Agrigultural identification survery??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

I got an ag idnetification survery in the mail today. It hints that is is mandatory to fill it out and mail back and says second request. (they are mailing it to my old address) Its from the US dept of Ag in Indianna. Did anyone else get one?? Do i have to fill it out??

one of the questions is during the past 12 months what was the largest number of the following livestock on hand at any one time (include animals of any age including newborns)

Kinda gives me the creeps

We havnt got one, i wouldnt even bother with it.

Write back, tell them when you move to Indiana you will let them know lol :lol:

leanna you crack me up!! I think this survey is way too nosey :lol: Ive never even lived in indianna and they sent it to my illinois address. Think ill file it in the trash can

I've gotten this more than once. Not sure what it is... I didn't reply...

It creeped me out too. I ignored the 1st one. They sent another. They make it sound mandatory but it doesn't say it is, or what they want it for. Made me *think they were being nosy to see what else they can tax us on. Crops, land, veggies, animals, etc. They wanted to know everything!

Ok, but WHY?

I've never received one, maybe we're too small. LOL

They are only after you BIG operators! :new_shocked: JK HA-HA :new_multi: :488:

Have you guys ever read a report that says, there are this many farms in this state, doing this type of operation, on this many acres? A report that may say, farms in operation are down 20% from 10 years ago. And wonder, how do they know that?

This survey is how they know that.

Yes, it does sound mandatory, but, they make it sound that way to hopefully get you to turn it in.

It helps them to know how farms are evolving, going under, developing, that type of thing.

It is a national Agriculture Survery, with only a few offices, and that is why yours says Indiana, that is one of the regional offices.

Well I figured since I was a farm business it was just more of the ordinary paperwork I deal with...........but I recieved mine and filled it out and sent it back.....and just recently got another one saying second request
default_wacko.png
:
default_unsure.png
: now I am confused as to if I should fill it out again and maybe note that I already sent one..or should I toss the second request
default_wacko.png
:

WI is one of the leading states for the animal identification program. Our farms already have to be registered. Every yr it becomes more, within a couple yrs, every animal has to be identified with a chip, I think it is, paid for by the individual, some place I read that each animal would be $150, driving the small farmer out of business as most are only hanging on by a thread now. Every time an animal dies, is born or sold, no matter where you move it to, everything has to be reported within 24 hours or some stupid thing like that. This entire thing sucks. It's one of the reason I"m selling down on my mares. I had 48 at one time, down to 21 now and want to sell down to about 12 or so. They will have it eventually so a push of the button will let them know every move a farmer makes. There's only a few states doing this so far, as backwards as WI is, I can't believe they are a leader in this crap. I read where farmers are the biggest cheats on taxes, they probably have to be to make a go at it but I think this is the reason they're doing this although I don't know for sure. They say it's to record deseased animals, yeh, right! So my guess would be that other states are following along. WI started too by trying to get peoples cooperation, then eventually demanding it or large fines are issued. I guess this is a free country!
default_wacko.png
:

We are getting these in Texas too. I think Marnie is absolutely right. It's just a way to try and find out what kind of livestock you have and how many so they can go back to office and count up all the $$ they will make by making us pay for the chips. Soon there will be a cost involved everytime you "report" the moving of the animal. To my knowlege, this has not passed in Texas yet. (We can really band together when needed), but it's looking like this will eventually pass.

So everytime you take you animal to a show, to the vet, on a trail ride for the weekend you have to call and report it. Free Country? I'm beginning to wonder! :no:

i got one to didn't read much of it but they were asking questions way beyond any of their business so i tossed it

someone told me years ago which i thought was a joke

it's a free country----------your free to do as your told!!

unfortunately its coming true and not very funny anymore
default_frusty.gif
: :no: :no:

Lori

I received it three times last year and tossed it. The fourth time

I called to find out what it was all about.

I was especially curious as there is nothing that would indicate that

I have horses. My horses are boarded out and not on my property.

Yet somehow they had me down as a horse owner. HOW?????

They said this was a preliminary census, that the official USDA survey

would be done in 2007.

The gal said that all horses would have to be accounted for from birth

to death. It was a safety issue, so if there were any emergency health

outbreaks they would know where the horses were located at all times.

If you took your horses off to a show, off on a trail ride, down the street

to visit the neighbors, anything, where there left their home pasture, a

report would have to be filed!!!!!!!!!!

Like who's going to do that bookkeeping at the USDA?????

i also kinda figured this had to do with the livestock id program they want to implement. They can call it whatever they want but you know this has something to do with it. Am I going to make it easy?? heck no. I do file taxes on my farm so I feel sure thats how they got my farm name etc.

I started receiving them in TN about 3 years ago. Being nosey I called up. I was told it was to get more tax relief for farmers - getting the correct census. Since most isn't about horses I don't answer most of it but I figure if it helps lower our taxes what the hey. In my county if you own more than 15 acres and do or have the capability to do agriculture/livestock you pay almost nothing in property tax.

Latest posts

Back