What Do You Feed Your Dogs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feed my 8 yr old MinPin Gunner Nutra Nuggets Lamb Meal and Rice Formula. He has never had any issues with it and I've fed it to him for at least 3 yrs. My vet said he is healthy, active and has a shiny coat with no dry skin. The main ingredient in it is LAMB and has no corn in it. One thing about my dog is he can't be "free fed", because he will eat til he is sick, so he gets fed a big meal in the AM and a smaller meal in the evening...and a few small treats during the day. :bgrin

Whoa... I wouldn't feed Pedigree if they PAID ME... let alone pay $50. for any amount!
I wouldn't make anyone feel bad about what they feed their dogs... :no: we all do our best.

My post was not intended to make anyone feel bad, it's simply my opinion. If someone feeds Pedigree or whatever, they can be proud of it or not. I've met plenty of people who think I must be "nuts" for what I spend on my dogs, but I don't let that affect me.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

[SIZE=14pt]keep waiting for someone to mention Ol' Roy
default_unsure.png
: . Nikki
[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa... I wouldn't feed Pedigree if they PAID ME... let alone pay $50. for any amount!
I wouldn't make anyone feel bad about what they feed their dogs... we all do our best.
My post was not intended to make anyone feel bad, it's simply my opinion. If someone feeds Pedigree or whatever, they can be proud of it or not. I've met plenty of people who think I must be "nuts" for what I spend on my dogs, but I don't let that affect me.

It is not always a matter of people being proud of what the feed their dogs it is often a matter of what is affordable for them. I was simply trying to point out to you that you could be more diplomatic about what you say.

I certainly realize you are entitled to your opinion, but when it is only going to hurt and not educate really what's the point?

Mininik, A lot of times it seems like your opinion is worded to be hurtful and gives the impression that no one spends quite as much money taking care of their furry friends as you do. I'd compare receipts any time you want.

I still remember back when I was getting my collie puppy years ago, you kind of read me the riot act on the breeder should do this and that (and lo and behold, she did) but the assumption on your end was that they weren't doing things right because you felt I brought her home too young. Not that I was asking for anyone's advice on when the breeder should wean, etc. It's just more of the same here.

Anytime the subject of feed comes up ... there seems to be a black or white side..but just like with horses some are sure alfalfa is the death sentance to all horses yet many feed it in fact thousands if not more with no problems and there horses look amazing, some believe in beet pulp some dont, some grain some don't some have so many supplments it is like a science experiement

Bottom line is if your horses look good and feel good it is working for you.

No different then with our dogs.. different things work for different animals I dont care what kind of feed it is animals have different needs and will thrive on different things

what works for me doesnt work for someone else no different then human diets just the way it is

No, it's not any different with dogs as to horses, but I don't think many people try and make others feel they are too cheap to feed their horses well, or don't care enough?

[SIZE=14pt]Jill, i am assuming you are not talking about me "Nikki" maybe you are speaking of mininik "Nicole"...i did not post about your collie pup and don't want people to think i would word things to be hurtful as you stated. i mentioned Ol' Roy because that's what we feed our dogs and they are very healthy and it works for us and i think the others who feed the same would never post it for fear of others thinking they were not good dog owners. i don't worry about what others fed their dogs, cats, horses or chickens as long as they ARE feeding them and they are healthy. i just don't want readers to confuse me.
default_smile.png
Nikki
[/SIZE]

:eek: My little dog doesn't like some food; and my vet doesn't like some food. So I listen to both of them. I find a feed that is dry, which my vet recommends, and yet something that my dog likes. I have also switched to a different brand if she starts getting chunky. And I change food occaisionally when I see she is eating less as I think dogs like variety just as we do. I do it mostly with treats, but I also change brands of feed if I feel it is for her own good. It doesn't matter which brand I feed except to my dog. As long as she is happy and healthy, I've done as much as I can for her.
default_yes.gif
: I think the most important point is knowing your dog and feeding them regularly; watching to see what they like and what works to keep them fit and healthy!

[SIZE=14pt]Jill, i am assuming you are not talking about me "Nikki" maybe you are speaking of mininik "Nicole"...i did not post about your collie pup and don't want people to think i would word things to be hurtful as you stated. i mentioned Ol' Roy because that's what we feed our dogs and they are very healthy and it works for us and i think the others who feed the same would never post it for fear of others thinking they were not good dog owners. i don't worry about what others fed their dogs, cats, horses or chickens as long as they ARE feeding them and they are healthy. i just don't want readers to confuse me.
default_smile.png
Nikki
[/SIZE]
Oh, no! No, I wasn't talking to you. Sorry!!!

