What is everyone feeding their minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdhand

Reaction score
I have been reading about feeding the miniatures. We had a Nutrena Feed Representative come and talk with us extensively. We have decided to feed Vitality 14 to the babies and the show horses. We have been adding a handful of soaked beet pulp to each feeding. One AM One PM. He suggested feeding Lite Balance to the Broodmares as they are fat, but lacking in some nutrients. I would love to hear everyone elses comments on feeding. Thanks

show horses that are over 1 year

purina horsemens edge

alfalfa hay

boss

show horses yearlings

purina equine jr

hay

boss

weanlings

equine jr

hay

broodmares

alfalfa hay until last 30 days then equine jr added

the only supplement i have ever used is body builder on show horses that needed to gain weight. great stuff but very exspensive. as you can see i like to keep feeding very simple

kay

I think you are going to find a lot of varied answers to your question as many Forum members feed as many different feeds as there are members!

This is what works for me:

Weaned foals -

Progressive Nutritions Alfalfa Diet Balancer, Progressive's Foal Starter and Creep Pellets, Alfalfa pellets mixed with some beet pulp, Alfalfa hay and grass hay.

Broodmares and stallions - Progressives' Alfalfa Diet Balancer, alfalfa pellets with some beet pulp, grass hay.

Mares with nursing foals - same as the broodmares with added Progressive Foal Starter and Creep.

Yearlings and 2 Yr olds - Same as the Broodmares and Stallions, the only difference is the amount they get.

Show horses -

Progressives' Alfalfa Balancer mixed with Progressives High Fat balancer as needed, dry beet pulp, alfalfa pellets and grass hay.

Any horse needing more weight can have Progressives High Fat Balancer, more alfalfa and more beet pulp.

Any horse needing to lose weight can be fed Progressives' Grass Formula Diet Balancer and grass hay.

I don't feed any grain here and have been very successful with the weight and condition of my horses with the Progressive products.

All mine are on dry lots.

They all get either Purina Equine Adult or Purina Equine Junior (depending on the age or use, like my mare who just weaned a foal is on Junior).

They all also get really gorgeous, soft orchard grass hay.

They show horses get more of the Purina and less of the hay proportionally to the other horses. The show horses also get flax seed.

Ours are fed 2x a day and dewormed every other month as adults and every month until they are a year or so old.

All have mineral licks.

That's about it. I'm very happy with how the horses look though of course they are shaggy now and some are a little fat coming into winter (but that's not a bad color this time of year).

My mini gets fed Eqine Adult both morning and night. He gets about 2-3 flakes of hay a day depending on who feeds him, what size the flakes are, and how much the other horse in the paddock lets him eat (she's a quater horse who's loves hay). He also gets free choice of ABC Rush Creek and Redmond Salt. He also gets mouthfuls of Eqine Sr. in the morning because he mooches off our big girl.

Everyone here gets Progressive Nutrition ProAdvantage grass formuls, grass hay and BOSS. I'm going to be trying the Progressive Lo-Carb soon.

Latest posts

Back