Won't trot in the show arena....HELP !!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beth B.

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Beth, I live in Texas and I am new to this forum. It's hard to find alot of stuff about mini donkeys. I own 4 mini donkeys, all under the age of 2 years and all soon to be gelded.

I am totally new to showing donkeys in halter. I have shown 2 donkeys for my breeder two times and have shown the donkey I have a question about once.

His name is "Cotton" and he is 1 year 5 months old. I have shown him once, last year in the jack foal class and he wouldn't trot. He didn't place in that show. I kinda let him get away with not trotting because he was only about 8 months old and that was his first show, but atleast he stood pretty. Anyway, he was just shown this week in San Antonio by his breeder because I couldn't make it there. We had been working on trotting at home and he was doing great, every time I asked him to trot he would do it. Well, he wouldn't trot at this show either. So, I was wondering if anyone had some tips on training him to trot on command better. I plan on going to a local horse arena and practicing there, hoping that will help. I only have 3 weeks left to work out the kinks before the next big show, which is the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, YIKES !!!! Also, what can I do better as his handler presenting him in the show arena, I very new to this, so any help is greatly aprreciated.

Thanks,

Beth

Sounds like he is doing his donkey thing...either being to nosey taking in the sights and sounds or just plain uncomfortable in the situation...

I don't show my girls but I do know that if something is new to them they will just balk before they figure it out...once they have experienced something then they are fine with it...whether it be something like a piece of equipment going across the fiels or a rabbit in the yard...once they are feeling OK about it no more balking issues....

I think in this situation, experiencing the shows will make him more comfortable and in time make him a willing competitor...just remember that donkeys are donkeys and if something upsets them or gets their attention...not much is going to make them move

Hi Beth and WELCOME to the forum from Wisconsin. We would love to see some pictures of your donkeys. I have mini horses, and mini donkeys. I also raise hinnys and have a zedonk. I have had problems getting my donkeys to trot also on command, but with alot of work and practice they now do. (I also had a handful of treats to BRIBE them along into trotting..lol, but it worked!!) I dont show, but I know Minimule does so hopefully she will jump on and try to help you out. Corinne

Latest posts

Back