Why didn't they open up Houston Freeway?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
I saw the Interstate Freeway leaving Houston on the news and it's been gridlocked for two days heading NORTH.

Heading South is basically empty! WHY didn't they close all south bound traffic and open ALL lanes to north bound traffic?????

Stupid!

MA

If you watch the news they will only show what they deem is necessary to spur your interest. About five hundred miles of roadways were opened up to one way traffic leading away from Houston.

There was one highway (forget which number!) that they did not turn into one-way because they needed the inbound lanes to get assistance vehicles in.

Then another highway (45 I think, but could be wrong on that) was completely shut down for awhile this morning because of a fatal bus fire. The bus was carrying elderly evacuees--some were killed, but at the time I heard about it there were no numbers being given out.

Earlier this afternoon at least some of the outbound lanes (again, I cannot quote highway numbers) were moving along quite smartly. At that point in time the gridlock was ended, so I hope that has continued.

well the hov u can now go backward so that is moving things along. but as a houstonian living, riding through the storm it is because of all of the panic and chaos since it is supposed to be worse than katrina, people r half scared to death. i know form first hand experience from passing out cold water to stranded people, they were all trembling and shaking and some were ill and others were just in tears due to the fact of being stranded with no ood medicine and cells r not working an du had no clue were ur loved ones were.
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

this probaly sounded odd coming from an 11 year old

I would have already died being stuck in that traffic like that! Where's everyone supposed to pee??????

They said last night that they were opening up that other lane but so far they didn't! What's their stupid hold up?

Yesterday they did close down I-45 to southbound traffic and had all lanes heading north. The bus fire was way north, near Dallas. They also had NG troops going around w/fuel trucks to help out those that had run out or simply could not find any fuel. We are 190 miles N, just off I-45 and on a direct run from 45 to Waco, some gas stations here are price gouging ( nice huh?) the gro stores are packed and there is hardly anything left anyhow.

Minimor said:
There was one highway (forget which number!) that they did not turn into one-way because they needed the inbound lanes to get assistance vehicles in.
Then another highway (45 I think, but could be wrong on that) was completely shut down for awhile this morning because of a fatal bus fire.  The bus was carrying elderly evacuees--some were killed, but at the time I heard about it there were no numbers being given out.

Earlier this afternoon at least some of the outbound lanes (again, I cannot quote highway numbers) were moving along quite smartly.  At that point in time the gridlock was ended, so I hope that has continued.

472260[/snapback]

Thanks, Minimor....

The excuse of needing inbound lanes doesn't fly as all of Texas's interstates have service roads running parallel.

The horrific bus fire that happened this morning was on Hwy 45 but cleared out fairly quickly.

My problem, I guess is, we know Texas very well, and know many folks and are stressing out from a distance up here in the Northwest!

MA

Why are the gas stations allowed to raise prices??? Why has the government not frozen all non- price related raises?? I am absolutely SICK of the obscene profits these people make. Let them actually absorb the loss for once, there is NO chance they will go bust or survive on the basis of the little money they are getting from these people- and the independent gas stations should be shot ( well, they should at least be ashamed of themselves)

Wellll I wont start on why I think Gas prices have shot up , why the Gov hasnt put their foot down and said, basically, we are the largest buyer and wont pay such and such for gas. Yes,. supply and demand, understand, but, airlines arent raising fares because people wont pay, gas should be the same. Doesnt help that we are a nation of spoiled kids that want our fuel hogs and wont do anything about it. Lets just say that if there was a Democrat in office and this happened, people wouldnt just be sitting idly by and saying NOTHING.

Latest posts

Back