Victor halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
product for Miniatures? I have seen some types that look like Victors, but now that I have a few in my hands (and always looking for more), I can see that they are not the same at all.

Just having the closed ring doesn't cut it. The noseband is also shapeable, and the cable along the side is not plastic coated cable, rather patent leather and so is shinier.

I dunno, but I think if someone were to pretty much "clone" the product, wouldn't they just clean up?

Is there a problem w/that (as in copyright or trademark infringement), though, even though they are not made anymore?

I would love to be able to purchase a few more in different colors and sizes!

Liz M.

Liz,

Have you checked with PrimeDesign? I know that one of the stewards commented that their halters with the metallic nosebands reminded her alot of the Victor halters. The noseband is very flexible, she said. Give them a try, they work very well with you.

Anyway, just dropping a plug for PrimeDesign!

www.primedesigntack.com

Liz --

Seeing the ones from Ozark in person, I do not care for their version. It looks clunky or bulky to me.

However, here are two places that seem to look similar...

Prime Time Design -- comes in many colors with or without beads on the side, and with a chain and keeper for $100:

lg_PDS_Gold_Halter_05.jpg

http://www.primedesigntack.com/HaltersA.html

and

Schneider Saddlery Tack -- looks like it comes in gold and silver and is $125 for the halter alone:

16879.jpg

http://www.sstack.com/index.jsp

Jill

Thanks, Jill.

I have seen the ones from Prime Design in person and I don't care for them as much as the Victors. They are pretty, just don't have the same appeal.

And the ones from Schneiders look as close as possible. Maybe I will have to try one and see if it's comparable.

Liz

I have a Billy Royal (the one posted from sstack.com) Just got it when they came out but I don't use it often - I have 4 Victors and they get shown to death in...........the Billy Royal is good don't get me wrong, and it is very pretty -but it just isn't a Victor.

I've always loved the classy, simple elegance of the Victor halters...why did they stop making mini halters, and why couldn't they go back to producing them?

I really like the Schneider halters, as they, too, are much more dignified than the ones with all the goo-gaws, but I'd get a Victor if I could find one.

I love this one in bronze:

http://www.sstack.com/shopping/product/ano...iProductID=7357

Hi - This is Lisa from Ozark. We are all trying to make one similiar but with no luck. BKM Designs has done a great job with the noseband (it is very flexible)but the closed hook on side is larger. It fits the bigger minis very well.

Victor quit making them because he only had one person who could make them (from what I understand) and he passed away over a year ago.

Victor had been making them for years - they were made one at a time and are very labor intensive - apparentely he did not have anyone else to make them since all of us Tack vendors have asked for them.

Dont worry - we will all keep trying, especially to get the rolled leather on the sides - instead of the cable.

Wish us luck.

Hi Liz,

We bought seven Victors from one of the mini vendors after we found out they were no longer being made.

I have tried the Schneiders one (sent one back that was hard to buckle), but I can't remember the sizing if we ordered a M or L, but it fits like a Large Victor. They do look nice in a pinch and work as it feels like there is metal inside to shape it as it will hold it's shape well.

As for the BKM, we had our tack vendor (Jim Curry - JC Tack) order one directly for us as we wanted custom colors (sides/nose band). They did do it and it takes about 3 weeks. So you can get the closed ring (rings are a bit large on smaller horses)

I still don't like the 'Victory' as well as the Victors, but I haven't seen anything else I like or that works as well either. I tend to check the used halters that some of the vendors have at shows - just in case I can snag another Victor!

Michelle@wescofarms said:
Hi Liz,
We bought seven Victors from one of the mini vendors after we found out they were no longer being made.

I have tried the Schneiders one (sent one back that was hard to buckle), but I can't remember the sizing if we ordered a M or L, but it fits like a Large Victor. They do look nice in a pinch and work as it feels like there is metal inside to shape it as it will hold it's shape well.

As for the BKM, we had our tack vendor (Jim Curry - JC Tack) order one directly for us as we wanted custom colors (sides/nose band).  They did do it and it takes about 3 weeks.  So you can get the closed ring (rings are a bit large on smaller horses)

I still don't like the 'Victory' as well as the Victors, but I haven't seen anything else I like or that works as well either.  I tend to check the used halters that some of the vendors have at shows - just in case I can snag another Victor!

488018[/snapback]

My husband and I have been toying with the idea of learning how to make as close to a Victor as possible. We even put quite bit of thought into what we would call them. I have an old friend that is a pretty famous saddle maker that lives very close to me. I think he would be able to help us if we really could swing it.

I called Schneiders on those halters. They do not make the closed ring show halter with silver rings. They only have gold. The person I spoke to said she didn't know why they made them that way.

primedesignhalter.jpg

This is one of the prime design halters that Jill posted pics of. The one thing that I don't like is the side ring is drilled so the cable goes through a hole in it and then has a small connector on the inside, if you look close you can see it. I always worried that it isn't strong enough. Incidently, I did have an episode where he was acting up and the halter did break, but it was where the biothane on the top connects with the cable. The hole through the biothane was done very close to the edge and it didn't hold. I love the noseband it is hand stitched patent leather, very soft and flexible. I think it is a pretty good halter for the money and I do like they way it looks.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back