What do you use to prevent excessive/uneven hoof wear?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I was wondering what, if anything has worked to prevent excessive hoof wear.

My older boy, 17 this year, loves to drive. I gave him a year off. He tends to use both rear "toes" when going any faster than a slow trot. He had worn his toes quit a bit & he had some mild clicking in his rear fetlocks. Yes, we all develope noises when we start to get up there in age, it never once seemed to give him any discomfort, no heat from the joint, no favoring one leg or another, but none the less, I gave him time off, allowed his toes to grow, kept a dilligent eye on the angles of his hooves, and the clicking is gone. I was hoping to get him back out there this year, what have you found that works best, beyond hoof/joint suppliments for growth, to keep the hooves from wearing? His feet are too small for the typical old mac style boots, I have used the hoof epoxy and it does work, but it doesn't hold up on pasture or in damp conditions (quickly works itself off the hoof).

Are there any "hoof boots" for minis that really do fit?

The hoof epoxy (SuperFast from Vettech) is what I usually use. That, and allowing the hoof to grow like crazy before starting work!
default_laugh.png
Kody wears his front feet really unevenly (wears the upper left quadrant of his left front foot flat long before the rest) so for him I have to stay on top of his trimming to constantly keep the hoof round or it gets so bad it can't be fixed without a few weeks off to grow. He does that just in the paddock though, possibly from the way he paws at the gate.
default_rolleyes.gif
Since my guys have stifle issues I've got the opposite problem in the rear from your boy, i.e. the toes grow way too long way too fast and I have to keep squaring them off so nobody locks.

The good news is if your fellow is wearing his hind toes down that quickly he's clearly using his hind end pretty powerfully, which is excellent. The hard part is how to keep him sound. My friend Breanna (Minihgal) forms "glue shoes" out of the epoxy or uses the same glue to apply Epona plastic shoes and that works well for her girls but she's in California where it's dry for most of the year. It doesn't work as well in Washington!
default_biggrin.png
She did recently have actual metal shoes made for Fascination and those seem to be working quite well. Do you have a local farrier who would be willing to experiment for you?

Also, what kind of footing do you work him on? Kody's only had problems when worked regularly on pavement. In an arena or on dirt trails he doesn't seem to suffer from hoof wear.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad to hear I am not the only one. I have used the superfast, I even discovered that if you use disposeable rubber/latex gloves, if you hold the foot until it is almost set then press your palm flat against the bottom of the hoof, you can peel the glove off your hand and pull it up over the mini's hoof. It makes a good "plastic sock" around the hoof until it sets, then peel it off after it is completely set.

I have no choice but to travel the black top back road to get to the trails, but once were on the trails it is all soil and silt. Some stones, but nothing that contributes to harsh wear.

If there are others with more input, please offer it up, I am all ears!

Regency performance miniatures website has a "bits and pieces" section where she shows glue shoes and them being put on her horse. You could ask her what she uses, it isn't listed on the page but the photos are interesting to view. She is experienced and very nice to chat with.

Latest posts

Back