here. If you want to sell whatever you do/have done, you might try e-bay.

I've thought about eBay. I wouldn't mind trying some custom work. Anybody want to give me shot?

default_yes.gif
: You could list prices on different sizes here, and maybe hit the local craft shows.

(My daughter did great on her handcrocheted rag rugs that way.)

I can see many orders for Logos coming your way. :bgrin Would love one for my driving club someday.

But like I said post a few ideas of sizes and prices here and look out. Good luck

Maxine

Thanks guys! I enjoy doing this. It's a creative release!!! I love to draw but just don't do it much anymore. This is something different.

Would something like $10/hour be fair? That would include the materials + my time to do it. I've got 2 more in the works now. I'll post when they are done.

Would something like $10/hour be fair?
That would be fair, but I would consider working out quotes before hand and sticking with that. It's easier on customers to know the cost up front. Giving a quote that both you and your customer are happy with in the end may take some practice, but that's how I prefer to do it when I have custom items made.

You have a talent here. Could be grown into a business...

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,, how about donating a miniature horse oriented one for the silent auction at the AMHA World show? Cheap advertising to a lot of people and the money goes to the Ammy committee for events for the amateurs. Or, something similar for the AMHR? Or mini rescue? Just include a flyer describing your services to the bidders can understand that you can do any designs for them...

I'd love to get one for my friends farm
default_smile.png
Do you do animal?? Any more samples would be great to see. Set up a page on your web site that's what I did with my custom embroidery...

I'd be interested in a custom piece, but charging by the hour would definitely make it kinda iffy for me. If you decide to do that I think you should consider having a guaranteed maximum time. That way potential customers would have a "worst case" quote. JMO

Thanks for all the replys and compliments. I'm really enjoying this outlet of creativity. :bgrin

Some very good points were made on how to charge. I think a maximum price would be a good thing. I can get a pretty good idea of how long it is going to take when I see the photo they want done. Everything could be sent through email to get an idea. Size isn't going to make that much difference since it would all be based on time. I really can't see anything taking more than 5-6 hours.......I could be wrong but that would have to be one intense photo.

How do I go about donating one to the silent auction. That could be doable.

Any other inputs would be great. If I can make this work.....I can start saving money for a lazer engraver! I could also put to rest some anxiety about needing to get back to my "real" job.
default_yes.gif
:

You can work through me on the silent auction and I will pass your info on to Judy Stadtlander who is on the Ammy committee. Same way as I did with the cutouts for the regionals.

i had my own craft business for years
default_smile.png
one thing to remember is in crafts or fine art you dont get paid for your time. the key is to make money off materials. for sure things that involve more time get higher prices but you cant really set an hourly rate. for example i used to paint and sell gourds

price of gourd 5.00

simply painted gourds i sold for 4 times what htey cost me 20.00

detailed gourds sold for 8 times 40.00

keep in mind thats a good profit because normal retail is 2 times the money. this is why when you see "clearance sales" at stores at 50 percent off they are just trying to get back the money they invested. Also this makes it easy to file tax returns should you ever get off the ground really well. When you file a tax return on a craft business you have to put down what the item cost you and then your profit.

so lets say i sold 100 detailed gourds at 40.00 each.

Gross Sales 4000.00

Cost of Sales 500.00

profit 3500.00

See how easy this makes it to track what you really are making?? I can tell you that most people who try to enter the craft market fail only because they have no idea how much profit they are making and how much it costs them to produce an item. They get stuck on the "hourly" thing and lose the big picture.

Hope you dont mind my hints. Its a business I have been in off and on for 20 years
default_smile.png

That looks GREAT!! I might send some business your way! Please keep us updated on your additional pieces.

WOW! :new_shocked: Excellent work! I would be cautious about a blanket price, more detailed work should be worth more money...I am thinking what wonderful christmas gifts
default_smile.png

Kay has given me some good advise that I think I'm going to take. I know crafts are hard to price.

I'm willing to try to do just about anything. I all ready have 2 new projects I'm working on, one is about 1/2 done. Can't wait to get it finished! I'll ask permission of the owner if I can post it when it's finished.

I LOVE a challenge so BRING IT ON!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back