Your maidens........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
Do you guys let your maidens (due within 2 weeks) out with the others during the day?

Thanks.

Yes - all mine preggers are out during the day (have Breeder Alert on when close) and then also when close as far as progression they go under cameras at night.

All mine stay together in one big happy family unit.

That's until I pull a pregnant mare off the fescue grass and have to separate due to that.

That was pretty sad because Holly missed her buddies so I rotated a different buddy to stay with her in the dry lot so she wouldn't be so alone.

We put all of our late term mares together in the pasture off the barn, maiden or not. We can watch them and check them for physical signs easier that way. Then, they get put under camera as their signs develop.

MA

Mine generally stay together in the pasture during the day, maiden or not. As the mares' get closer to foaling, generally going by udder development here, I will keep them in the lot around the barn during the day so I can keep a closer watch on them. They are under the camera at night normally from the time they start bagging up until they foal.

I always put mine out with the herd until they foal.
default_yes.gif
: The exercise & grass is good for them. Anyway...most of the time they will foal at night while in their stalls. (Mine are always stalled at night). But Tiger (not a maiden) pulled a fast one on me & popped out Apache no more than a 1/2 hour after I let them all out into the pasture one morning! :new_shocked: Thank God she didn't have any problems, cuz I didn't notice anything until I looked out & saw an extra head sticking up next to where tiger was standing! I remember my heart felt like it was pounding out of my chest while running out to see!
default_yes.gif
:

f35a02ad.jpg

Latest posts

Back