with summer on its way heres some tips from my barn to yours

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Dan

Reaction score
Ok guys, with summers on its way, we all know how inprotant it is keeping our animals cool right?? Well with llamas and alapcas, this is IMPERITIVE. I know some on here have llamas as pets, gaurd animals, rescues, breeders, etc, or the same for the llama cousin the alpaca. Well I fall into the trainer shower category, and working with and caring for 20+ llamas for years, I've learned quite a few things on how to keep your animals not only healthy, but happy.

-the first thing you can do is shear your animal. Unshorn animals is the equivalent of you wearing 10 sweaters in 80 degree weather, and wetting down unshorn animals can actually trap heat. A full cut (back, flanks, neck, barrel, etc.) Is the easiest and coolest option, followed by a barrel cut Lback and sides) or circulation cut which should only be used on animals with a light wool coat(only areas where heat is maostly trapped). even thos shearing can be a pain its the kindest thing you can do for your furry freinds

-once you get your animals shorn you can get some cheap kiddy pools which your animals will love as they will lay in it to cool their bellys, or just cool their feet off.

-fans are a must as well as cool fresh water as well as gatorade or other electrolyte type substance to keep them hydrated.

-shade is also a given, weather its a side of the barn that casts a shadow all day or a stand of tall trees will also aid in cooling your animals.

PLEASE try your best to keep your llamas and alpacas cool this summer as there life depends on it (literally heat stress is the number one llama killer in the summer) and if anysigns such as flaring of the nostrils, open motuhed breathing, depression, or off beahvior IMMEDIATLEY call your vet. If anyone ever has a question about anything pm me and if I don't have the answer I have a whole group of llama advisors to answer promptly. Dan and many soon to be shorn llamas
default_smile.png

Dan,

Thank you for this very well timed post......Warm weather is beginning to hit parts of the country and many farms/ranches use Llamas (more than Alpacas) as guard animals. (We happen to have five llamas.)

And interestingly, as I was reading your post, an old friend of my husband's called and asked if he would help him this weekend with the "rounding up of the llamas AND alpacas" for the local shearer. LOL!!!

Ma---

Ahh yes MiniV, caked in llama spit is my favorite past time (wrong) lol. And erika tommorow is our farms shearing day so I will deffinatley gtepix of everyone as well the shearing process. Llamas are my favorite animals next to horses they act like cats but love you like horses. Dan. Keeping my finger crossed for some good pix. And for all you mini fanatics-mini llamas are on the rise in popularity- have one myself cute as a button and size to boot. Dan.

For beat you both to it.... I shore my 2 alpacas and llama on tuesday and Wed. and then put the kiddy pool out, they were very happy. I hate putting the pools out before they are shorn, the fleece just gets wrecked.

Hope shearing goes well for the rest of you.

Ruth just got finished shearing our llama. He now seems much happier, especially since it is supposed to be 90 degrees tomorrow.

Yep shearing day was pretty good, got a few pix on my phone I need to transfer over including one of my favorite llama (felicity) and I call her my micro mini, barely at my waste and she's about 9 lol. And surprisingley not too much spit or screaming, just a lot of annoyance and arguments between our shearer and vet (imo, they were seeing who was more masculine)dan.

Would LOVE to see your photos of your MINI llamas!

Two of our five llamas were given to us as youngsters because the breeders thought they were going to be small and they didn't want small! They ended up maturing to normal height and have popped out a couple of normal sized "Appy" crias - one boy and one girl.

They've been excellent guards for us.

Lol mini v I took new pix yesterday so I should get them posted by tommorow their dolls, a lot easier to handle, about the size of an alpaca there's a few breeders I know of in case you ever feel the need for a mini llama or five lol.

Latest posts

Back