Another Critique?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margaret

Reaction score
Ok, I cant stand it.. I want in on this too.

I have a filly that I would love to hear comments on.. I have several pictures of her but will just put up this one for now.. She is a little hefty from free hay feeding, so she could stand to lose some weight I know.

santanareach.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The bad angle of the pic makes things stand out, but not sure if they are really there or if its just the angle? I would suggest getting more heal and a better angle on her hoof.

Well I am still not good at pick apart horses, however she does look over at the knee to me. She appears to have a longer plain head, but again could just be the side veiw. She has a nice long neck, one pic makes it look to tie in low but the other shows a different veiw so cant tell there.

I am guessing she is a yearling.............what I love how well filled out she is as most yearlings are not.

I don't think her weight is bad at all. My vet tells me not to worry about the weight until they are 1.5-2 years old, they are growing quickly. I am not an expert at these critiques, so I won't go any further than to say, as a whole picture, first glance she gives a nice impression. Just wanted to let you know, be careful about putting too much emphasis on the weight of a young horse (unless they are underweight).

Love her dapples,

Carolyn

Her weight looks fine - and she looks lovely. I love her head/face and color. Over all she is a pleasing picture.

the best photo for conformation critique is with the photographer at 90degrees (perpendicular) from the horse -- can't have either the forehand or hindquarters closer to you -- needs to be directly flat.

A horse standing more squarely and not stretched out allows us to see the actual angles -- stretching can change the shape dramatically --- and can be more or less flattering to the horse.

Can't hurt to have a "square, natural look" pose and a "stretched" pose to show the horse both ways.

Now back to your question -- she is quite lovely-- and thats a very nice clip job. Love how you have fitted the halter -- you are doing a good job of showing her in a flattering pose.

JJay

This is the first horse I've seen put up for critique that I nodded approvingly at when the picture loaded. What a lovely little filly! Her head is GORGEOUS, not plain at all. (How could a head like that be plain??
default_wacko.png
default_smile.png
I love her head, her eyes, her topline, her strong hip, her color, her tailset, and her length of leg. She's overall a very pleasing picture. On the negative side her shoulder appears to be pretty upright, the bottom of her neck could indeed tie in a little higher and cleaner, and those legs really concern me. She is definitely over at the knees right now but the pastern angles on all four make me think that a lot of it may be her poor trim job. It remains to be seen if she's still over once her lower legs are at all the right angles, other than that her legs are very clean-looking and nice.

Please don't mess with her weight, she really looks quite toned for a baby and it's so nice to see one with some actual flesh on it!! She's not fat, not by any means.

Leia

Overall, this appears to be a pretty darn nice filly-and I agree, her weight looks FINE! From the photos submitted, it appears to me that she might be a bit thick in the throatlatch, and not deep enough through the heart girth(amazing how often I see this in miniatures..?)..depth through the heartgirth, along with well-sprung ribs, are vital for heart and lung capacity, and therefore, stamina. I also believe that the filly has TOO much toe, especially on the hind feet, according to the photos. I wouldn't recommend more heel, but less toe. It appears to me that the way she is trimmed makes her pasterns TOO angled, which means too much stress on the suspensories,and a higher likelihood of unsoundness, esp. if asked to do serious performance work(such as jumping, or driving.) She is overall nicely balanced, however, with good length and attachment of neck, decent shoulder, strong(and the ever-popular, FLAT!!)coupling/loin, and croup, long and reasonably strong hip, and decent legs, as least as can be seen from only one side. Nice head, feminine and suitable for her size, as a Miniature-also, good clean definition where the neck attaches to the chest. I imagine you are justifiably pleased with her!!

The rather 'extreme' stretched neck with nose pointed UP is NOT conducive to seeing a horse properly, IMO. I understand trying to 'extend' the neck somewhat, for a cleaner line, but I REALLY think it throws the 'picture' out of whack to have the horse's nose in the air!!! An excellent position for showing the 'real' horse in photos is NO stretching, but(for side shots), a pose where the horse's body is directly 'over' its legs, with the front leg on one side SLIGHTLY behind the perpendicular, and the corresponding hind leg SLIGHTLY in front of the perpendicular(this way, you can SEE all 4 legs, but they are not distorted.) Photograph on a level with the horse's torso(which with minis, usually means squatting!), at a good right angle to the plane of the horse's body. The horse may be encouraged to SLIGHTLY extend the head/neck, but keeping it reasonably LEVEL, not "nose up" OR "nose down" to any degree. Front and rear photos should be with the horse well-squared up,on a level surface, and again, not stretched. These are the kind of photos that will be most useful in conveying the horse's ACTUAL conformation--I am not talking about promotional shots(though for me, I'd RATHER see THIS kind of photo, as I want to see the REAL horse!)

Edited to add: I do NOT see this filly as in any way 'over' at the knee; there is a 'fuzziness' of the knee and hock areas in the first photo, and an odd 'dark' area at the knees in the second photo(can't tell if it's actually 'on' her, or just the photo)-but I absolutely don't see her as over at the knee. This doesn't change the fact that I believe she needs the trimming changes I outlined above, however.

Margo

I just wanted to add that I think she's not a bit fat, and do not cut back her feed.

I don't have anything to add on the critique that hasn't already been said.
default_smile.png

Cute girl!

Liz M.

Thankyou everyone for offering your critique..

This filly was born in December of 06, so I guess that makes her about 9 months old.

Yes, Margo, she does grow a lot of toe in comparison to her heels.. she is much like her mom that way..

I did trim the toes down since these photos so she is much more relaxed in the suspensions.. Perhaps that will affect the appearance of the over at the knees look, as her dam and sire are not that way.

Also "upping her grain" a bit more to help balance her weight more evenly, and she gets plenty of hay and short pasture with that.

Thanks Margo and Bluerocket -for your advice on the best angles to use for critiquing a horse. (Next time I will know)

I had to get my photos from my web site as they wont load from a jpg onto this page for me.

Also; A special thanks to Hobbyhorse, Margo, and Blue Rocket, for your wonderfully discriptive critiquing job! :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:

I agree. this is NOT a fat filly.... more concentrates will help balance her chest butt and tummy. She is pretty and I do like her. I think that throatlatch can get some help with a wrap.

Lets see how her legs progress as she grows. Sometimes the over in the knee stuff goes away on a youngster. ALso her dark coloring on them makes them more pronounced so maybe some of that is an optical illusion.

Lyn

Just want to state that the parents dont have to be over at the knee to get a foal that is. I have a gelding who neither parent has it and out of several full siblings he is the only one that has it.

Just wanted to say this is one of the nicer fillies put up for critique and totally agree with others, SHE IS NOT FAT!!! she is perfect at the weight she is. You don't want any less weight than this when you start to conditioning her or she will look like heck, as a matter of fact I am of the opinion that sometimes it's better that they have more weight to start when you start them on an exercise conditioning program. She has a very nice top line and decent tail set as well. Not sure if it's the picks about the knees but she has so many other nice attributes that I wouldn't sweat it at this point. I think you have a nice filly who should do very well in the showring should you decide to go that route.

Thanks Lyn, and Danielle, :saludando: She use to look like a palomino..all blond. Just recently she, clipped out this darker dapple color, and is showing the darker points you mentioned. I am hoping you are right.

Someone is considering her for something to show, and may stop by next week, and I am working on getting her in shape, including more concentrates in her diet.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back