Vent about dog sitting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
So, let me start by saying I love my inlaws dearly, but sometimes they can get me fired up. I dont agree with how they keep their animals, but they dont tell me how to keep mine, so I generally keep my mouth shut. They have always had outside hunting dogs - beagles and coonhounds, and they arent really pets, just dogs. My father in law has no emotional attachment to the dogs, and if they get sick, if its more than $100 well he digs a hole, walks em to it, shoots em, and covers them. They dont have their animals spayed or neutered, see no point in it. Feed the cheapest dogfood possible although it gives all 4 of their dogs terrible diarrhea. Anyway, a few months back my mother in law got a house dog, he's a full grown basset hound, and he's a pretty mellow guy. Just really cool little dog. Now, my mother in law is attached to buddy, but dosent listen to a thing anyone tells her about keeping house pets. Her dog has problems if left alone unattended in the house, and I suggested crating him when not home. OH NO, I WOULD NEVER CRATE MY DOG, THATS CRUEL. Well, she was putting him in their garage, and one day Buddy decided to knock everything off of the shelves that line the walls of their 3 car garage, chew the power cords to their 2 chest freezers, chew many of my father in laws expencive power tools, and chewed the seat off of his new quad. My mother in law called me that night cryung that buddy had to find a new home because my father in law was going to shoot him. My father in law hung up on my husband, and long story short, we got him calmed down, and offered to let them use one of my crates that arent in use for buddy when they aren't home. The conditions were that they could use it as long as they needed to for buddy, as long as they took care of it. It's an older crate, I've probably had it for about 9 or 10 years, It was my late german shepherds as a puppy until she outgrew it and moved up to her huge crate. Anyway, it was still in excellent shape when I took it over to them.

Last night my mother in law called and asked if we could stay at her house and watch the dogs for the weekend because they are going away. Well, I was a little upset she didnt call sooner, because I am busy all this weekend. My sister is coming in from out of town to help me paint, I have some stuff to get done with the horses, and sunday we are going on our bi weekly search for her dog thats been missing for just over a month. (thats another story, but we know someone picked the dog up, she was housesitting for my father, and the neighbor told her someone knocked on their door, but they didnt know that dog belonged there, as they never saw it before)

anyway, my husband said that we would go over there twice a day to let the dog out and walk him and feed him, and midday we would have my brother in law let the dog out, he lives about 5 minutes from my inlaws, we live about 40 minutes away. Mother in law said ok, but told father in law we were staying there.

Anyway, today my father in law called flipping out that we weren't staying there all weekend, and said not to bother with the dog, and to put him up in the pen with their coonhound or the beagles. Well, either would seriously injury buddy, he's very timid with other dogs, and the other dogs are known to be agressive, not to mention they have never even seen each other.

I arranged it that Buddy could come over here for the weekend so I can keep an eye on him. My husband went to pick buddy up, and they were fresh out of dog food. Gee, how convenient. Not only that, they put buddy on their front porch, in his crate, in a thunder and lightening storm. The neighbor kids brought my young brother in law (12) some brownies, and since he wasnt home, and the dog was on the porch, they fed the brownies to buddy. My husband walked over and had a talk with their dad, and they were in some trouble. My inlaws were informed, so If he gets sick, im not to blame. When hubby got home he set up the crate, and I was ..... irate. The nice crate I lent them is now ruined, the entire pan is rusted and crusty with feces. Now, their dog is both housebroke and crate trained, however the dont take him out to potty before they leave him in there, then leave for 10 hours, and he just cant hold it that long. I tried to explain to them 8hrs max, and walked to potty before and after crated. It just dosent sink in.
default_deadhorse2.gif

The only store around here open in the evening was walmart, so we stopped there to get buddy some food (please note, our dogs eat either canidae, or nutro depending on the dog and its issues) anyway, I know my mother in law feeds buddy Alpo dogfood (which I told her is why he poops like an elephant, his hair dosent shine, and he sheds everywhere despite being brushed and bathed regularly)

Anyway, we get to walmart, and they dont carry alpo. Great, now I'm dog sitting and I have to abruptly change Buddys food. Now I get to clean even worse diarrhea all weekend. I ended up getting him the best (and I say that word loosely) dog food walmart sells. Rachael Ray something. I figured at least the first 2 ingredients were meat, and then rice. Figured it would be less likely to make buddy sick. Anyway, we got that and some 100% canned pumpkin to mix in it, to help with the diarrhea I expect him to have.

