Adventures!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you!

Yes, Breezy is such a little trooper! For such a teeny tiny horse, he can move. He has always been and will probably always be my hottest horse, it is in his blood, good thing he is so small. We drive out a few miles and as soon as we head for home, watch out! He wants to haul A$$ back! We are working on that and how to be calmer once we turn around and head for home. Lucky for me, I have figured out how to handle and deal with his rearing episodes and I’m glad to report that he hasn’t reared in months. His stamina is very impressive too, I usually can’t wear him out even though sometimes I try. He is in it for the long haul which is wonderful because so am I. He is much better with his new bit too. He sometimes tries to run through it, but I am there to stop and remind him that isn’t allowed.

I have no idea how many miles are on my bike, it sure has taken a beating though….but is still holding up and going strong! It does desperately need a new paint job, if I ever slow down, ha! It is so embarrassing that I am hoping for a new paint job before I go the the National Drive this year, I am not sure if I am going in the spring or fall 🤣🤣

That is rather like the trailer I chose. Mostly open, as it is usually hot here. Mine is a half-top, however, so the shafts of my cart can be accommodated. The down side to a stock trailer vs horse trailer is the suspension. I think horse trailers have a softer ride. Not sure about that, though.

My sister and I took our horses to a nursing home yesterday. Billy wore his jingle bell surcingle and glitter boots (the residents loved his boots) and Jackie carried the saddle bags of treats. The last time we went, Billy really enjoyed himself and I was looking forward to another happy experience. This time, he was very nervous; bumping his head on me and even stomping his feet. I was a little wracked by the time we called it quits.
Jackie O was her usual calm self. She carried saddle bags full of little gifts for the residents. It was fun to see what each person chose: festive headbands, reindeer socks, candy, chips, even a toothbrush. The residents really seemed to enjoy our visit and had been looking forward to us! The man in the straw hat just loved Billy. He spent 5 minutes stroking his mane. I finally had to just walk away. The guy with the OU hat was funny; I told him Billy was an OSU fan, so he took his cap off and put it on Billy! The lady in the wheelchair with Billy and me is my mother. She is not an animal lover, but tolerated Billy briefly putting his nose on her.
Both of our horses are a little on the plump side and very furry, which makes them look extra wide. One resident asked if "they are expecting". I told her my horse was named Billy the Kid and she laughed.
Frankly, though, my sister and I did not really enjoy ourselves. It is hard work to prepare and travel. We may go again, but when an event ceases to be enjoyable it may be time to give it up. If Billy had loved it, I might think differently.

Attachments

• corn 1.jpg
    corn 1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2
  • corn 3.jpg
    corn 3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1
  • corn guy with hat.jpg
    corn guy with hat.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1
  • corn ou.jpg
    corn ou.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1
  • with mother.jpg
    with mother.jpg
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 1
I want to applaud you for visiting senior homes and sharing the joy minis bring. Your pics show how much residents enjoyed the visit. I enjoy seeing the pics also. I'm sorry it was not an easy experience for you and Billy.
I was so surprised that he did not enjoy himself. We tried to figure out. Maybe he did not like the Santa hat; I did take it off later but I'm not sure that made any difference. Jackie was very calm, or maybe stoic; but she did not seem as comfortable as usual. There were more residents this time and they sort of crowded around, which may have been part of the problem.
But I was proud of Billy that he walked among everyone and didn't bump into any wheelchairs or step on fragile feet! And neither horse made a "mess" either, which is a big +!

@Marsha Cassada, I understand. It's not always positive for them but they've given a huge gift to so many people! I'm preparing for our Christmas site visit with Jasmine next weekend - weather cooperating. It's a LOT of work in preparation and take a huge amount out of the handler facilitating the visits. Yes, it's heartwarming and a beautiful experience for those in care, but it's not something I can do that often, myself. I've found that the best visits happen when residents are able to sit around in an area in a big circle and we can move from person to person for visits. Not something that can happen on dementia units though. Anyways, thank you so much for doing what you do. I know you brought magic to a lot of people!

@Marsha Cassada, I understand. It's not always positive for them but they've given a huge gift to so many people! I'm preparing for our Christmas site visit with Jasmine next weekend - weather cooperating. It's a LOT of work in preparation and take a huge amount out of the handler facilitating the visits. Yes, it's heartwarming and a beautiful experience for those in care, but it's not something I can do that often, myself. I've found that the best visits happen when residents are able to sit around in an area in a big circle and we can move from person to person for visits. Not something that can happen on dementia units though. Anyways, thank you so much for doing what you do. I know you brought magic to a lot of people!
@Marsha Cassada, @Standards Equine,
Magic Billy and Magic Jackie❣️🤩

Thank you for sharing your photos and experience! Billy is beautiful inside and out 😍, he seems very aware of the people he is with in the photos and has a wonderful expression in the photo of the gentleman petting him.

I am sorry it was extra stressful. You worked hard to bring joy to your community and created a beautiful experience for the residents. 😇

I put an “ad” on FB looking to make and meet-up with some new friends that enjoyed camping. I had a huge response so I decided to host a ladies only meet-up group over the weekend at Parrie Haynes Ranch. We had a fantastic turn out and I think we all had a blast! I was able to take all 3 ponies along too. There were a total of 8 ladies and 5 ponies in our group.

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2650.jpeg

Great pics Marsha! Bummer Billy didn’t enjoy himself.💕maybe he would eventually get use to it 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

I was having a hard time finding mini horse owners who wanted to camp with me….i promise I use DO! 🤣🤣 I posted post after post on mini horse groups and it couldn’t find any ladies to go. So I thought, I have a herd, I really don’t need them to have horses , i would just like a few friends to go along with me. So that’s when I reached out to a ladies camping group. And that is where I found two ladies with mini horses and bikes!! All of these ladies are AWESOME! The Crazy 8!! (There were 8 of us) I really believe I just made life long friends ♥️♥️ We have already planned 2 more horse camping trips this month!!

3ponies was soooooo much easier than 2 ponies. If I bring 2 ponies then I have to pony one behind my bike when we go trail driving, I wouldn’t want to leave one alone at camp. When I brought all 3 ponies, I left two behind at camp. My new friend Karen fell in love with Stormy so she was always walking him around and hiking with him. 1 pony is easiest for me but hardest on them.

We were out trail driving while the rest of the gang went hiking.
IMG_2649.jpeg

I put an “ad” on FB looking to make and meet-up with some new friends that enjoyed camping. I had a huge response so I decided to host a ladies only meet-up group over the weekend at Parrie Haynes Ranch. We had a fantastic turn out and I think we all had a blast! I was able to take all 3 ponies along too. There were a total of 8 ladies and 5 ponies in our group.

View attachment 50936

View attachment 50937

I love the pics and video. How wonderful to make new friends. Makes me wish I lived close enough to join you all. :)

Only one horse has been clipped with a trace clip, but he always gets a blanket so he isn’t chilly. I thought about doing a trace clip on mine but I’ve heard we are supposed to have a really cold winter.

I just got home from a 3 day camping trip. Fort Richardson was a blast! The lake was beautiful and the trails were amazing!

IMG_2679.jpeg

IMG_2678.jpeg

IMG_2677.jpeg

IMG_2676.jpeg

video!

It’s been a really bust last couple of months! In November I went on 2 camping trips and in December I went on 3!! I have only 1 camping trip planned for January, hopefully the weather will hold out.
💕💕

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Latest posts

Back