Another question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
For those of you that add Metamucil powder to the feed instead of using the more expensive products like Sand Clear, how much do you feed?

I have been treating my horses one week per month with sand clear, but with 15 horses it gets pricey. If it works out to be cheaper to use the generic Metamucil powder I would rather use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it is approx. 2 oz (1/4 cup) of metamucil (generic walmart brand works fine) per adult mini. I don't quite recall, but I think it may be 10 days the first month, then follow up for 5 days a month there after. There are forum members that use it everyother day in high prone sand colic area, without any ill effects.

Carolyn

Our vet recommends the Sand Clear over the Metamucil. It apparently works better. We have never had a problem with sand colic while using Sand Clear. We did have two horses with sand problems when using the Metamucil. I could have bought alot of Sand Clear for what it cost in vet bills because I was using the Metamucil instead. We will only use the Sand Clear here now. I think it is cost effective.

Just our experience-

Peggy

We are on extremely sandy ground here and use a product called Sand Lube - which is probably the same as your Sand Clear. We've got about 17 horses and although it's expensive the vet bill we got for one of our foals which colic (needed surgery in the end) was huge - so we always use it now. As they say prevention is better than the cure - cheaper too in the long run.

I've never heard of anyone using metamucil before - so interesting to read and see other's thoughts/reply's to this topic.

Nicky

Sand clear and Metamucil are the same thing ( psyllium husk) I wonder why the vet preferred the sand clear ?

I use about a tablespoon of the generic metamucil every day for a week whenever my guys look "runny"

Psyllium can be bought in bulk through health food stores and several suppliers.

Latest posts

Back