Yet another Pitt Bull attack...on a toddler!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairytailGlennMinis

Reaction score
The news in Durham NC is reporting on a case of a 3 year old girl being maulted on the head and face by her family's own pitt. The report says the mother was in the house and it was a neighbor that saw and saved the child's life. The dog will be put down. The report says that the family owns at least 2 pitt bulls. When oh when oh when are people going to pay attention to their animals AND children??? This never should have been allowed to happen. People are so irresponsible!!! :no:

That's so sad. I hope the toddler will be ok and is young enough to not have any emotional scars from this.

Here in our small town, we have a huge supply of police officers but NO animal control officer. Last year, just down the road from the school, a lady was riding in her car with the window down, arm out just a little (speed limit is 20 mph right there) and a pitt bull ran up and grabbed her arm and tried to pull her out of the car :new_shocked: Our worthless police chief had the owner restrain his dog and hired an animal control officer. There were never any charges brought up with the dog running loose in town. Now that we have animal control, if you're going to get bit by a dog, do it on Tuesday between 8-10 AM because that's the ONLY time he works.

I know what you are saying, my daughter lives in a little country village, but houses are still close together,

she has her 2 dogs a mini dachshund and lab fenced in, but her neighbours dog runs free.

Neighbour told my daughter she moved there because she loves her dog and wants her to be free not have to be tied up.

Of course their dog keeps coming on their property doing her duty, and getting my daughters dogs barking.

The dog catcher has been told too many times and they wait for him to leave than they let her out again.

Yes, they have tried catching her and would hope to call the guy back. No such luck, we expect the love of her dog will someday be dead on the road.

People that say they care :new_shocked:

Neighbour told my daughter she moved there because she loves her dog and wants her to be free not have to be tied up
If you don't want to tie your dog you don't move to the country, you move to a house with a fenced back yard! Or save yourself the hassle of moving and put up a darn fence. Some people just don't get it do they? :eek:

And as to the 3 yeard old whose neighbor saw the dog attack, are you telling me a 3 year old was outside unattended, not to mention with a dog? Again, some people just don't get it do they? :no:

That's a new one on me!!

My Dobes are not running free and they are not tied up either.

Some people just are not fit to own dogs.

A child was killed a little while ago, over here- by a family dog that was at first reported to be a Staff- then the media took over and it magically became a pitbull!!

We have to be very careful that we do not start a witch hunt, here.

It is the owner , not the dog, and certainly not the breed, that is to blame.

Some Pitbulls make great family pets- some do not.

ALL dogs benefit from training.

It is the owner , not the dog, and certainly not the breed, that is to blame.

ALL dogs benefit from training.
:aktion033: I have a border collie/golden retriever mix who is as sweet as can be with my whole family. I never EVER leave her alone with my 5 year old daughter. And it's not because I don't trust the dog
default_wink.png
:

This is a case where the OWNER/Parent is to blame! The dog was tied out and the mother was inside the house according to the report. The animal control officer who is addressing this said there were also two other family pet attacks in the past week--a beagle and a cocker spaniel. Being that the pitt was so big and the child was unattended...well there is the very, very sad story. When are parents and animal owners going to start being responsible? :no:

-Amy

[SIZE=14pt]You never hear about the family Cocker tearing up anyone..... I have seen some NASTY ones. You just BREATH attack and people think Pitt Rott Doby..... just not fair. I have been bit more times by the Weiner dogs and Chi Chis to count.......[/SIZE]

April

Several years ago a friend of ours son was attacked by his neighbors pitbull. The boy was playing ball on the opposite side of his own house from the neighbors. The dog came tearing over around the house and straight for the boy. His dad was right there and took him several minutes to separate the dog from his sons face. The boy still has very severe scars after numerous surgeries. The dogs owner said in court the boy must have initiated the attack as the pitbull was a perfect family pet. The D. A. found several people to testify that the dog was only kept by the owners as they thought "it was cool to have the nastiest dog around"!

judge said "put him down!". They only put down the dog! What about the owner??

