Why aren't my clippers working

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart k ranch

Reaction score
I've had these clippers for about a year and only clipped one mini, with a couple of bridle paths.

They don't look dull, they are clipping a little bit but make a weird noise if I try to them clip against the skin.

Would that mean there dull?

P.S. -I've ever had to sharpen blades but maybe one.

sounds like you dont have the blades on tight. Take them off and put them back on and be sure when you turn it on you see the blades going back and forth. Especially if they are making a noise as loose blades do that

Thanks! but they move back and forth just fine. They are oiled every 15 minutes when I use them

Do you have the extra plastic thing that moves the blades that comes with the clippers (not sure what it is called)? it could be broken. Also, if you take your blades off the clippers can you move the blade back and forth easy or is it hard? Is there a lot of hair build up under the blade? When you clipped your mini was he clean or dirty (a dirty or dusty horse will dull your blades). Sorry for the questions but this may help in figuring out what is wrong. I also have Andis clippers and love them.

When I did the brindle paths I didn't wash the horse but the full body I did wash the horse first. I cleaned out the inside of the clippers I can tell it was all greasey(sp). I guess I oiled it well. They turn on like normal but don't work when you put them to hair...

Last edited by a moderator:
Two ideas:

Andis clippers don't like oil down in them. I ruined Andis clippers getting oil down in the motor. If you oil the blades be sure it doesn't get down inside the clipper.

Also, if you try to use the clippers when it is really cold outside and your clippers have been stored outside, they will not work and make a noise as you describe. Bring your clippers in overnight to warm.

The clippers are in a heated tack room, and I use a spray to oil the blades.

I'm just going to buy a set of extra blades and see if it works

Check out http://www.bladeguyz.com

Spray coolant does not oil blades properly and should not be used. Your blades are likely dull, and there may also be something amiss with your clippers if the strange noise is coming from within the casing. The place above is excellent and fast when it comes to blade sharpening and clipper maintenance.

I have used the coolant and it says it lubes the blades. It doesn't. I use good old fashioned clipper oil. I make sure I get a drop in each side and in the middle. Then I wipe off the excess oil. I never let any oil inside the clippers. I have several blades of the same size so as I am clipping and they start to get hot I change blades and let them cool naturally. When I pop them back on I oil them, wipe them and away I go. But this is just me. I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back