A genetic marvel or what?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The foal looks to me like a palomino pinto, golden shading round the ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it not be albino (with two blue eyes and the pink skin?)?
It's actually now been proven, with the advent of genetic testing, that albinos do not exist in horses. Any 'white' appearing horse, especially those with pink skin and blue eyes, are now known to be cremellos, perlinos or maximum white overos (generally sabino or splashed white or a combination).

I dont think she is palomino /pinto.. Aren't they suppose to have some dark pigment to their skin?

babyheadclose.jpg

"The other possibility is that the foal is not Cremello/Perlino but Maximum Sabino/Splash- is the sire of the foal also Pinto??"

Ditto Jane,

I was thinking the same thing, in fact a bald face so looked back at momma to see if she had white on her face. It appears not.

B

These are weanling photos of our cremello (perlino) pinto filly that is out of a smoky black mare and a buckskin pinto sire.

Honey2.jpg

Honey with her smoky black dam. You can see her tobiano markings best in these photos.

Honey3.jpg

Honey1.jpg

In all her hairy buffalo glory :bgrin

It is most definitely possible and was quite a shock to the breeder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you CAM for sharing that info and photos.. What a lovely filly she is, and most certainly double dilute, as well as pinto... So I guess our smokey black pinto mare CAN throw a double dilute with pinto markings, when bred to a Cremello..
default_yes.gif
: I just never suspected she had any cream in her :lol:

Thanks everyone for your input! :saludando:

Margaret- that is the WHOLE point
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Smoky Black is Dilute so, added to Cremello/Perlino (the sire could be either) of course the foal could be DD

It could also be DD bred to a Palomino or a Buckskin.

This foal could also be Maximum Sabino / Splash.
default_yes.gif
:

Any color can be pinto, and if you see faints marks yes she is pinto, (try wet her down, you might see them better), rules out max sabino white too, you won´t see any pinto makings on those, cause they are completely white.

Thanks Jane, I'm getting it now...
default_rolleyes.gif
: Somehow it seemed more likely to occur if bred to a double dilute, but I suppose the odds would be the same with Palomino, or Buckskin.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

And Thanks Linda,... She does has definate Pinto markings throughout her body, cause when she was born, (and wet) we saw them clearly.- So I guess that elliminates Max- Sabino White.
default_yes.gif
:

I dont think she is palomino /pinto.. Aren't they suppose to have some dark pigment to their skin?

babyheadclose.jpg

Not necessarily at birth..often the black comes in later around the eyes and nose, and eventually the rest of the skin as palomino is a chestnut based colour.

Colagirl, These filly foal pictures are one month old.. She is as pink as she was at 1 day old.. Intresting point however,- as my last foal out of the same stallion, WAS a palomino,- with a black-based silver-bay mare. He WAS born with "pink skin and smokey blue eyes", but after a month they darkened to what you see.. This photo is him at 1 month old.

shybutt.jpg

Latest posts

Back