I agree Jill and I don't feed my dogs there food due to cost I feed it for one simple reason.. I have fed it for years and have dogs that are healthy and look good and like the food.

If my vet felt there was issues with them I would of course change but until he feels there is a health issue with my dogs or they look or act differently I am opting to go with what works FOR THEM AND ME

Yes, I think that is what 99.99% of the people here do, as we all love our doggies
default_yes.gif
:

I have to say, i was really surprised to see the scores the dog food I used to feed (Bil Jac) got on some of the rating pages posted here. I stopped feeding it b/c I felt it was "too rich" for the little dogs but I think it's a good feed... But, I think A LOT of feeds are and I think even the ones some knock are better for dogs than what most of us as their owners choose to eat.

Additionally, we have often fed lesser expensive but easier to find dog foods when we run out of what we normally choose for them, yet don't have time to run to a speciality store. Dogs love the change
default_smile.png

AND, further, I do follow your thinking on puppy food for them vs Adult. Personally, I think that's probably not a bad idea at all for the extra nutrition and digestablity but whatta I know... I'm just a life long dog owner
default_wink.png
: Really, possibly similar reasoning as what i went through when I decided to feed ALL my age group of minis complete senior feed as their "grain" regardless of age.

We feed our older Black LabxRottweiler Purina Adult Formula and he isnt like most black labs (he is pretty much all black lab, mom was a teensy weensie bit rotty) who eat as much as they can, he gets 2 big plastic mugs full 1 in the morning and one in the evening. He isnt fat and isnt thin, hes perfect. I am most likely shaving him soon with my clippers.

Why would I want to compare receipts, Jill, as if spending more money makes the better owner? I spend a bit more on food for my dogs in hopes of SAVING money on vet care (which has worked so far). My point is definitely not that spending more money = better care, but it sure seems that's what your opinion is.

To be honest, I don't remember my post about your Collie's breeder, but then I don't try to remember every detail of everything that goes on within this forum over the years. Perhaps I wasn't reading the riot act to you back then, just giving you some things to look for in a responsible breeder in hopes that you may avoid the heartache I see owners go through all too often as someone who works in the pet care industry.

To those who I may have offended, I am so sorry I don't use or recommend Pedigree, Ol Roy, Science Diet, Iams/Eukanuba, Dawn dish soap, etc. It shouldn't matter, but I am not rich. Feeding my dogs well is not some ego trip for me. The problem I see with waiting until your pet shows there is a problem from using this or that product is that it's often too late by then. Why do I care? In short it's because I see how these issues can affect pets on a daily basis.

quote name='mininik' date='Jul 18 2007, 02:12 PM'

"To those who I may have offended, I am so sorry I don't use or recommend Pedigree, Ol Roy, Science Diet, Iams/Eukanuba, Dawn dish soap, etc. "

[SIZE=18pt] [/SIZE]

offended...not at all...i feed what i do because my dogs have never had an issue with it or any health problems. i will also say i know many people who fed the "right" foods and their animals have had all kinds of health issues so i am not sold on the fact that my dogs will someday suffer because of my choice of food. i have tried many brands of food over the years and this is the one that none of my dogs have an issue with, so that's what they get. to be honest i don't have a clue what different foods cost compared to Ol' Roy. i don't pay attention, just put it in my cart because we need it. i am curious to know why you are sorry for not using or recommending certain brands though? i certainly am not sorry for not using what others do. to each his own i guess
default_wacko.png
: ...Nikki

I think really all our members do a good job caring for their dogs. Nothing goes together better than dogs and horses.

Karla, all these winks you've been given to my posts the past couple of weeks, I'm starting to wonder if you're flirting with me!!! :bgrin

We dont have a dog, however, my brother works full time (trucker, family business
default_smile.png
) and so does his wife (nurse) so when they drop off their son, they normally drop off their jack russell terrior.

I have never heard of people COOKING for there dogs! That is something new lol. You guys are good doggie momma's
default_smile.png

Since we do have Jedi (my brothers dog) here 5x a week, normally 24hours at a time, we keep dog food stocked. He is six years old and we feed him Pedigree. He is healthy, happy and alive. Do you want pics for proof?

Jill this topic reminds me of that quote in your signature ....

When we're done debating feed programs, can we move on to politics and religion?

Leeana --

You should see what my MOM cooks for her and my dad's dogs. It's crazy how good they eat and I can tell you, my mom's a good cook :bgrin

It is interesting how strongly some people feel about what they think others should feed their own dogs! Just like you say, not any different than in horses.

I'm curious what others do, and always room to learn, but I don't get hot about anything anyone else feeds to their own animals.

The whole "what do you feed your dogs" thing was top of my mind since we recently made a change, and the dogs are enjoying it.

Jill

Latest posts

Back