68 replies to this topic

#61 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

That's pretty fabric!

Have you tried the thrift stores for velvet?  That is where I get most of mine. If you need consecutive yardage, it wouldn't work, but if you can cut it into pieces, you might find some nice velvet garments.  I got a beautiful silk dress recently with embroidered flowers.  Not sure what on earth I will do with it, but I couldn't resist it. 

• chandab likes this

♥ ♥Check out the latest Lil Beginnings Featured Sale Board Ads HERE!

#62 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,174 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Quilting

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

Didn't even think of that. If I remember I'll check the thrift store one of the next times I go to town. They have tons of clothes, so perhaps I can find a little velvet dress or maybe even a pillow to repurpose.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Showy, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny
Donkey: Tilly

#63 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

I had to get my Kensignton blankets out for the boys as we had a couple of nippy nights and they are freshly clipped.  One blanket was fine and the other--all the velcro had disintegrated!  It was a mess.  I have removed all the velcro and am in the process of redoing it.  Instead of overlapping the velcro, I am sewing D rings for the velcro to go through.  I think this will give me more flexibility for size. 

Anyone else had their Kensingtons do this?  What a pain!  Why one and not the other?  I did buy them in different  years.

#64 chandab

chandab

LB Forum Elite Member!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,174 posts
  • Interests:Horses and Quilting

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:37 PM

Perhaps a bad batch of Velcro.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Showy, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny
Donkey: Tilly

#65 amysue

amysue

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Breeding miniature horses of color as well as miniature Mediterranean donkeys and Nigerian dwarf goats. Also raising india blue peafowl, super African geese, bantam cochins and mini rex rabbits. I enjoy training horses to jump and drive as well as riding hunter seat and saddleseat equitation.

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

Been working on tanning some sheep skins, goat hides and cowhide rugs. Thinking I will sell some at the local farmers market.Attached File  2017-05-14 08.21.29.jpg   84.89KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2017-05-14 08.21.09.jpg   131.57KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2017-05-14 08.20.54.jpg   164.59KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2017-05-14 08.20.29.jpg   169.08KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2017-05-14 08.27.51.jpg   208.68KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2017-05-14 08.27.37.jpg   193.9KB   0 downloads

Edited by amysue, 14 May 2017 - 07:29 AM.

• Ryan Johnson likes this

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

#66 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:24 PM

Those look really good, Amysue.  Lots of work.  I'm sure you will have a good market.  Which is the goat?

• amysue likes this

#67 amysue

amysue

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Breeding miniature horses of color as well as miniature Mediterranean donkeys and Nigerian dwarf goats. Also raising india blue peafowl, super African geese, bantam cochins and mini rex rabbits. I enjoy training horses to jump and drive as well as riding hunter seat and saddleseat equitation.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

Thank you Marsha. The goat is the one pictured above the cow hides. Spent the last two days sanding and breaking down the cow hides, they came out really soft.

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

#68 Marsha Cassada

Marsha Cassada

I'm a goner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

Thank you Marsha. The goat is the one pictured above the cow hides. Spent the last two days sanding and breaking down the cow hides, they came out really soft.

My mom has a sheepskin that she keeps on a chair.  She really likes it.  I think it must be warm and yet breathable.  I have a deerhide from son's hunting.  I tried to display it but it is too sheddy.  Still have it; maybe will have a purse or something made from it.  Do the cowhides shed?

#69 amysue

amysue

I gotta get a life...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

The hides shed for a few weeks after tanning. I vacuum them to help remove the loose hair. Once the hairs that came loose during tanning come off, they should stop shedding.
  • chandab likes this

~ AmySue

Ponies, Inc.

Canterbury, CT

www.poniesinc.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users