Hope the child is ok

Mark

Several years ago my friend was ripped to pieces by her own two, well loved family pets.

They were COCKER SPANIELS.

She was hospitalized and need God alone knows how many stitches in her arm.

The attack was unprovoked- totally unprovoked.

I had the dogs (separately) for assessment.

I recommended euthanasia for the smaller dog but the owner would not do it so her Mother took him on.

I saw him regularly in his new home where he attempted to eat the postman and anyone else he could reach- I really do believe the other dog was just joining in.

I had told them form the start it was just a matter of time- this time it was mainly the breeder who was to blamer.

Two solid Black Cockers form the same litter into a household with no previous dog of their own.

She should have been shot.

The small dog was still growing and grumbling and attempting to bite people at random until his death.

The bigger dog was fine, even with the new baby, although obviously they were very careful.

Wasn't it a cocker spaniel that mauled it's adult owner's face a while back. I believe she ended up being the first face transplant patient.

My parents had a cocker who was a defiant little guy. He did bite them a couple times - when my Mom was bathing him or they tried to make him do something he didn't want to, but he never bit a stranger. It was ultimately my parents fault as they let him get away with murder and my father refused to have him castrated. He was a cute little dog, but definately needed some training, but my Dad loved him beyond belief.

I received 32 stitches in the neck as a child from a........BASSET HOUND!! Of course that was not in the papers either. The dog was not antagonized or encouraged in any way. He was tied in the neighbor's back yard. We were quietly playing a board game on the picnic table in the side yard about 800 ft away from the dog.

I also had my upper lip shredded by one of my own dogs (my first ACD jumped up and bit me out of the blue), but we discovered after a necropsy that he'd developed brain tumors (he had been acting strangely but testing kept coming back with no answers). The dog was normal, friendly and never hurt a hair on anyone in all of his 8 years before then.

The pitts that come in to our clinic are the sweetest dogs around. The biters have so far been Labs, chihuahuas, yorkies and jack russels. Of course it's never big news when these breeds bite.

I've just remembered something that is a little lighter hearted.

I was dog sitting a friends Corgi and he had a little "accident"- ie he attacked my Dobe once too often and got picked up and flung- you know Corgis- long story short we ended up in the Vets with a sore shoulder- as he was not mine I did not want to risk it being serious.

As soon as I got in the door my Vet, a sensible dog breeding woman, started throwing treats at the Corgi from a great distance- about as far away as she could get, in fact.

When I told her to stop being silly, she showed NO fear of my Dobes she replied

"No, but then I've never been bitten by a Dobe!!!"
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I do have to agree that aggression should NEVER be tolerated in ANY breed of dog, whether large or small.

If you can't have people into your home without locking up your dog, that, IMO, is a problem. Sure, if it's a tiny dog there is little chance a person will be mauled or killed, but biting isn't acceptable behavior in any size or breed of dog.

I do hope that the toddler is going to be ok.

A pit bull did this? Hmm. I thought it was cocker spaniels that were so vicious.

I didn't read the entire report about what took place, just the first post in this thread. Let's get real here. How many of us have left our children outside with the loving family dog while we stepped inside for a minute? I do agree that an owner is responsible for their animals, but we have to be realistic, too. At some point I think we have to admit that these dogs are dangerous. Not every single one of them, as I know that many of you here have the best pit bull(s) in the world, but some ARE dangerous. Obviously the one in this report was one of them.

And maybe it doesn't make the news when a cocker or lab or something bites someone because maybe it doesn't happen all that often. And there's a heck of a big difference between being bit and being mauled!!

I was one that for years always stated that there are good pits and bad pits. I am now thinking that Pits just have that switch, they can be great and sweet and that switch may never flip. But if it does......... :no:

Too bad about the child. People can just be so **$&^ ignorant. Love the quote about moving to the country so the dog can run free. That is what people here claim. I think its because they are too dense to train their dogs and its better for them for the dog to run loose and bark, so long as they dont bark in their own yard.

