What Have You Been Offered Besides Money For Minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaddax3

Reaction score
Some people like to barter, which is fine.

I recently had the opportunity to swap a Miniature horse for Guinea pigs. When I turned that generous offer down, the counter-offer was a non-specified amount of bushels of Honey-crisp apples. I guess the number of bushels was open to negotiation.

I passed on that offer, too.

What have you been offered for a horse besides money?

And did you take it?

Not a mini, buuuuuut I traded a GreenWing Macaw for a APHA 2 year old stud. I was happy because I got rid of that bird, the other person was happy because she also had a few weanlings, and yearlings, so he had to go.

We traded a steel car hauler trailer - heavy as sin - for a bunch of hay. Great deal IMO!

Guineas eh?? Wow I'm surprised you didn't jump at it!

We were offered a 12 foot livestock trailer with divider for one of our stallions that we sold in 2007 and we took it instead of money. Comes in handy with having beef cattle here also at our farm. We needed one and they offered, so it was a done deal and everyone was happy in the end
default_smile.png

Not a mini but we traded a hay elevator

for hay a few years ago

We didn't need it so it was a good deal for us

The only thing we were ever offered for a mini was

another mini or 2 in trade never took them up on those offers though

Last edited by a moderator:
We traded our 26" stallion, who we didn't use anymore on our mares, for open wheel Jerald cart that needed new patent. I LOVE my "new" cart and the lady loves Teddy.

We also traded a weanling filly for an older mare, a Meadowbrook for a mare, hand painted farm signs for partial payment on a colt, farm-sitting for partial payment, and Breyer horses for a colt.

I LIKE to barter!!

Lucy

A really huge mean MULE! Just the head on that thing was so big it must have weighed a hundred pounds! He was so strong I couldn't hardly even lead him back out the driveway and oh my gosh could he ever fire out both hind legs and kick to kill. Sorry, no deal!

Also, once I purchased a mini who arrived dreadfully sick and subsequently died in the hospital shortly afterwards. I was offered a farm credit replacement where I could take my pick between a half blind llama, OR a very very elderly senior mini mare who was completely blind. I took my licks, and declined this most generous and fair offer and took my business elsewhere in the future....
default_frusty.gif

A child.

I turned them down.

(Judging from the way the little one was behaving, I think they were only half kidding...)

Another child, another horse, another day...who knows?

We have traded several times. Once we bartered for well/ pump repair and they took home a little mini baby they had fallen in love with. We have also traded minis for auto repairs and were very happy to do so. And of course have traded horses for hay.

A wrought iron fence! I had someone who was buildiing a wrought iron fence for me and asked if I would give him a couple minis in exchange for the work. Problem was that my minis are part of my family so I had to politely decline!
default_biggrin.png

Liz R.

I have traded minis for other minis, also:

Traded 2 minis for a arabian mare

Traded 1 mini for a arabian mare

Traded a arabian filly for a mini 2 year old colt

Traded a modern shetland and a mini stud colt for a arabian mare, then I traded that arabian for a mini mare.

Traded a mini mare for a 4 wheel miniature wagon, a bunch of harnesses for minis, a western saddle set(8" seat), and 3 calf huts(come in handy when you need shelter if you set up electric fence in a field as they can easily be moved around and are big enough to house 2-3 minis comfortably).

Traded a arabian filly for a mini mare in foal.

I guess that is all.

This year I was offered a diamond tennis bracelet
default_smile.png

Kay

While I have never traded for a mini or to get a mini, it is never a bad deal if both parties walk away happy.

The frame and roof of the new pole barn I am building was put up by someone that purchased some mini from me a few years back. If we could rewind or fast forward, I am sure we could have worked out something. None the less, I was very fair and honest with minis they purchased, and they were very reasonable and honest with the work they did for me, all good things come full circle.

Once, years ago, a lady emailed and asked if we'd take a Maine-Anjou bull in trade for a Miniature Horse - and when we emailed back to politely decline as our bulls are all Black Angus, she went off on a rant about how some people think they're better than others?? Too weird.

I'm more than happy to trade if the trade is something I need/want.

A few years ago I traded a homozygous black pinto filly for a small miniature horse trailer. That's been the best trade ever! The little trailer is soooo handy and so much easier to deal with than the big gooseneck if I'm needing to move just one or two horses.

I'd be happy to trade for hay, fencing, farm work, home repairs, etc.
default_smile.png

A child.
I turned them down.

(Judging from the way the little one was behaving, I think they were only half kidding...)

Another child, another horse, another day...who knows?
Someone to answer the phone! Kids LOVE to answer the phone! Ours are long gone and now we have to do that.

I have traded minis for minis. Once successfully, once not....

I also traded a macaw for a miniature mare once. That worked out well for both parties.

I agree that if both people are happy it is a great way to do business.

A lady offered me a Nigerian Dwarf doe who was pregnant. I think I'll stick with horses. Now this women also bred and raised Dutch Warmbloods now that would have been a good trade. Lol
default_biggrin.png

Several years ago there was a Goffin Macaw auctioned off at the World Sale to benefit the youth program. I bought him and we kept him around here since then. Loudest, but sweetest durn bird in the history of man kind.
default_wacko.png

Anyway, we were having some concrete poured here at the farm and the guy approached Cindy about trading the goffin for the concrete work. I was all in favor of it needless to say and she swapped him off. Several weeks later the same guy came back and traded some more concrete for a filly for his little girl to have as a pet.
default_wink.png

Worked out well for everyone, the little girl is now showing her mini in all the 4-H shows in the area, they love the goffin and we have have a bunch of new concrete.
default_yes.gif

I traded a grade mini mare that I purchased to get out of a bad situation - did not want her but didn't want to leave her where she was... then not that long after getting her along comes a guy who wants to do work around my farm in trade for a mini for his 2 girls to love on... didn't care about papered or not. He couldn't afford to buy one but we were both very happy in the end.

And the timing of it all was divine intervention / just ment to be.

Tech traded a mini colt for customizing a full size horse trailer to fit minis (this didn't happen - dude never did the work)

I welcome trades if it works for both sides

Latest posts

Back