Your Goat people

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Ok Sabrina had her 3 goats, little runt Einstein was being bottle fed, thought the other two where eating.

Now Einstein eating and Female Angelina doing great, but middle guy Zorro never see him eating, started bottle feeding him, how long can they go without eating? Just wondered if he is eating or not, always see Zorro laying down, not as active as other two. So just bottle feeding mom's milk with him, 1 oz every 6 hours. Have not seen him suck on Mom while I am out there.... :eek:

Other two are on Mom now, see them two eating and running and playing. They where born Thursday May 24th.

Have owned pygmies but never bred them.........so no expert obviously.......

Just was wondering if your middle guy seems hungry when you bottle feed him?

To stimulate his appetite, you could try putting some kayro on you finger and stick it in his mouth. Hopefully someone with goat kidding experience will pop in.

MA

Have owned pygmies but never bred them.........so no expert obviously.......

Just was wondering if your middle guy seems hungry when you bottle feed him?

To stimulate his appetite, you could try putting some kayro on you finger and stick it in his mouth. Hopefully someone with goat kidding experience will pop in.

MA

Zorro is not really sucking the bottle seems to chew it, and I try and try and try to get him on Mom he seems to chew and bite her and than she walks.

What tips can you give me to get him on his mom, I am getting worn out.
default_wacko.png
:

Could he constipated?

He could be hungry, eat, but his tummy hurts cuz he hasn't pooped? (If he IS pooping, you at least know he's eating!)

You might need a goat vet to check him.

MA

Have seen mom licking and yes poop there? colour cream pepples not black like mom,

you asked? Keep thinking need some help. Our vet here believes a down goat is a dead goat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still swearing by needing to bottle feed one.

OUrs get bottles 4 times a day.

morning, noon, night and bed time.

I am still swearing by needing to bottle feed one.

OUrs get bottles 4 times a day.

morning, noon, night and bed time.
Oh Ashley not what I wanted to hear, I have been bottle feeding, but was hoping to get him on Mom.

Like I did with the runt, Eienstein is doing GREAT NOW

She has lots of milk, too much can hardly lay down, I guess because we are milking her for Zorro.

I guess we are out of luck and have to bottle feed? Hard to milk her so will have to go to Lamb replacer.
default_wacko.png
:

Well not sure if I like this but at least only every 6 hours.
default_wink.png
:

If any other suggestions feel free to add. Waiting for an easy way out.

It sounds like he's having a hard time grasping the concept of sucking and isn't aggressive enough over the other 2. I had this same problem with one of my babies. She just couldn't figure out how to suck. So we started bottle feeding her. We poked a bigger hole in the nipple and then forced the bottle in her mouth. Then we started taking the bottle and moving it in an out of her mouth. Doing that made her get a feel for the sucking motion. We fed her every hour, normally they only take in about an ounce or two. Until they start growing they will take in more.

You can get nipples that twist on to pop bottles. They work best. I would not poke a bigger hole in it as that can cause choke.

I know this is going to sound crazy. Please don't eat me up.........

I had a young llama once. He was orphaned......I raised him. He did not want to suck. I talked to

an "old timer" and he said use some syrup. OK.....I would try that. I put the pancake syrup on my

finger and got him sucking on my finger. That got his glucose level up and made him feel a little better

and from there I went to a bottle and eventually was able to get him eating properly.

So, if he feels up to sucking aggressively on your finger to get the sweet syrup try to transfer that to the

nipple of the bottle or on the does teats. Worth a shot if you feel out of options.

I have also used this techniques on bottle calves. They can lose strength simply because they need

to feed frequently but do not always have the strength to suck so you have to help them along. Iwould

also feed applesauce and instant oats as they got a little older. The natural sugars in the applesauce

gave them the boost to get going and then they could feed more normally.

I would suggest using Karo syrup......the light stuff seems to cause less bowel problems but when in a

emergency I have used both pancake syrup and even jam to get them up. I never lost a bottle calf.

I am not saying this will work and just sharing my experiences.

Baby pedilyte is also good for getting them up on their feet again. Seems to give them more energy.

I have never forced fed one but if you can get some natural sugar in them it really seems to work wonders.

I have had them so unsteady it would break your heart that have came back healthy and strong.

I know this sounds like a crazy idea but it has worked for me. Good luck....please keep us posted.

You can get nipples that twist on to pop bottles. They work best. I would not poke a bigger hole in it as that can cause choke.
I've done this time and time again. You don't poke a huge hole, just make the existing one slightly bigger, enough so that the milk has no option but to come out. Once the kid feels the milk going down into his mouth he will swallow. He's just not understanding the concept of sucking. I had a small doe, do the same thing, she would just naw on her mothers teets, while her brother latched on. Mama got tired and would walk away, so baby wouldn't get anything. So I had to jump in. I had to teach her how to be aggressive and to suck. Which worked with my technique. As well I've taken in a friends pre mature babies, bottle fed them, when they weren't ready.

Using a baby bottle and made the x a little bigger.

Still chewing but sucking also, he does have energy now, but wish I did not have to bottle feed.

Keep watching and hoping he will suck on mommy, but goes to her front chest and butt his head on her.

I stopped trying to help him get on mom because he bites. She does not want anything to do with him.

How long do you have to bottle feed them, and do you have a small chart I can follow.

6 Days Old:

Feeding schedule: 1.5 oz. to sometimes 2 oz. every 6 hours. he weighs 3.5 Lbs.

you should bottle feed at lest 2 months. We mixed up a pop bottle full and let them drink as much as they want 4 times a day. It wont be long before they drink i all up.

you should bottle feed at lest 2 months. We mixed up a pop bottle full and let them drink as much as they want 4 times a day. It wont be long before they drink i all up.
Ashley, hubby tells me not too warm it up and put it back in the fridge. I just warm it up in a dish of hot water. Can the milk which he does not drink be put back in fridge for next feeding? I have been ditching it. This is milk from Mom

Thanks

I would think it would be ok for a few feedings. We use powder so dont know. But yes dont microwave it, warm it in water.

Latest posts

Back