While I don't hate the breed, I have had some really bad experiences with them, and everytime something bad happens around here, it's always a pit bull behind it. But then again, I live an hour and a half away from Los Angeles, and it's "cool" to have a pit bull to show off.

My neighbor breeds them, and he used to allow them to roam the streets, until his German shepard got hit by a car. The pits are always nasty mean dogs, while the german shephard didn't show aggression or threaten people. I witnessed the male pit kill a cat, and then carry his trophy home.

A few years back, a 10 year old boy named Cash Carsen (who lived about 10 minutes from my house) was mauled to death by a pit bull and a pit mix. They attacked him right infront of his best friend, who was fortunate enough to jump into a tree for safety, or he probably would have been killed as well. Both boys happened to be walking past the dogs yard, when the dogs attacked.

In 1989, my neighbor's horse Cody was attacked by two pit bulls when Mr Rivera was riding him. Cody threw Mr Rivera off, and took the blunt of their trauma. His stomach and neck was ripped open and he was lucky enough that time, money and stitches was able to heal him. Then in the early 90's, another neighbor was threatened by two pit bulls that had ventured into his yard. Bad decision on their part, as he is a sheriff, and shot them both.

I read the article that says that Pit Bulls have the same jaws as every other breed. I'm sorry but I strongly disagree, as will everyone who has personally been around the breed. My dog, is 1/5th pit bull, but he resembles a terrier/poodle mix. When he was a year old, we took him to get his shots, and the guy who was giving the shots asked us what breed of dog he was. We told him that he was a mutt, because we didn't want to own up to having a pit mix. He took one look at my dog and said "He has pit in him, you can tell by his jaw." He hadn't spent more than 2 minutes with him, and yet he knew that he had the pit. And I know that my vet HATES when people bring in Pit Bulls to his office. They are a liability waiting to happen, as he puts it.

I do believe that a lot of pit bulls are very loving, loyal dogs. However, I don't think I could ever be able to "chance" having one around a child or my pets. Even after years of being good, it only takes one time for them to snap, for someone or something to die. I would much rather have someone I love attacked by a dog that bites numberous times, than a dog that grabs ahold, and shakes his victim violently.

It is the OWNER not the breed that is at fault in ALL these cases.

Singling out the breed will lead to breed persecution but it will do NOTHING to solving the problem.

People will be happy to believe whatever they are told and to jump on any "Ban the Breed" bandwagon, so long as it is not THEIR breed that is being banned.

If you ban the breed it will NOT stop the attacks- believe I know what I am talking about Pitbulls have been banned by law over here for a number of years.

Has it made any difference??

None because the people who are responsible and breed Pitbulls, still do.

The druggies and criminals that used to use them have moved on to other cross breeds.

And if there is a dog related death, as there was a month ago, it starts off as a Staffie and very quickly, miraculously, turns into a pitbull!!

I have seen far more nasty Staffs- seriously nasty- than I have ever seen nasty Pitbulls.

Mainly because the Pitbulls were all well trained and the staffies were out of control hyperactive, ill bred dogs!!!

Make the owners legally responsible for the actions of the dogs and all the problems that do not go away will be punishable by law.

Go after the breed and, after you have caused the death and dumping of hundreds of innocent dogs, you will still have the problem.

And it will be YOUR breed they come for next.

PETA just LOVES laws that target specific breeds- they finance them, it is their "foot in the door"

How long form the banning of specific breeds to the banning of dogs as pets???

I think that some lines of dogs are just bred for that agression and this is one of them. I have to agree with Jane that banning the dog isn't the answer/ Making owners legally and financially responsible IS the answer. If people have to answer for leaving their dogs loose and not training them when something goes bad then they might just think twice!

Latest posts

Back