Well I guess this is the end of my long vent, I feel a lot better though.

OMG. Words can't express how I feel for you. I have been in situations similar to some of yours.
default_new_argue.gif
it's like talking to a wall, except a wall would understand more. All I can say is, God give you strength. And, big hugs from me!

I feel for your frustration. It is really difficult to deal with people that still look at animals like objects and not living breathing fellow creatures. I am so sorry for your irritating situation and all I can say is I hope you can make the best of it. I would suggest digging a whole and taking your in laws out it, but that might be illegal.

People suck.
default_no.gif

I would mix some plain canned pumpkin in with Buddy's food to help with the runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been mixing the canned pumpkin in. I cant put a full tablespoon though like I would like to give him, he refuses to eat it if I put too much in.

You might try fasting him for a meal or two, then, if he is otherwise healthy. Offer him the food with plenty of pumpkin mixed in it for 15 minutes and if he doesn't eat it, oh well! Put it in the fridge to try again next meal time. You could even try pumpkin + a little broth to make it more tempting. A little fasting may also help clear up his system...

OY Bananas ! I tell ya some people make you want to pull your hair out and why

does it always seem to be the INLAWS ! lol

My inlaws have two dogs outside in a "pen" a yellow lab and a cockerspaniel

well they are both way fat ! they feed them the left overs and a ton of crappy dog food !

and they rarely get turned out to get excersise ! and the cocker used to be the house dog

that is until the Snauschers ( sp) came along ! those 2dogs are spoiled rotten

they are well cared for groomed every week and if one gets sick they will spend a fortune to

make sure its okay they dont get any scraps and get that science diet food ( YUCK IMHO)

I feed my dogs Natures Recipe - I would feed taste of the wild but its so expensive here and

natures recipe is the next best i can get and afford - way better than Ol ROY LOL

My dogs are all kennel trained and I do that the right way they potty before they go in and

asap when they are let out and I used to have show dogs that pretty much stayed in the kennels

and the pups when i was training them they had a schedule until they learned the crate well

the dogs I have now sleep in there crates and go in when we leave in the summer when its hot

or when its real cold in the winter.

Some people will never understand that if done correctly that the dog will feel safe in the crate

its their den and all my dogs will just go in and go to sleep when they are inside.

For your sake I sure hope that you can talk to your mother in law and get her to understand

what it takes to properly care for that basset they need special care my best friend has 2

and I sure hope that the next time you have to watch the dogs for your inlaws that its not that

much of a nightmare !

Want some advice....

Back out of your inlaws lives - totally. You don't need that drama going on. They are using you and you are enabling them to do it by giving in when they whine.

Your weekend is as important as theirs. Next time say "NO". You don't have to go into how they drive you batty
default_rolleyes.gif
you don't owe them any explanation other than "so sorry I have plans".

What they do and how they treat their dogs isn't your responsibility no matter how sad it is.

If the wife lies to the husband then they obviously have some very serious other issues too. If he is so willing to kill a dog - and rants when he doesn't get his own way - bet he has other serious issues also.

Be nice, be caring but lay the law down for yourself.

default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It always amazes me that the most wonderful people I know have been bred by animal idiots! Me included.

You get cudos from me for being a good animal person!

Here's an idea, next time they get sick, start digging a hole
default_new_rofl.gif

Latest posts

Back