We had a mare abort today.. :(

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mock2Farms

Reaction score
It was a sad day here. We lost one of our most anticipated foals for 2009.

Dolly was a maiden mare. We don't know why she aborted. She was fine last night before bed and seemed fine this morning. I wouldn't have even known it was her if my horses weren't stall kept. She is still doing well and Im just thankful she is okay as she is very special to us.

The baby was a colt and looked like it as going to be marked like momma. Everything seemed normal to me and it was also normal size for how far along it was.

She was about 6 months along. If anybody sees anything abnormal with the fetus please tell me. This was the first foal we have lost pre-term. I have other pictures if anyone would like to use them for educational purposes.

Foal054.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
{{{HUGS}}}

I'm so sorry.
default_no.gif
I'm glad your mares seems OK. You may want to have her examined but you probably know that. I personally don't see anything obvious with the foal. You may never know which sometimes can make it even harder. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry. I know I would be heartbroken if one of my mares aborted. Crayonbox Miniatures has a great site on fetal development that they use these type of photos for, you might want to contact them to see if they could use it. Looks like your baby was going to have some really pretty flashy markings. I hope your mare recovers perfectly and is able to produce nice foals for you in the future.

(((((HUGS)))))

default_no.gif
:No-Sad So very sorry for your loss. I have a mare about 6 months along right now and I know I would be devastated if she lost it! I'm glad your mare is doing well, and I would definitely have her examined ASAP by your vet.

I'm so sorry, what a disappointment
default_sad.png
Our vet recommended flushing and a culture when we lost one.

I would be looking at the placenta for any black or dark marks indicating an infarct there... the foal looks normal to me. Could have been a quick virus mom got or, did you give a pneumabort shot?

Lyn

Thanks everyone..

Sorry, my first post was kind of rushed.. We have already had the vet out. (I guess it would have been a good idea to mention that!) They are luckily 5 minutes up the road and we can usually get one out within 30mins for emergencies.

I meant more so from a "mommy" (me) opinion she seemed to be doing well. She doesn't seem as depressed as I would think.

I am so sorry for your loss - how heartbreaking it is to lose a baby. My thoughts are with you are your precious mare.

So sorry for your loss. I am glad that your mare is doing good...

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I know its tuff to loose a foal like that you are waiting for.

I had a full size mare abort at like 8months last Dec. that would have been my stallions first foal.

My vet did do a blood test and found that she had been exposed to leptospirosis and also Rhino

she had had her pneumabort shot but i had yet to give her the 3rd

The lepto virus is more of a cow and pig virus but horses can get it and im assuming that my mare

musta got it early in the spring ( it causes late term abortion around 6-9months) when we had lots of

rain and the pond came up. they use to raise pigs and cows where i had the horses ( not there now) just my luck

anyway the foal was fine looked good the placenta was good just that the mare got a virus.

they are sensitive critters !

let us know if you find out the cause and may the rest of your foals all be healthy and full of life this spring!

Latest posts

Back