winter and fall reciepes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
OK..........lets hear your favorite ones. I have been in a cooking mood lately and have made home made soup already and have something brewing in the kitchen now.

I love to cook but dont have any recipes so I need ideas!!!! I like stuff I can make and freeze as i normally eat that way and there is only one of me.

I make tons of freezable stuff. Lasagna: I freeze in those tiny loaf pans. Stews, pinto beans and ham, Jambalaya , Gumbo : all frozen in bags. cant think of more LOL just woke up
wacko.gif

Yep but I need good reciepes as I have none! All the things I know to make are in my head.

I sure do agree ...there is just about every redeipe imaginable on the web. Just do a search for what ever you have in mind be it soup, stew, chili, casseroles etc. Used a receipe from the net last week for Pecan Pie Bars and were they ever yunmmy.
rolleyes.gif

justanothercowgirl said:
I am addicted to finding recipes online, there is so many cool sites!!!
aktion033.gif

477685[/snapback]

Get yourself a Slow Cooker (Crockpot??) I have mine on the go almost all Winter. Chicken soup moves on to French Onion and so on. Whats left goes in the dog bowls. Potatoes, Onions, Chicken and you are away.

heres one of our fav winter recipies.

6 center cut pork chops

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

5-6 cans dawns fresh steak sauce

In a crockpot pour in both cans of soup and all cans of dawns steak sauce. turn to hi. Brown porkchops in skillet and then put in soup in crockpot. cook on high 5 hrs or until meat falls off the bone.

this gravy it makes is so good! i serve it with mashed potato's etc.

You do not have to brown the porkchops first but i always do

Kay

I make a similar one to kays......

I use chicken breasts bone in skin off

can of cream of mushroom soup

1 huge onion

lots of fresh garlic

season with whatever spices you like I use curry

throw it all together either in a crock pot all day or in a baking pan covered with foil in the oven at 350 for about an hour (depends on how much chicken)

serve with egg noodles ...

I am in the mood to make a meat pie but that will be a complicated dish to do on a weekend
wink.gif

a friend of mine made this awesome bean dish.....brown sausage and drain then in a crock pot add the sausage, 1 can pinto beans, 1 can red beans, 1 can other beans (I like black beans) add about 1/2 bottle of ketchup and cook on medium ......makes a great side dish or just eat that with bread.........

I'm with Rabbit! I like a crock pot / slow cooker!!! I'm not a great cook but I like to put cubed beef in it, mushroom soup, and onion soup mix, or chicken breasts and cream of chicken soup, etc.

Also, I like to make chilli but HATE kidney or pinto beans, so I make it with Bush's baked beans instead and it's really good that way!

I like to make big pots of things in winter too. One of our favorites is CALICO BEANS! in a crockpot i put 12 cans of different kinds of beans (black beans, purple hulls, kidney, pinto, great northern, etc), browned ground beef, 1 lb browned cut up crisp bacon, ketchup, brown sugar, dried mustard (i had a recipe once but now i do it to taste)....let it cook for the day...mmmmmm. i make lots extra and put it in containers to take to work for the week. great with corn bread or garlic bread.....sticks to the ribs and warms you up on a cold wisconsin day!

jennifer
saludando.gif

I'm becoming more and more convinced that I need to get a crock pot...

Also, I like to make chilli but HATE kidney or pinto beans, so I make it with Bush's baked beans instead and it's really good that way!
I don't care for Kidney beans either (I'll eat them if I get chilli made for me) so I use chick peas in my chilli. Gives it so much COLOR! Bright red chilli with green peppers and yellow chick peas...mmmmmmm

One I like:

Brown some boneless skinless chicken breasts in the frying pan.

Boil some egg noodels or spiral noodles

Cut the chicken into chunks

Stir chicken, noodles and a couple of cans of cream of chicken soup and some

water or milk. Stir in some grated mozza cheese if you want and

Salt and pepper to taste. Freezes pretty well.

Another:

Brown ground beef, green pepper, and oinion

Boil spiral noodles

Mix together with some can mushrooms, spaghetti sauce and tomato soup. Also

freezes well.

One of our favorite cold weather recipes is Chicken and Dumplings! (Sorry, no crock pot.)

Cut up some boneless/skinless chicken breasts and pop them in a pot with a couple of Tablespoons of oil (I use olive oil) to lightly brown.

Sprinkle a couple teaspoons Poultry Seasoning over the chicken while browning.

Add chopped carrots, onions, sliced mushrooms (or whatever vegie you prefer).

Stir everything and let saute for about 5+ minutes while making the dumpling batter.

Dumpling Batter: 2 cups BISQUICK, 2/3 cup milk -- stir together to make a dough.

Add to chicken pot, 2 cans Chicken Broth and bring to a boil.

Drop large spoonfuls of the dumpling dough into the broth. Reduce the heat to Low.

Cook for 10 minutes UNCOVERED. Reset timer, COVER the pot and cook for for an additonal 10 minutes.

Touch-test the dumplings after that. They should be firm and not gummy. Otherwise, cook for a few minutes longer.

Serve in a soup bowl as a COMPLETE MEAL.
aktion033.gif

MA

PS: I am a lousey soup maker, but my chicken and dumplings always end up great --

go figure.......
wacko.gif

Well I hate beans so those recipes are out. Mom makes chili and sends part ot me as her bf dont eat alot of stuff she makes. SO I do get some good food. But when she makes it the Beans stay out! She loves them but I dont. I also hate mushrooms but dont have to worry about them in anything as her BF is severally allergic to them.

MiniV that sounds ssssooooooo good!

When I'm in a pinch I make this quick and easy meal and it's a favorite.

One packet of Betty Crocker buttermilk bisquit envelope (where all you do is add water) . It makes 6 buscuits. Or you could make some Bisquick buscuits.

One can of Chicken A LA King. Bake the biscuits and heat up the can of Chicken A La Kind. Kinda reminds me of buiscuits and gravy. Fast, warm and hearty!

These sound good, I got them off of a msg board today and plan to try them.

Crockpot Chicken

Whatever chicken you have on hand...boneless skinless pieces works best, though. We frequently use bone-in thighs, less bones to pick out, but I have used a whole chicken (not cut up) Usually 6-8 thighs

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 chopped onion

2 packets dry Hidden Valley ranch mix, or 6TBS if you get the big container like us

1 8oz brick of cream cheese

Place onions, chicken and soup in crockpot, sprinkle HVR and pepper if you like on top.

On high 4-5 hours, or low 6-8 hours, or until meat falls off the bone when stirred. Remove bones (if any) and add the brick of cream cheese, leave on low for another 30 min or so while you make rice (also good over noodles)

Crockpot Triple Chocolate Mess

1 pkg chocolate cake mix

1 pint sour cream

1 pkg instant choolate pudding

1 small bag choco chips (6 oz)

3/4 cup oil

4 eggs

1 cup water

Spray crockpot with non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients until smooth. Pour into crockpot. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve with ice cream.

Gosh, I SURE don't want to spend 6-8 hrs smelling the cake
laugh.gif
Will need to do that one while I'm sure to be out of the house.
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back