Your opinion on if this pasture is okay for a mare who had laminitis...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
Remember when Rosie had a laminitis episode last spring? She is doing fabulously. The farrier said on his last visit she has a nice cup to her hoof now and he gave her a thumbs up and said to keep doing what I'm doing. Well, in winter, it's easy. I've not had all the pastures open all day, but with snow, 3/5 have been open. Once the snow melted, I started scrutinizing the ground for Rosie's sake. If I saw green, she didn't go on. My dilemma right now is the pasture they are confined to is big enough for a good run, but it's so danged muddy (farrier said that's great for their hooves). So, I decided to let them try half of the front pasture today. My farrier also said to watch that she isn't eating constantly--not coming up for air--but dang, she does that on dead stuff. So after I finished morning chores, I pulled her off. I left Mazie and Tucker on to hopefully eat anything Rosie shouldn't have. Then, after lunch, I let Rosie and the mares back on and Rosie doesn't come up for air again. I watch her from my quilting room window. So, after an hour, I once again pulled her off.

Studying pastures and determining if it's safe for Rosie to be on them is making me crazy, so I'd like more opinions. I know if I want to play it 100% safe, she has to stay in mud (well, there's a cement pad and a lovely barn for her to be in). But, it's always important to me my horses have room to roam. We will be Rounding-Up this whole front pasture this spring, so they'll all have more room for the summer. But, for now... keep her off this? Or is it okay?

003.jpg

004-2.jpg

Most looks like this---

006.jpg

There are a few spots that have this much green. Dang! Isn't it too short to to be harmful??

005-1.jpg

Oh yes--all my horses have them now. But, they are very frustrating for her until she gets used to it again. No one will be on spring grass. And no one will ever be on grass for more than a few hours--and that's just the others. Rosie won't even be on grass with a muzzle--we tried that last year after her first episode, and she had another with use of a muzzle.

It was in the 50s one day last week, so everyone was off just in case there was growth, but today it's 35.

I don't think that I would risk it without a muzzle on her. It looks like they wouldn't even be able to grab grass that short but it's amazing what they manage, and since she's trying every minute she's out there she's surely getting grass. This time of year it grows so fast too.

You're such a good mama to be so careful!
default_aktion033.gif

You're right, Magic. That's what I'm hearing from my emails too. I really thought that was grass from last year, but I guess it's new grass. I definitely do not want her on that. Sigh... I just want her to to always be content. But, hooves come first. Poor girl. I'll pamper her with more walks and extra hay to nibble.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back