WNV--Do you vaccinate for it?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Do you vaccinate your donkeys and mules for it?? I have been talking to my vet about starting it, I have always done it in the big horses, but not in my minis horses or donkeys. Mosquitos are starting to come out and with all the rain are alot worse this year. Just wanting to know about it's use on the mini donkeys. We just did spring shots all day yesterday on everyone, including our goats. I know the donkeys won't be very happy with me if I add another shot!haha I have a couple that really hate needles, and let me tell you they are Very STRONG & can put up one HECK OF A FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

:no: They sure can put up a fight. Bunny broke a needle off once :no:

I vacinnated them once with the WN ...they had no reaction what so ever.

I haven't done it since because we don't have mosquitos here. Maybe that is a lame excuse but we don't have them and to the best of my knowledge that is how it is passed?

I did one year when it first came out and have never done it again. No bad reactions but I did have a LONG indepth talk to a vet about it :no: and I deceided against it after that. I do know of breeders who vaccinated mares for it and had nothing but bad births the year it was given, and those same mares always had very easy deliveries, and the foals were fine. They never could pin point it was the shot, but it really seemd odd, (email me, or call me if you want more details :bgrin I guess the WNV shot is really how a person feels about doing it. The mighty minis are mighty strong when it comes to putting up a fight about shots ....and some with wormings too :eek: :no: [SIZE=12pt]TERI, NO MOSQUITOES??? I'm moving by you...I swear they named this town Pound, because the mosquitoes weight a lb each! :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: [/SIZE]Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, I give the WNV vaccine to all mine and have since it came out. So far no problems at all. Rather have a little more protection, as I have seen what can happen in other peoples equines when the horses/donkeys are not given the vaccine.

WN is not a nice disease.

I vaccinated everyone for WN. I also did the 5 way at the same time. Only one who had a problem was Libby's show pony. Boy, she scared the heck out of me. She was barely able to stand, and just shaking, off her feed, etc... The vet came back out and gave her banamine and antihistimine and she seemed to come out of it within hours. We're not sure if it was the 5 way or the West Nile though. My vet too, said that sometimes he thinks we vaccinate/booster too much. He said they follow the science and science says every year, but that some immunologists will say that is too frequent.

we do and have since it started... in fact this is a timely reminder, i need to get those shots ordered... have not had any problems so far. one thing about shots we were told is do not give more than one at a time... separate them by a few days so that if there IS a reaction, you know WHAT they are reacting to... however now that they have the combo shots, we do that so they only get one needle...

Latest posts

Back