Winter hair and heat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came home and found my two guys looking as though they had worked hard all day. Both were covered with dried matted sweat. I suppose they got sweaty then rolled in the dirt. I had been reluctant to clip because of the mosquitoes, but decided to clip my furriest one anyway. Rinsed them both off and I think that made them more comfortable. The days are shorter and the sun is lower, and it's still hot! I left him enough hair in case we get a cold snap, but he doesn't look very spiffy for the parade this weekend!

Marsha

Our minis are starting to get their winter coats too -- and it is 90 degrees out today! They are sweating and itching!

I keep telling them winter will be here soon enough.

JJ

If they don't have to look pretty for anyone, I do a partial clip this time of year - getting head, neck and belly hair off helps them stay a little more comfortable. We've had several days up and over 100 here lately!

Jan

You people who live in the "warmer" parts of the country have minis that benefit from it. We are still getting warm days that have the horses a bit uncomfortable in their winter coats. I could not think about clipping them now. I doubt there would be time enough for them to grow a protective coat before sub freezing temperatures become our normal temperatures. Having them wear blankets and run in and out just do not go well together.

[SIZE=14pt]Roy grew his clipped hair in as a very stilish winter coat!!Its still hot so I dont know what to do!!I hope he sweats it off!!I dont have any clippers (neighbours being a real b*%#$!!!).[/SIZE]

My girl put on a few pounds this summer and I am lunging her 3-4 X weekly. She too has started her winter coat. I did a modified trace clip on her. Up the flank, the shoulder and the lower part of her neck and a strip up her jaw line to her ears and around the base of her ears where she sweats under the halter. We're still quite warm here in NH, but the nights are getting chilly. I know cold weather is just around the corner yet she could do with a touch up. I'm afraid to clip again.
unsure.gif

We regularly drive for two to three hous when we go out, so I too, have had to clip a very low trace-clip. Mainly just the belly, between the front legs, and up the underside of the neck.

Thanks for the clipping tips. I never had this problem before. Helps to know there are other furry minis out there getting too hot! I understand the mosquitoes that carry WNV are fall ones, so I was reluctant to clip off his mosqito barrier.

Marsha

Latest posts

Back