Another overo genetics question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dona.

Would still like to hear of any direct offspring of Boogermans that have proven to be LWO+ - it would prove the point!

Anna

Well if your boy is LWO+ and he is a son of his and your guy's dam is LWO- then that would make Boogerman LWO+, as long as your guy can be proven through PQ/DNA to be a son of his??

He is a Boogermans son (DNA). But until I heard rumours on here that Rowdy was LWO+, I thought 'Dragon's' LWO+ had come from his dam's side. Which is why I asked my original question. But it now seems that it has come from Boogerman/Rowdy.

Thanks to everyone for their input. This has been a very interesting thread.

Anna

He is a Boogermans son (DNA). But until I heard rumours on here that Rowdy was LWO+, I thought 'Dragon's' LWO+ had come from his dam's side. Which is why I asked my original question. But it now seems that it has come from Boogerman/Rowdy.

Anna
Anna, do you know if his dam is still alive or not? Maybe you could offer to pay to have the mare tested for the owner, and then you would know without a doubt. Just a thought.
default_yes.gif

Anna
Anna, do you know if his dam is still alive or not? Maybe you could offer to pay to have the mare tested for the owner, and then you would know without a doubt. Just a thought.
default_yes.gif
Yes...but that would only tell you if his dam carried LWO....it wouldn't definitely prove that is where he got his LWO gene. Both the dam AND the sire could have been carrying it. If so....he could have gotten it from either one.
default_unsure.png
Of course, it's a "given" that no one should ever breed two LWO carriers together......but many ARE, simply because people don't know any better.
default_no.gif

Yes...but that would only tell you if his dam carried LWO....it wouldn't definitely prove that is where he got his LWO gene. Both the dam AND the sire could have been carrying it. If so....he could have gotten it from either one.
default_unsure.png
Of course, it's a "given" that no one should ever breed two LWO carriers together......but many ARE, simply because people don't know any better.
default_no.gif
Dona, my point was, that IF the mare(Anna's stallion's dam) tested negative, and he is PQ'd, then the only other place he could have gotten the LWO+ gene would be from his sire, which is Boogerman, correct? So yes, if the dam carried it also, then she would not know, but as it stands, this would at least be one more step towards elimination.
default_yes.gif

Yes his dam is alive. - Darmond IMA GGs Cover Girl Too - 'Dragon' was her first foal (2003). She was sold from Darmonds last year, so should be easy enough to trace - although as Dona said that might lead to further complications and not prove a thing LOL!!

Cover Girls sire was obviously Mr GG, and her dam was D Bar D's Tiffany (still with Darmonds). Tiffany's parents were D Bar D's Minute Man and D Bar D's Checkerboard. With various colours of pinto coming through this side of Dragon's pedigree, you can see how I presumed his LWO+ came from here and was really interested to find out that it probably came down through Rowdy.

It doesnt actually matter to me where it has come from as there is absolutely no possibility of any of my mares having 'American' connections -- oops bar 3 of them now I come to think about it!! :DOH! :DOH!

I just love tracing pedigrees and colours back through the generations, but the American side of things is all new to me, and I am so enjoying this forum and all the info given on it. I'm afraid I do get a bit carried away sometimes LOL!

Anyway thanks for all your help and info, its very much appreciated.

Anna

default_unsure.png
default_no.gif
There are also some people that are willing to take the 1 in 4 or 25% chance every time they breed of producing a lethal white just to get that coveted frame pattern as they have a 50% chance of producing it with 2 positives whereas with only one carrier they only have a 25% chance of producing a frame each time they breed. Perhaps we need to become more concerned about producing a healthy, well conformed horse rather than getting stuck on colours.

Sorry, but I beg to differ on your percentages!!! If you breed a LWO+ to a non-carrier you have the SAME 50% chance of getting a frame overo as you do if you breed 2 frame overos together and you have a ZERO chance of getting a lethal white!!! Try the coat calculator and see http://www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator1.asp

And breed your LWO+ to another pinto who is LWO- and you get a better chance of color (e.g. a pinto pattern) with no chance of a lethal white foal. That is what we did with our LWO+ mare.

Indeed targetsmom!
default_aktion033.gif

When breeding LWO to LWO you have:

25% solid, 50% frame and 25% DEAD

When breeding LWO to non-LWO

50% solid and 50% frame, an no DEAD ones!

I think that you would rather have a live solid then a dead lethal foal!

Also if those ignorant breeders are making excuses that a solid won´t sell, they could also buy a homozygous tobiano, then you will always have some kind of spots!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back