Yuck, aphids on honeysuckle bush

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
I've always wanted a nice, large honeysuckle to enjoy, and it's been getting pretty big and providing me with a lot of enjoyment the past few years.

BUT! This year, it seemed to falter when it should have been very large. I looked and the blossoms are covered in aphids. How do I get rid of them (the less toxic to everyone, the better, I really avoid pesticides and herbicides as much as possible)?

I'd love some ideas. I did look it up and couldn't find anything that would really help me since the bush is about 12' tall and fairly large in circumference. It is growing on my back patio up one of the supports for the covered area. The hummingbirds are bummed that the blooms are barely able to open due to the load of aphids. I do know the ladybugs like them....but I think this job is beyond that scope.

Probably need a quick knockdown before I let the ladybugs go.

Liz M.

Ok....

Non toxic ways to get rid of aphids.
default_yes.gif
:

First strong water spray on the underside of the leaves very other day for a week and once a week after that.

And or a soap insect spray...will have to ask hubby about the recipe or you can buy ready made at the store.

Read the labels some are not really organic.

Last is Duck tape... yup kid you not.

Wrap duck tape sticky side up around your hand and pat the underside of the leaves and stems where the aphids are.

Then of course your lady bugs, lace wings and praying mantis will help keep any future out breaks down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Shari!

I will try some of that and see if I can at least get the population controlled as well as get some ladybugs to turn loose on this horde.

Liz

Latest posts

Back