When vaccines "explode"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanminiponygirl

Reaction score
Was giving shots to my mares this morning, EWE and Tetanus. Apparently did not have the needle on tight and when I injected, the needle and syringe separated. Vaccine flying, hits my eye and face. It was a Fort Dodge vaccine, my fault for not getting the needle tight. However, there is nowhere on the packaging that gives you a 1-800 to call for emergencies. Had to find a website for them that gave the phone numbers 1-800-298-7486. Rinsed my eye and face as well as I could til I got in touch with them. Tech said to flush eye and skin for 20 minutes. Killed virus, so no harm there, just some irritation. See doctor if persists more than 6 hours. Sure wish they would put some info on the packaging tho, would save my sanity! Moral of the story--double check that your needles are on tight and keep your face out of the way!

Oh, I bet that was scary for you, getting that in your eyes!
default_new_shocked.gif

A lot of people say to give vaccines by inserting the needle into the horse and then attaching the full syringe and administering. Huh, that doesn't work for me at all, I get the same results as you did (though mine didn't go in my eyes, yikes!) I have to just give the shot like they do to people-- stick it in.

I hope you will be ok!

To avoid this problem use LuerLoc syringes.Needles screw on and can't come off-available at some mail order places.I like them best.

I am fine, just a little frantic ( I'm going to go blind!!
default_new_shocked.gif
) until I could get in touch with the Fort Dodge people--they were very helpful. I've had the vaccine on my hands before, but never in my eye. I will certainly purchase the LuerLoc needles from now on!!

Latest posts

Back