AMHA DNA typing hair sample HELP!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my papers back a week or so ago, and according to this thread I mailed in the hair sample around 2 months ago (Oct 20 or so). So 6-8 weeks seems about right. I did notice that at least a couple of weeks before I got my papers back the transfer was already noted in the stud book on-line. You could probably contact AMHA and find out if the name you picked is OK.

Thank you Mareish Mom!
default_saludando.gif

Hi, I recently sent in tail hairs for parent qìng and was told it has to be MANE HAIRS ONLY???? When did this rule start, I always sent tail hairs before as I find them easier to pull out!!
default_wink.png

well, that's interesting. I almost always send tail hair. But I do cut off the real long excess hair if the horse isn't a young foal.

How could anyone tell whether the hair is from the tail or mane other than length?

I hope that isn't true because I read that the tail hairs are easier to pull, carry heavier rots, etc. I also thought they would not hurt as bad to pull out (not true ...) and mine are about half and half mane and tail. I still haven't gotten my results. Here's hoping they have enough dna and are acceptable hairs!!!!!

I do not use plastic gloves. I do use ziplock sandwich bags.... pull the hair ( I always use mane hairs) and immediately place it in the baggie and seal it. If dong multiple horses, I write their names on the outside of the baggie.

Take all the samples from the other horses the same way. One baggie at a time. Wash your hands in between horses.

Then take all the baggies inside and tape the hairs to the spaces on the sheet as directed. Only have one baggie on the table at a time and clean up in between different samples.

Fold sheets as directed and mail in... easy!
default_yes.gif

Well a friend of mine contacted them (she is also a member) and was told it makes no difference... so not sure why I was given this false info?????? Maybe they dont want my money?? LOL Timber, in my experience it definitely is less painful taking the tail hairs rather than the mane hairs but as we all know, all horses are different.
default_saludando.gif
Thanks for the tip Charlotte, I never thought of cutting the tail hair before sending off...Doh!
default_wink.png

default_yes.gif
Here's to good luck for all of us with out DNA typing. I still haven't heard back....must be patient! Patience is not one of my strong points when it comes to this kind of thing!

We got our papers today!!!! WOOHOO I am now the proud owner of an AMHA registered miniature stallion! I have never owned a registered horse at all. It feels great!! Thanks for all the help everyone! I couldn't have done it without you!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back