Angel, maiden mare's highly anticipated pregnancy!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you ladies. I woke up every half hour and checked on her by camera and twice in person. Her udders feel pretty hard but they've felt that way for well over a week. She is 33" and the stud is 36" so he is bigger. Thankfully my husband comes home today so he can help watch and I'm going to beg him to read the birthing sections of my books so he is prepared to help if necessary (he really doesn't way to be involved too much as this is 'my thing' but he does love the minis so he will do it if needed). He will be home for two weeks so for that time someone should be home 24/7.

I really wish I could take the time off but it would be a big disservice to my students as my AP classes have their AP exam on May 10th and my seniors have senior final exams on May 8th and 9th. We have a lot to do in class until then!

Thank you for the extra eyes, I'm afraid I am getting so tired that I may miss something! Ill let my husband sleep as long as he wants tonight through tomorrow and then he will split the night shift with me for a bit so I can get some sleep. That is still 100% supervision unless we sleep out there so the more eyes the better! I really appreciate all the help. Thank you all!

Oh and Renee, how did you flip those pictures? All the pictures I posted of every horse but Angel posted right and for some reason with hers they are all over the place (kind of like she is lately with her labor signs :-/). Thank you for fixing them
default_smile.png

I think it's cool that your hubby loves the minis. My hubby hates horses and couldn't care less what I did with them. Luckily, my youngest child is a big horse fanatic. He sleeps with ponies and goes nuts when he sees them. My hubby has said that if I died, he might keep the horses for our son, which I was tickled with. He'll help me out as he loves the farm work part of it. He's a workaholic!

No problem Paula, I saved them onto my pc and then flipped and reposted them. I am glad your hubby is home, for you and to help lighten your load. I understand you can't give up work and now hubby will be home it will make it easier. You also need to train him to see the signs of labour so that he can ring you intime. ( no use calling you in total panic once he sees baby's hoof sticking out)

Pull up Marestare and open the "barn alarm" and leave it open on your computer. When you hear the "low alert" go off it will tell you which barn has a mare in labour. Get hubby to watch and talk him through the typical labour signs.
default_thumbup.gif
Good luck

Yeah I'm pretty lucky that he loves horses. When we met he'd never really ridden and when we started to get serious I told him that he would have to learn horses or our relationship couldn't go much further. He agreed and I started teaching him and when he bought himself a horse I married him lol (not quite that quickly
default_smile.png
. I feel really fortunate that he rides with me on the big horses and carts with me with the minis. He's never going to be as horse crazy as me and isn't one to just go saddle up and go for a ride on his own but if I ask to go he is more than happy to come too and he loves camping with the horses so we have a lot of fun doing that in the summer.

That's great your husband likes the farm chores... My husband not so much
default_smile.png

Renee- thanks! That must be the problem- I can't manipulate the pictures on my phone and my computer doesn't work very well.

That's a great idea ill have to have him look at that! In fact I need to watch it too!

Thanks for the advice.

So glad that hubby will be home to help from now on - I'm sure you will have a new little baby sometime in the next couple of weeks!

Try to get hubby to understand that when on 'duty' he must be actually watching her! Checks every 20 minutes are too far apart especially for an inexperienced person. A mare can be in the first stage of labour for quite a while (rolling, looking uncomforable etc) and this is the time that you would need him to call you - even if it turns out to be a false alarm - by the time the mare is doing loose cow pattie droppings the second stage of foaling is well underway and the contractons will soon start. From that moment, in a normal birth the foal will be born within minutes and will need someone there to make sure it clears the birth bag.

Then there are the pesky mares who simply decide to lay down and push the foal out while still munching on their hay and giving no 'warning' at all. As we say, dont think about popping indoors to go to the loo or to make a cuppa when you have a mare to foal, you could miss the birth!! LOL!!

It would be great if you could watch marestare to catch someof the low alerts going off as this would give hubby an idea of the early signs that a foal is on the way.
default_yes.gif

My phone number is: 863-990-3210 and feel free to call me anytime day or night if you need some assistance. I've attended several births here via phone, so when in doubt -- call!! If I see a call from Alaska -- I'll answer right away -- even at work!

