We haven't had a GOOD IDEA thread in awhile......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
I have looked EVERYWHERE for really small buckets for the minis NO ONE had them so.....this morning I was cleaning out my kitchen cubboard and throwing out a bunch of yogurt containers and the light bulb came on.

I used a big nail (I heated on the stove and melted holes in each side), hollow core rope I burned the ends, and a yogurt container. Just feed the rope back into itself. Also a sharpie marker for the horses names. This is just the right size for their ration balancer and beet pulp. Now I can make one trip from the feed room to each horse. I have 3 biggies and 3 minis.

So WHATS your good idea?

Dsc01741.jpg

I use a soldering iron to make holes in plastic or the synthetic halters. Goes thru like butter and seals the holes at the same time. Take care

We had minis for years before we had outside frost free pumps at each paddock, so I have a tip for lugging water when the hoses are frozen. If you use plastic gas cans (new ones that were never used for gas before) then you can carry 5 gallons at a time w/o it slushing out as it will from a bucket.

Also anyone new to having frost free pumps, be sure to disconnect the hoses when you are done. I did not know better at first
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I like these ideas!! Especially the one using a 5 gallon gas container to carry water. I can't begin to tell you how often I have spilled water everywhere, including all down my legs, lugging water buckets. In the winter time I have to carry water from my kitchen sink and many times have spilled it getting the bucket out of the sink. This will be so much easier. Thanks for these terrific tips!!! :aktion033:

Whitney, I love your homemade buckets, great idea! :aktion033: I use the buckets that psyllium comes in, but occasionally a handle will break; now I now what to do to make NEW handles. Thanks!
default_smile.png

The other thing I do in the winter to help prevent spilled buckets on myself is I keep sled close by (the plastic one with the edges) and I put them in there and just don't pull it fast. That way it spills in the sled and not on me.

I use a soldering iron to make holes in plastic or the synthetic halters. Goes thru like butter and seals the holes at the same time. Take care

I never thought of using the soldering iron. I have been using a nail on the stove too for things like holes in halters and such. I will try to remember the soldering iron. So glad there are so many others helping me with my thinking these days
default_smile.png

I have a big horse bell outside the barn door, I have taught my minis to come when the dinner bell is ringing. :aktion033:

They sure learn fast :488: since I cannot whistle.

My neighbour yelled over once!

"Coming be right there for supper!"
default_wink.png
:

Another ideal, first time using this year, and was mentioned by another forum member is the wet vac.

Helps try my horses and switch the hose around and gets rid of dirt and hair in the spring.

You can pick one up at Canadian tire for around $69.00 / Just makes a great difference and believe me your horse will accept this very easily. Surprised to see how they really enjoy the massage or the warm air when drying them down on a cool day. :new_shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 9 indoor cats --- and we go through a whole lot of scoopable kitty litter each month. The brand we buy comes in large plastic buckets with nice snap on lids. The handles are made to carry weight (28lbs of kitty litter in them to start with) - they are perfect for storing things, toting heavy things etc..

Not good for feedbuckets or buckets to drink out of (tops too narrow and buckets too deep) -- but with the snap on lids you have mouse proof storage containers -- and can carry water in them too (without spilling).

Best thing is THEY ARE FREE - and other than cleaning them out - you don't have to do anything special to them.

JJay

We have 9 indoor cats --- and we go through a whole lot of scoopable kitty litter each month. The brand we buy comes in large plastic buckets with nice snap on lids. The handles are made to carry weight (28lbs of kitty litter in them to start with) - they are perfect for storing things, toting heavy things etc..

Not good for feedbuckets or buckets to drink out of (tops too narrow and buckets too deep) -- but with the snap on lids you have mouse proof storage containers -- and can carry water in them too (without spilling).

Best thing is THEY ARE FREE - and other than cleaning them out - you don't have to do anything special to them.

JJay
I have some of those that we store shipping boots and other horse supplys in!

These are awesome ideas, especially the yogurt container buckets. I eat alot of yogurt, so I'll have to remember to save some when I eventually get a mini.

As Jill does, I use big containers. Mine are blue and are actually for water & found in the camping department at WM. ( This helps if you have grown sons who "borrow" all your red gas cans!!!
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) But, they are tall and so need to use the spray hose at the sink. I like to use a hose that will pop onto my faucet as you can then fill the container while it is on the floor -- you know that 6 gallons of water his quite heavy! Helps to not have to lift it up and out of the sink.
default_wink.png
:

I always keep a couple extra hoses in the garage for winter. Then when I don't bring one I've used in, or drain it well enough (happens every year :no: ) I have an extra one to get me through, as I mumble to myself about knowing better than to have left it out!

A couple tarps are normally on my list this time of year -- never know when you will need them in winter.

The make great wind blocks if tied onto a cattle panel. Never know when a winter storm causes the need to cover "something" to prevent damage, or until you can repair.

One of the BEST investments I ever made were the heated electric tubs! :aktion033: :aktion033: Took me years but, I got them -- do without something else you "think" you "must have" to buy one or more if you have the electric to hook it up! WHAT a wonderful feeling to know you only need to roll and unroll a hose and not bust ice or haul hot water 3X a day ! Woooweee! If you don't have/can't get or use these, make some enclosures for your water tubs to help block the wind, that will help with the degree of freeze.

Buy some rock salt, ahead of time, to keep some walkway areas open to the barn if you have snow/ice in your area.

Latest posts

Back