Thank you Anna, I have been as vigilant as I can and have read multiple books cover to cover. My husband says I'm obsessed and I think he is right!

Diane thank you so much- I'm going to put you on speed dial! I really appreciate it. I've been so anxious over this my husband and mom are threatening to force me to go to the doctor to get Valium or something to calm me down. My ulcers are bleeding, I can barely keep anything down (which is probably a good thing as I need to lose quite a bit of weight).

My beautiful sweet Bailey boy who was my pug I had for 16 years (since high school!) had to be put down April 15th and I have been beyond devastated. I think that I've transferred a lot of that hopelessness into this baby as I c

As I couldn't do anything about helping him but I am obsessed with getting this baby safely on the ground and making Angel as comfortable as possible.

Paula, we're going to get this baby safely on the ground, but it won't have much fun playing if you're too sick to enjoy it! Just be calm, take care of your ulcers. Bleeding ulcers are not good, so give some focus to your health, as we're here to help you with the "nerves". You're doing just fine watching her, and with hubby home you need to focus on staying well and your teaching -- and don't lose weight by letting those ulcers bleed! LOL

So, deep breaths, and know that baby will be here and we'll help you get her safely on the ground.

I'm very sorry about Bailey boy -- it's never easy losing a close friend that you've had for so many years. But, he wouldn't want you sick either, and we want you healthy to play with baby!

Praying you work back to health, and begin to feel some calmness, as we are all here for you and baby!
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Thank you Diane I really appreciate the prayers and sorry for freaking out. It's just been stressful and I really need sleep.

Here are pictures from 330 pm today and her manure was a bit runny it seems as she had some on her.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

She is really looking nicely elongated and puffy!! Put someone on "guard duty" and try to get some rest! I don't think she's going to keep you waiting very much longer!

Or tell hubby to start gathering up a sleeping bag for his camp-out tonight!

Okay thanks! She's sitting in the sun rubbing her butt over and over right now. Ill sleep in the trailer tonight with her and James can tomorrow (he's just coming home from working for 2 weeks straight over 12 hour days 7 days a week so he needs sleep too). I hope she waits until tomorrow but ill be ready tonight! Thanks

Paula, I'm so sorry to hear about your Pug. I, too, have a Pug and two Pug mixes.....who look like Pugs. Our dogs are like our kids......or in my case, they are my kids. I have one step-son. Anyway, HUGS to you. I know what you're going through.

And Angel looks really good, and I bet it won't be long before you have a foal to love on. My new foal doesn't much want me to love on her, but I will convince her that she'll like it. LOL

Thank you Pam,

Our pets are our kids too, we don't have "real kids." He's been a part of my life exactly half of my lifetime and I don't even know what to do without him. Our other pug Aubrey Rose is sad too which makes it harder.

I'm sure your little one will be a pocket pony in no time
default_smile.png

Thanks for understanding,

Paula

so sorry to hear you lost your little pug,

but as Diane said you will be no good to mum and baby when she/he is ready to arrive if you're sick... I have her up for the next hour so you can sleep easy knowing I'm watching her
default_smile.png

Renee should be on soon, but I think her kiddies are home from school today so she may not be on her the whole time...
default_smile.png

she is looking good to go I think. how is her udder looking? from the behind pics the fact you can see her udder is a good sign that it is full so I really think it won't be long now!

Morning Ladies, I am awake
default_smile.png

Paula I am so sorry about your doggy
default_sad.png
i lost Poldo last year my 16 year old yorkie mix. He was born here just after I got married, it still feels quiet now but the pain has turned to fond memories.

Thank you Cassie. I slept for a couple hours after picking up my husband when I got home from work so feel a little better. I'm going to bed down in the trailer tonight as we are having about 40 mph winds and not sure if it might cut the camera off or not, plus I just don't want to take any chances. Extra eyes are great too! Thank you.

Ill try to get a better picture of her udders tonight.

Latest posts

Back